Essential Slash Chords

Slash chords are variations on the chords you already know. You’re simply changing the bass note of the chord. Tons to get into here!

View the full lesson at Essential Slash Chords | JustinGuitar

“Collective Soul - December” is a really good one too!

the image for G/F# is wrong in the video and on the website. It says we should use the second finger for F#, but you actually use the first finger in the video (which is definitely more convenient ;-)).

1 Like

Thanks for the lesson!

It would be great to have a PDF available for this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

This lesson is so long. :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

Really like the lesson on using some of these chord forms as transitions to chord progressions. I noticed a while back that Justin’s student Tammy plays the D/F# sans thumb and my anatomy seems similar in that my thumb doesn’t reach around the neck well enough to mute the 5th string.

Are there some techniques to improving the mute? Is there some palm muting going on in conjunction with the fret hand muting?

@kevguitar For the chord D/F# you do not need to mute the 5th string.
I know many chord diagrams will show an X against the 5th string but given that you are expanding it from its normal 4-string chord status to a 6-string chord, and given that A is a note in the chord, if it gets played it is fine - so long as your ears like the sound.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

I have a lot of trouble with the G/B option 2 - I can’t seem to lift my 3rd finger high enough to clear the strings while also lying my 4th finger flat to mute the 1st string. Any tips?

You could mute the 1st string with the palm of your hand, rather than a finger.

You mean this one?

You could try an alternative fingering of using your 3rd finger on the B string.
Whatever works for you and your fingers.
Or try muting the high e string with your spare index finger (the underside).
Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

Thanks for the tips! Using fingers 1 and 3 works a lot better, but I find I can also (nearly) use 2 and 4 if I focus on using my index to mute the first string. Something to practice!

Yes I was going to make the same comment!

Is the bass note in slash chords always on the top two strings?

Not always the D/F# shaped chords the bass can also be on the D string 4th fret. This is also a moveable chord shape. It also known as a first inversion because the 3rd is the bass note. You can also do the same thing with Triads on the first 3 strings and add a bass note on the D string,
For example if you play the eBG strings at the 2nd fret that is an A6 triad if you add the 4th fret D string it becomes an A6/F#

Oh ok cool thx for the help .Looking forward to learning more about inversions and other chord formation theory :slightly_smiling_face:

Having a lesson with a few of the chord progressions Justin is playing in the video would be great for practising. Hard to follow along as a beginner!

1 Like

Can we get a pdf of all these chord grips pretty please?

Joseph, I just copy and pasted them in to a Word document. You can then save as a .pdf if you like or just printer it off.

1 Like

The acoustic version of Orange by Pinegrove is a song that uses C/G, Cadd9/G, Am7/E, and Dm/A.
A perfect song to practice these chords :slight_smile: