Every Me and Every You, Placebo (cover), Sally McLennane, The Pogues (cover); March recordings

@think2100 Cheers Jay
Appreciate the listen and comment :smiley:

@roger_holland Thank you, my friend.
No smart-alec remarks from me today. I’m in a good mood and feeling generous to my fellow humans :smiley:
I still find the pick ‘harsh’ most of the time, but if I turn the volume up on the amp it drowns out some of the ‘hitting the strings’ sound, and especially if I remember/am able to hold it more gently with a quick enough strumming action, it can feel quite pleasant :wink:

@Notter Ah, but you’d soon get sick of the same song over and over again… :laughing:

@Helen0609 Vielen Dank!
I’ve been completely neglecting the Hagström- to the extent that I sometimes even look at it and wonder if I should sell it? :open_mouth: It’s not that I don’t like it anymore, I just love my HB and pick it up every time…
I quite like the Fender as an acoustic, esp. as after fixing a pickup to it so I can run it through my amp/pc. To be fair, I don’t think there are many in dumpsters :laughing:

@DavidP I’m afraid Afrikaans is a bridge too far. If it was written down, I’d have a greater chance of guessing it from the German, but not a chance. Looked interesting though.

@skinnyt Cheers, Trevor. Much appreciated :smiley:

@LBro glad you stopped by, Brother, especially as you were the spark that ignited this particular campfire :wink:

No mix/production on this (apart from mic placement). Any sound improvement is purely due to Santa bringing me a usb mic for Christmas :smiley:
I’m not sure how many Diddly-idly songs there are left in me, I’ll have to check that LP. Perhaps have a bash at the Sick Bed of Cuchullain at some stage :four_leaf_clover: :laughing:

3 Likes

Ah well. Interesting indeed, especially if you lived through it. Sad that both Ralph Rabie and James Phillips are both no longer with us.

1 Like

Must have been a bit of Leprechaun Magic on the production?

Oh, if you don’t do more of the Irish, you are missing the boat mano. It is in your blood so to speak and you da man!

I bet you even eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, no? :slight_smile:
Irish Grits!
LB

Right, so … I think I have found a happy place for the rhythm.

4/4 with a little lilting-swinging-shuffling feel to it.
I have made a version in Guitar Pro which is very programmed and mathematical and it creates a shuffle-swing feel in precisely measured style. Straight eighths become triplet eighths become shuffle feel where the sub-division is exactly 2/3 then 1/3. Human music is less precise and the longer : shorter note duration is not going to be exactly 2/3 : 1/3. Nevertheless, it comes close to capturing the right feel.

Sally 01

Drum notation:

Guitar TAB:

Sally 13

Audio track (Guitar, Drum, Accordion) at a tempo approximately the same as Brian plays, and altered to match capo at fret 3.

4 Likes

Goodness gracious, @Richard_close2u, I’m in awe of the detailed amount of work you put into this :open_mouth:
All I can say is thank you and I shall try to let it seep into my thick skin, as on first glance the ‘interaction’ of triplets and eighths is a bit overwhelming :exploding_head:
I shall let you know how I get on and no doubt be looking for further insights into this wizardry business.
Buckets of old-fashioned vibes etc. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow Richard,
You really need a hobby if you have time for this :flushed:

:laughing::man_bowing: :man_bowing::man_bowing:

Greetings…

3 Likes

Great show, Brian! That genre is fun to listen to every once in a while. It even sounded familiar in a way. I may have heard it before, but not actually familiar with it.

@Richard_close2u your lesson included in the feed is very informative. Is there a “ save this” feature on the website somewhere? I wouldn’t mind practicing that just for learning purposes. Of course I can just do a screen shot.

Brian, that IM-125 lesson you mentioned; I’m familiar with it. It’s one of the lessons I added in a practice routine to return to periodically.

2 Likes

Rogier - this is my hobby!
:dizzy_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

@pkboo3 I can send you files if you want …

1 Like

Okay - here’s a compact exercise to try.
The shuffle eighths are played Down Up Down Up etc.
The triplets are played Down Up Down.
That means when a triplet is played on beat 4 and you need to keep going to another bar you will be finishing one bar and starting the next both with a Down strum. This requires quick movement - flick-of-the-wrist.

| 1 - a 2 - a 3 - a 4-trip-let | 1 - a 2 - a 3 - a 4-trip-let | 1 - a 2 - a 3 - a 4-trip-let |

Use the drum tab and audio to hear and clap along. Use the guitar tab and audio to play along.

DRUM

GUITAR

AUDIO

The final part of the guitar is the chords from the chorus of Sally Mclennane but without a capo.

2 Likes

Sure, Richard. May be better than screen shots.

Thanks!

1 Like

But of course that’s also the only reason I said it. :grin:…but you know that…but also good to say again :sunglasses: for readers like …Brian …who is going lost himself in this soon and he shouted a while ago … NO DISTRACTION :joy: …How is that going Bian? :joy::innocent:
Greetings and have a beautiful day… :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Okay wow! I just came to hear @brianlarsen smash out an outstanding rendition of Sally McLennane (and it certainly lived up to that and more! Congrats Brian on another star performance! :clap::star_struck:) but came across a War & Peace of hidden booze, music scene nostalgia, 6/8 timing, 12/8 timing(?!), up strums, down strums, notation, soundclouds, Golden Hordes and who knows what else! :exploding_head: I need a cup of tea and lie down… :face_with_spiral_eyes: :laughing:

2 Likes

Hello @brianlarsen , oh wow, what a great performance to watch and listen to, to start into my day :star_struck:. Fantastic Irish vibes are coming over to me. I was very close to start dancing around my kitchen (would have been funny for my kids :sweat_smile:).
Thanks a lot for this - and the enthusiastic ‘Whoohoo’ at the end :smiley:.

1 Like

I do know that! :hugs: :kissing_heart: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Dia duit, Brian. Your dark depraved past brought some light to my day. You never fail to lighten the load. Well done and a very enjoyable listen.

1 Like

Diddly-dee, how Irish was that! I expected a fiddle to come out and some Irish dancing on the desk.

Nice one Brian, this adventurous stuff works for you.

1 Like

Wonderful Brian, the playing and singing were excellent and your little dumpster guitar was skipping along nicely.

Nice backstory too and this song really helped set the scene for the gig you went to.

£3, back when it just used to be about the enjoyment of the music.

1 Like

What a treat, definitely one for St Paddy’s night, a wee dram, a wee singsong and of course a wee jig! Loved it :clap:t2: :smiley:

1 Like

Brian, you have one week left till St Patrick’s day. I want more Irish stuff!

Great job, really enjoyed it! + also some classic in-depth contributions from Richard!

1 Like