I’m trying to learn songs. And tripping up on even the easiest ones. The only one I can manage at the moment is horse with no name, cause it’s only really 2 chords that are very easy to switch between.
But once I move onto songs like bad moon rising, which only has 3 chords, I can’t change the chords fast enough.
It’s a little irritating, cause I’ve moved through a lot of beginner grade 2, but it’s the songs that I can’t mange.
I’d like to start actually playing songs, so I’m hoping everyone has some exercises to help me up my speed. Cause currently I struggle to manage a chords change on each beat at 60bpm.
To maintain it during strumming: 2 things: 1) Use a very simple strumming pattern (like 4 down strums per bar) and 2) go very slowly, slow enough that you can keep the rhythm smooth even over the chord changes. If the resulting speed is unbearably slow, then you need to work more on 1. above.
I believe these ideas are taught in Grade 1, so perhaps you should go back and revisit.
It sounds like you’ve moved to grade 2 too early. It’s not easy to hold rhythm and make chord changes. Bad Moon Rising is a relatively fast song so there’s limited time to make the changes.
I have found that a lot of playing full songs with lots of chord changes has a ton to do with stamina and arm strength.
So between training your fingers to land on the correct stings and notes, you are also working out those muscles in the forearm. Streach prior to practice and hydrate too. It takes consistent and regular practice to build the muscles so you dont start getting tired good technique also. Like described by jjw make sure the 1 min changes are solid.
Then just keep practicing those multi chord progressions of the song by just playing the whole song or playing the progression over and over, build it up until you can just do it for 3 or 4 mins. After time you have build up that forearm strength. Its a good feeling not being tired after playing a few times from the top.
This is one of the reasons I feel its so important to play the whole songs from front to back once you have the parts down. Keep working hard, you can do it.
I tended to focus more on chord changes in strumming patterns as realistically that is how the guitar is played rather than say 30 chord changes a minute, although that is a useful approach to get yourself used to switching chords.
As Justin says in the lesson for Bad Moon Rising:
Ease into it, lower the tempo if you need, and take your time! Feel free to use a metronome to help slow you down.
As Matt @mattswain mentions above, Bad Moon Rising is a pretty fast song… yes, only 3 chords but the changes are very quick.
I recommend picking some songs that are slower in tempo - this will help you to achieve smoother chord changes. Not sure if you have Justin’s app, but the guitar karaoke feature is really, really helpful to learn to play “in time”. You can find slower tempo songs & slow them even more if you need to. Songs like ‘Call Out My Name’ by The Weeknd or ‘Nobody to Blame’ by Chris Stapleton. Both 2 chord songs that are fairly simple!
Something else to think about… at the earliest stages of learning guitar, I feel that most of us have expectations that aren’t realistic. We set the bar at the level of our guitar heroes… “Someday I WILL play like Clapton or Eddie Van Halen!!!” Most humans do not pick a task & start out doing it really well… do you have kids? Think about how hard it is just to walk or talk for a 1-2 year old! Do kids learn to hit a ball with the pitcher throwing at 100 mph/kph? We “wannabe” guitarists expect to be good after a few months! Yes, there are prodigies out there, but most people struggle to learn new things! Be patient with yourself, slow it down & don’t expect to sound really good without lots of playing time!
Good luck!!!
You don’t need to change chords on each beat to play a song! At least that’s true for most beginner songs. I would stick with songs that only change chords once per bar i.e. every four beats.
This is also why bad moon rising is a bad (heh ) song to learn first. In addition to the high tempo… around 180 BPM IIRC… the first bar in the song has two chords in it… The D to A change.
Also – are you also doing the perfect court changes exercise as well as one minute changes? You need to do both. The two exercises are complementary. One build speed at the expense of accuracy., the other builds accuracy at the expense of speed. When done together, you will get fast, accurate court changes.
Although it can take a while… days to weeks in my experience.
As others have mentioned, I found that the songs and lessons app was invaluable for building this skill.