Faith Blood Moon or Taylor 214ce?

Hello JG Gang,
Iā€™m thinking about getting a new acoustic guitar and as there are so many out there i thought iā€™d ask you guys for your thoughts. Iā€™ve been playing my lovely Lag (his name is Lalvin Lag) for 15ish years. Heā€™s got a solid sitka spruce top and laminated sapelli back and sides. Iā€™m now thinking iā€™d like an upgrade. Iā€™ve been looking at the Faith Blood Moon and the Taylor 214 ce. Iā€™m most into fingerstyle but i also love a good old strum and a sing song. Is there anyone out there with these guitars who could give me a bit of an insight ? Or has anyone got any other suggestions i could look at? Budget up to around Ā£1000. I need to play them and see which one grabs me so iā€™m planning a trip to a PMT store but they are a long way away so i thought iā€™d put this out there first as the JG community is full of wise words. Thanks all.

2 Likes

Hi Shell, have a check out of my posts in this thread. Iā€™ve got a Venus cut Blood Moon and cover my experiences buying and owning it so far.

Regardless of that though yes do absolutely go and play them, appreciate itā€™s a journey but itā€™d be worth it for sure.

And a shameless AVOYP plug which is my only public recording with it so far!

1 Like

@Shell you guys are really making me want to try Faith Guitars. :slightly_smiling_face: The Taylor 214 is a very nice sounding Taylor I think it sounds better than a lot of Taylorā€™s more expensive ones.

As for Faith I canā€™t help you but as you will see if you read the thread Notter linked Iā€™m going to track a dealer down and try some out. Heard nothing but Good things about them and am dying to take one out for a test drive.

This is the best thing to do. Even better if you can play them side by side.

Shell,
I just purchased a Louden Sheeran S02. Amazing tones and depth. Also has the connection for electric AMP. Right in your price range too. I did side-by-side comparisons with Taylor and Martin Guitars. The Louden, to my ear and playing style (finger and strum) it outperformed both of them.
Your "I need to playā€¦) method will definitely get you into the right guitar for you and your ear.

1 Like

Thanks ever so much Mark. Ive read the thread and watched your avoyp. Very impressed with the performance and the guitar is beautiful. Does she have a name? All guitars need names. Iā€™m still too shy to post a video! My lovely local guitar shop has a venus blood moon in but no Taylors so i thought if i went to a pmt i could try them side by side like you did then get my local guy to sort me out with the one i decide on. Itā€™s a nice dilemma to have!:grin:

2 Likes

A lovey dilemma to have!
Sheā€™s not named yet, no, although with my experience buying it and for a few other reasons Iā€™m inclined to call her ā€œFateā€. My creativity in naming is pretty shameful :wink::joy:

Thanks Rick. Yep i keep hearing good things about Faith too thatā€™s why i started looking at them. They are also based not too far from where i am and i like supporting local stuff. God to hear about the Taylor. I do like the look of the more expensive ones but iā€™m just not sure i want to pay that much. Iā€™m sure Ā£1000 is enough to get a lovely addition to the collection. Thanks again.:grin:

Thanks Barry. Donā€™t know much about Loudens so will have fun looking them up! I have tried some Martins but they werenā€™t for me. I knew as soon as i played them. Right Louden research for me then. Fun fun fun. :grin:

1 Like

I went for a Venus Hi Gloss which I like but I am really tempted by a Neptune Bloodmoon. Is there a reason you want the Venus? The Neptune sounds like it is good for fingerstyle and people that play both Venus & Neptune seem to prefer the Neptune.

Now that is interesting. Itā€™s about size really. My Lag is quite small bodied and i suppose iā€™ve just got used to it so i was looking for something similar. Itā€™s a good point about the Neptune. Just hadnā€™t thought beyond the venus. Now i think iā€™d like to try them both. Good call. Thanks Leon. :blush:

1 Like

If you feel confident to recognize flaws in a guitar like high action or a twisted neck, consider getting a second hand model. You can certainly save heaps and get something that would be out of your price range in a new model.

I gather youā€™re from rural England, anywhere near enough to Stratford to visit a shop there?
If so visit Richards guitars, he has an outstanding selection of premium guitars in your price range; I have been there and tried a few and to be honest theyā€™re stunning and extremely difficult to decide which! Anyway, hereā€™s a selection to look at if you could get there (probably for a day :joy:)

1 Like

Iā€™ll put a tuppence opinion here as I actually played both a Venus and Neptune when in store. Whilst the size difference isnā€™t massive I found the Venus a much better fit for me, the Neptune was that tad little bit too big. I canā€™t say I noticed a discernible difference in sound or playability (other then the size).

Thanks Tony. Not overly confident with those things but i know a man who is. Defo up for second hand. I have had a look on reverb. Happy to give a used one a new home. :blush:

Thanks ever so much Darrell. Will have a look at that site. Iā€™m in Herefordshire pretty much on the welsh border. Stratford is probably easier to get to than pmt shops and nicer! A whole day in a guitar shop. Oooooo. Doesnā€™t get much better than that. Did you buy one when you were there?:smiley:

1 Like

Tuppence! Love it! Havenā€™t heard that for a while. Thanks Mark. Good to know. :relaxed:

Nope, couldnā€™t make my mind up, will go back again nearer to Christmas :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha, nor me - in our neck of the woods itā€™s ā€˜twopenethā€™ (Black Country dialect) :joy:

1 Like

I was in my local PMT music store today, as you may be aware I was trying to decide between a entry level Martin and the Faith. I did what @Notter did too, tried the Neptune and Venus models and just like him, I donā€™t think there was much difference between them in either tone or playability. Both sounded very good, and both were easy to play. I would say the Neptune edged it on the tone. I prefer bigger guitars to hold too so for me that was the best. You may prefer the smaller Venus since I think you said your current guitar is a smaller size. And as far as I know, the Venus is the most popular one.

And as it happens, I also saw a Taylor 214, the one you mention in your post subject, and I wondered if that would be worth considering for myself. It played nice too, so Iā€™d say itā€™s worth considering in your case too. Both that and the Faiths sounded nice. The Taylor was on the smaller size (not by a lot), so I ruled it out for myself. And itā€™s tone is a bit brighter so maybe good for fingerstyle more than strumming?

Iā€™ve gone for the Faith Neptune Legacy version, as i wanted a wider neck. But the Blood Moon venus and neptune were both fantastic and look awesome. I love the blood moon looks. I wish they had it in Legacy. For my ear, the Neptune sounds the nicest of them all. But not much difference with the Venus.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve seen all of these already, but just in case, thereā€™s a few comparison videos here on youtube - and the video by Richards Guitars is quite interesting too ā€œFaith Venus vs Neptune + Neptune Body Wood Comparisonsā€
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=venus+vs+214

1 Like

There are more things to look out for than just the two I mentioned. Great if you have a friend who can look at it for you.

Hey Shell, I recently got myself a new acoustic - and had a lot of fun deciding on one :grin: There are so many awesome guitars out there! I went with a Louden Sheeran (S03) too. It has a smaller body and is great for both fingerpicking and strumming and seems to be amazing quality for the price range. Iā€™m no expert but Iā€™m really happy with mine (love :heart_eyes:)