Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Shortened)

Hiya!

Haven’t put up a recording of my self since I started Grade 2, I play select parts of Every Rose Has Its Thorn whenever I’m just noodling so I figured why not record my self playing it. Since I’m not singing I decided to just play select parts of the song and I tried to get all the different parts in there. Here I’m playing the intro, verse once, chorus once, link, and the bridge. Hopefully that’s enough to gauge progress. I did tune to Eb for this.

Edit: Also realized this is the first time I’m recording my self playing my acoustic!

13 Likes

Hi Alexis,

It sure is, well done man :sunglasses:… harmonica over it then next time? :smile: :wink:
Greetings,

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!

You kid but I have one laying around here somewhere. I always wanted to learn but just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

:joy:…actually,it was not totally joking…I could fit it in easely in my head…and I also got one last year,… for Neil Young Heart of Gold,and for other things of course…you have to do something if you don’t want to sing,
Well, then we should go for that one time :roll_eyes:…,there is so much to do :sweat_smile:
Greetings

1 Like

Sounding good, Alexis, excellent progress for sure. Bravo

1 Like

Hi Alexis, that was some very decent strumming! Well done.

1 Like

Thanks!
Strumming is a strength of mine I think, for me changes have been the biggest struggle. I started with my electric so acoustic strumming felt really different at first but I think I’m getting the hand of it.

You’re definitely grooving. Maybe try singing and playing when you’re ready. I’m about at the same level in lessons. I didn’t think I could until I tried. Keep up the good work.

Jeff

1 Like

Really nice one, was enjoyable to listen because it indeed felt like you were in the groove. :metal:

I went through the same experience. Controlling the sound of acoustic felt vert different and all mistakes were easier to hear. I can hear you’re already past the first “shock moment” and it will only get better from here. Your dynamics control will improve etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s definitely a goal. It’s so out of my comfort zone right now that it’s hard to do it when I’m by myself let alone posting it. I don’t want to be a great singer but just good enough to sound fine when playing.

I didn’t get into guitar thinking I would ever even buy an acoustic but one of the many things I like about Justin’s course is I get exposure to so many different styles and songs that I would even think to try.

Now I want to learn and get better using both acoustic and electric. That’s why I alternate guitars when practicing now. I’m starting to get used to it and only just really starting to be able to control the dynamics as well as I can do with the electric.

1 Like

You can do it if I can. Keep practicing and playing.

1 Like

Sounded good to me and yes strumming was really consistent and good, indeed your strength! All the best

1 Like

That is coming along nicely Alexis. Have a crack at the whole song if you can. I mean you’re nearly there as it is.

1 Like

This was really good man well done, I’m just starting grade two beginner. What strumming pattern would you say this is? Impressed with your rhythm here.

1 Like

Congrats on your first video man! I thought your rhythm was on point very nice! Keep it up! :wink:

1 Like

That was great Alex! Nice rhythm keeping the hand moving.

1 Like

Thanks Charlie,

I’m using the pattern that Justin recommends in the rock song book. It’s laid out there but he also talks about it in his video tutorial. It’s a 16th note pattern, what’s up from grade 1 also uses a 16th note pattern if you want to look at something from grade with that kind of pattern.