Exploring open chords up the neck and improvising

Recently I’ve been practicing JustinGuitar’s lesson about moving open chords up the neck. https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/how-to-play-easy-chord-shapes-up-the-neck-bg-1602 I’ve been practicing it by creating guitar loops and improvising on top. In this video, chords are C, D, G, D, and C but played more interestingly as shown in Justin’s lesson.

12 Likes

Very nice work Kamil!

1 Like

Very cool and chilled Kamil! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice. Sounds similar to Allman Brothers.

1 Like

That sounds cool! I can’t improvise, I tried just once on the Gmaj Scale to tell the truth. You did a very good job, it sounds very beautiful to my ear :blush:

1 Like

Some sweet playing there, Kamil. Most enjoyable.

If I may …

@SILVIA I don’t think anybody could improvise the first time they tried, Silvia. Like all things guitar, some time invested in learning and practice and you will improve. Why not check out the 321 Challenge and give that a go.

3 Likes

That was really nice Kamil, it’s not easy sliding up and down the neck but you made it look easy.

1 Like

Thank you all very much. :hugs: I recorded two more improvisation videos using different loops recorded with open chords shifted up the neck. My favorites are C shape and major and minor A shape.

These two vids are rawer and there are some wrong notes here and there because I’m just experimenting to learn what works and having fun. :slight_smile:

Exploring open chords up the neck and improvising #2

Exploring open chords up the neck and improvising #3

1 Like

Missed this first time around Kamil, so glad you have served up a double helping. I like what you are doing here and the impros are sounding pretty sweet. Cool tone as well. Having moved past the IM some time ago it was good to go through the new G1 G2 additions and enjoying the G3 material like this one at the moment. But you have given me some ideas about how to take that further, so thank you for sharing.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s so good Kamil - reminds me of Andy Latimer’s playing from Camel.

1 Like

Phil that’s a name from the past, saw them at the RAH in 75 after Snow Goose came out ! :sunglasses:

Aye Toby. I only saw them once - on the Stationary Traveller tour. I’ve listened to their music a lot over the years though. As soon as I heard Kamil’s third video, Andy L’s playing immediately sprung to mind - a really melodic player, whos solos you can remember and hum!

1 Like

Got some vinyl in the loft somewhere :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Has this vibe for example Ice - YouTube

1 Like

Bummer can’t see that. Did Camel upset the French back in the day ? Will have to switch my VPN across t’other side of the channel ! :ferry:

1 Like

I’m gone man solid gone. That is timeless, good share Phil, I’ll need to go on the hunt !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile: I did the original beginner course a while ago too and had already been doing intermediate lessons. But I’ve been going through the new beginner course too because there are great things to learn there. It’s also nice opportunity to refresh my knowledge. Enjoy practicing exploring open chords lesson more, it’s super fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I will be sure to check out Andy Latimer’s and Camel.