F Chord Changes

@ArizonaAngie @NicoleKKB
and @ all other struggling with the full barre chord.

Two things to be conscious of.

The shape is movable. Try it at other fret positions further away from fret 1 (where it does form F major).

Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers need to adopt a team-work mentality and be able to slot into their respective positions as one group, one solid unit working together and helping one another. There is value in sequential finger placement to train finger independence and I teach it often. Your ultimate aim here is for those three fingers to know their positions and be able to get there without thinking or effort. They will take the exact same group-shape on A-shape minor barre chords too, albeit on the D, G and B strings in that case.

5 Likes

Hello @Richard_close2u , and thanks a lot for your reply :hugs:.
Every other fret except the first one is okay. So it seems to be a question of finger strength. I know that the F barre is more difficult to play on an acoustic (in my case with gauge 12 strings) than on an electric. Next week or so, Iā€™ll get an electric with gauge 9 strings. Iā€™m really curious about the F chord on that guitar then :smiley:.

Thanks Richard, will give it a go when a iI get a mo.

Or just a basic acoustic with high actionā€¦ if you can do it every fret except the first, youā€™ll definitely be able to do barres on an electric. Youā€™d probably be able to barre the the F on the acoustic with either lighter gauge strings (11s make a huge difference) or a luthier setup with the nut slots filed.

1 Like

I know (knew) exactly what you mean. It took me months to get this sounding right and no real idea what i did to get it to work. Probably a combination of arm position, thump position and neck position in the end.

Agreed. I still canā€™t the changes over 30/min. at the moment, but no doubt will nail this in due course.

1 Like

Hi @jkahn, and many thanks for your reply.
I also thought of high action at the beginning, but the shop keeper of my trusted guitar shop said no, itā€™s fine. Lighter strings are an option. If Iā€™m still struggeling with the F barre when I next time need to change strings, Iā€™ll try gauge 11 :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Its been 3 weeks since I started practicing F Barre Chord but I still canā€™t make a perfect F chord sound, should I start F chord changes without getting perfect sound?

Sorry for the late reply.

I deduce from your comment you have 12g strings? I have 10g strings on my acoustic and I have reasonably strong hands. If youā€™re struggling with F barre chord you donā€™t want 12s.

1 Like

Yes, 12 gauge strings. Meanwhile, itā€™s getting better, but still far from perfect. The next change of strings will probably be necessary in July or August. Iā€™ll definitely consider using 11gauge strings, if Iā€™m still struggeling with the F chord then. But Iā€™m still hoping for a miracle :grinning:.

Hey Rick, thanks to you for encouraging me in this direction, mini Bar F is almost ready to mix with other chords. Richard (One off Justinā€™s guitar teachers is helping me with the big F nowā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ watch this spacešŸ‘

1 Like

Iā€™m like all the others on hereā€¦F chord is a beast. However, I have looked back at my journey since I started learning guitar and what do I seeā€¦The first chords I learnedā€¦A and D were a struggle. The next challenge was Dm. I almost wrote an unkind song about that chord! C,G, the stuck 3-4 chords all held their own challenges as well. I admit I stayed back on the stuck 3-4 chords because I didnā€™t want to face the dreaded F chord.
Last week I could barely get my fingers in position. This week I managed to squeak out an F. That was progress in my books. The next day I sort of, kind of got another F chord. Iā€™m focusing on that as progress. 2 weeks ago I wasnā€™t even doing that. I will mention that the first F chord I got was on a friendā€™s guitar. It had just been set up and the action lowered, 11 gauge strings. My personal guitar has 12 gauge strings.
I wish I had access to an electric but I will continue as I am.
As to the F chord cheats, I am able to get the mini F most of the time. Fmaj7, Fmaj7/C are working for me.
Donā€™t give up.

4 Likes

It took me months to get F chord to sound decent and yes it was a struggle. I still have trouble making chord changes to and from the G chord but Iā€™m not giving up. Justin says just do things slowly and keep up the practice. I know I will get this down and so will you. Stay strong!!!ā€

My F chord changes are slowly improving. I find it easy to place 3rd/4th and 2nd finger down first an then the barre. On the other hand, I struggle to do it the other way around or placing all at the same time. The problem seems to be finger independence, i.e. stretching the 3rd and 4th fingers away horizontall from the barre and 2nd whilst also keeping the 3rd/4th fingers together.

Does anyone know any exercises to improve this movement?

Several of us have benefited by practicing leading with different fingers, i.e. practice a minute or so putting your index finger first, then another minute or two putting your middle finger down first, and so on.

Then focus on practicing your slowest finger a little more.

This seems to really help in getting all your fingers down simultaneouslyā€¦or at least much faster.

2 Likes

I found it helpful to form the changes -(donā€™t strum ) until you can move your fingers comfortably. Then, practice this with a metronome .Slowly at first. Once you can do thisā€¦
Then pick out the strings until they ring clearly.
once you can: move ,strings ringing out,then add strumming .
Sent
If you try to move,sound and strum you will get really frustrating-itā€™s too muc h.

I found it very easy to change chords to F when I place the middle finger first and use it like an anchor.