F Chord Changes

When switching from an open C to an F barre chord, I see it not as to whether you put down the barre or your fingers first but rather looking at it from the perspective of where are your fingers when you play the C chord vs. where do your fingers need to be in order to play the F chord. Once you look at it this way, you will see that you simply need to do the following 3 things to change from the C to the F chord, the first two of which can be done simultaneously with step #3 following immediately:

• List item

Lay down your 4th finger on the 3rd fret of the D string.
Move your 2nd finger from the 2nd fret of the D string to the 2nd fret of the G string.
Reposition your 1st finger from the 1st fret of the B string to a barre across the entire 1st fret.

1 Like

Great song for F cord changes: Stratospheric Tendencies (from Film School)

1 Like

Welcome to the community :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Richard,

How do I actually comment on a lesson without replying to a post, I canā€™t seem to find the way in. Sorry if Iā€™m being slow

Angie

1 Like

Hi Angie,
Use the orange button with Reply on it at the very bottom of the topic after the last post and under that small reply button
Hope this helps,
Greetings

1 Like

Iā€™m really struggling with the big F chord. My fingers donā€™t appear to be able to stretch that far and Iā€™m seriously concerned that I wonā€™t achieve this chord at all. If I fail to achieve this chord, is it ok to use the other versions of the F chord ie the 3 finger version? Or should I quite now? Quite worried about this. I am practicing the big F every day but itā€™s looking doubtful. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Brilliant, thank you Roger, much appreciated.

1 Like

If you can play the mini bar F chord the that will work. Neil Young and all the singer/songwriters of the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s used the mini bar F and it never hurt their playing. Youā€™ll find after you have played for a lot longer the full bar F will just start working.

3 Likes

Keep practicing that big F bar chord though cause itā€™s not just an F chord itā€™s a movable shape.

2 Likes

Is the mini Bar F chord this one?

Thanks for your tip. Iā€™ve not done much with this one yet, but I will.

Cheers, Angie

1 Like

Seriously, I canā€™t do the stretch, I will keep trying though. Think it my be an olde dog thing!! Thanks for your comments though.

1 Like

@ArizonaAngie Thatā€™s the one. You can use it anywhere a Bar F chord is played. It will also help stretch out your hand and finger if and when you decide to tackle the full bar F.

2 Likes

Thanks Rick, youā€™re a star, Iā€™ll spend some time in it and see how I go. Much appreciated

1 Like

If you donā€™t like the sound of the ā€˜Mini Fā€™ shared above, hereā€™s another F-Chord cheat you can also try:

F/C Chord

It sounds ā€œfullerā€ to me than the ā€˜Mini Fā€™, plus it helps train your hand for the Barre F a little more.

Hereā€™s Justinā€™s quick lesson on the F/C from his Chord Library: https://www.justinguitar.com/chords/f-over-c

2 Likes

Thank you Eddie, Iā€™ll give this a try too. Iā€™m finding it hard to get the first finger to play two strings. I have managed the barre A chord, so thereā€™s hope for me yet. More practice required. Glad you guys who know what they are doing are around. Thank you again. :blush:

1 Like

Fretting 2 strings with your index finger was the biggest hurdle for me as well. Keep experimenting with different finger angles & postions until you find what works for you. You will use this skill a lot as you progress.

Iā€™ve been learning for almost 3 years now, practice every day, but the F has only been ā€œeasyā€ for me for about 6 months now.

Enjoy the Journey! :grin:

4 Likes

This is really good to know Eddie. As a beginner you have no concept of how long things can take so this gives me hope. Thank you. Hope your guitar journey is going well for you too.

1 Like

For anyone who is having trouble playing the F chord: donā€™t give up. Practice it every day, even for a short time, find a song you love where there are F.
Shortly after starting my guitar journey, I got to this chord and didnā€™t play for 2 months, and even thought about quitting. Donā€™t be like me, donā€™t be intimidated! Once you learn it then youā€™ll think again and laugh about it.
Thank you Justin for such valuable and patient lessons <3.

5 Likes

Hi Davide,
thanks for your encouraging words. Although there is definitely no thought of quitting playing guitar, Iā€™m struggeling with F barre a lot. Iā€™ve been praticing it on a more or less daily basis for 4 months now, and on some days I feel like Iā€™ve just started. On other days itā€™s better. But chord changes to F take terribly long. I actually have a favourite song with many Fs in it. And Iā€™m playing it every day, but stillā€¦ :face_with_diagonal_mouth: .
I know, someday it will be there. And Iā€™m so much looking forward to it.
So many songs, Iā€™ll be able to play then :star_struck: .
Iā€™m really motivated, but sometimes it is frustrating seeing no progress at all :see_no_evil: .

So again, thank you for your encouragment :hugs: .

2 Likes

As Justin says, in the end itā€™s more about developing the muscles of the hand that presses the guitar fretboard, and finding the right physiognomy with our body. And of course, constant repetitions.
It helped me a lot to force (not too much) with my thumb on the neck of the guitar, itā€™s more a teamwork between thumb and forefinger. Also remember to go towards the end of the fret, and not the top or middle, otherwise it will be more difficult.
Have a good time! :slight_smile:

2 Likes