Everybody Hurts Cover

Hey everyone, been a very long time since I posted up a recording attempt. My first posting on the acoustic as well after having it for a couple of months now.

I’ve been learning this for quite a while as part of fingerstyle consolidation, the shift for second finger between D and G is much quicker than you give it credit for. I didn’t (but probably should have) used a click track to hold rhythm, this was done on my own timing and I think it holds reasonably steady throughout, at least not noticeably all over the place!!

Learning log update to come later in the week but I at least wanted to get something fresh “out there”

Appreciate your listening time and usual advice :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Hi Mark,

I loved to listen to it :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:and it calmed me down a lot. :smiley:… maybe you might have strummed the bridge a little more “stronger”? but that’s definitely a personal thing. …asnd maybe it would have taken me out of my calm mood… :smile:
Loved it .Greetings,…

1 Like

Well that’s my favourite of yours by a long way, Mark.
Superb! :sunglasses:
Slow and gentle, but controlled, with nice variation between the picking, slow strums, breaks and tapping. Excellent.
A nice REM tune, but not one of my faves. You do it jusitce.
Picky suggestions:
On a couple of occasions it thought it went a tad low for your voice (I think the last note of the verses). You hit the notes ok, but I wonder if slapping on a capo one or two frets higher it would be more comfortable?
I especially enjoyed watching your expressions towards the end when you no longer needed to use the prompt. Are you going to keep learning it so you can perform the whole song like that?
(I usually move on once I’ve made a recording :roll_eyes:)
Oh yes, even after singing a sad/depressing song, give me a smile once you’re done. Then we won’t have to worry about you :laughing:
Nice acoustic. Does it have fret markers on the upper side of the neck? I had to make my own (drill bit and tip-ex) for orientation.

1 Like

Hey Mark, the fact you managed to calm @roger_holland down says it all… that was a lovely performance… sang and played very well… agree with @brianlarsen that was my favourite performance of yours so far too… the new guitar looks and sounds amazing… bravo mate

2 Likes

Hello Mark, your song didn’t only calm Rogier down, but also me and my sick son, who’s lying next to me while listening :hugs:.
Thanks for that. We enjoyed it very much. Playing and vocals are very much in harmony with each other. Great job :smiley:.

3 Likes

Hi Nicole,
Good luck with your son, but not too close to the computer / telephone because i`m afraid my computer will also have catch a virus… :grimacing::teapot: :kiwi_fruit: :grapes:
Greetings,…

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

@roger_holland hopefully nothing too stressful going on for you to need too much calming down from :wink: . Strumming with my thumb I’m still getting used to, with the bridge and final section of the song it’s not as consistent dynamically as it could be, yet…! Thanks so much for the listen and feedback!

@brianlarsen high praise indeed thank you! You’re absolutely right with the key, I left it in the original because a lot of my practice has been to play along with the original recording with everything a little more automatic (for the people) with no capo. But I did try second fret capo last night and long term that will work, it’s the “to hold / hang on” line that goes a bit too low. The prompt was for the lyrics more than anything, my pea-brain was getting confused :wink: . I will definitely keep playing this, I want it to be a campfire plus song so will focus on the dynamics further etc. Yep, fret markers on top of the neck thankfully! No need to worry about me, well not because of not smiling anyway, point taken!!

@Socio Cheers James, I’ll be sending people to sleep soon, maybe a power chord track next :metal:

@NicoleKKB Sorry to hear your son’s poorly, hope he gets on the mend soon but pleased to have a multi-generational audience! Thanks for the listen :heart_hands:

2 Likes

That’s was pretty good Mark! I play this sometimes - because Justin mentioned it specifically in the grade 2 fingerstyle I did it a lot when first learning that. I learned quite a bit from your performance, I really liked the bass walkdown through the chorus, and how you started strumming towards the end of the song.

1 Like

That was lovely Mark. Really nice and calming. Super stuff!

1 Like

Cheers JK, I was actually a bit surprised in Justin’s lesson for this he doesn’t cover the chorus walk down as an option, obviously it’s the bass line but playing it solo I think it’s quite key to the song.
Thanks for the time :+1:

2 Likes

Cheers Eddie!

1 Like

Lovely - really precise finger picking - you captured the mood of the song really well!

1 Like

Great band, great album, and you did a great job performing it, Mark. Clean picking and chords, steady rhythm, and carried the vocal well. I also liked the variations. Much to be pleased about.

1 Like

Hi Mark, I enjoyed your performance very much. Your playing and singing was pretty good. You have a warm sounding voice that matches very good to this slow and gentle song. I’ve started the fingerstyle in Module 11 a few weeks ago, currently trying to get the chord changes smoother and the picking more automated. Good to see, that persistance will bring success. Thanks for sharing this video with us!

1 Like

Hi Mark. Perfect execution! I really enjoyed your performance and you have such a lovely voice.

looking forward to the next video

1 Like

Hello Notter, that was really lovely :blush: I agree timing was steady, and also your fingerpicking technique seems very good. I I also enjoyed the singing, which went perfectly along with the playing. Bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Mark I agree with predecessors this was so far your best performance, wow I really had goose bumps while listening to it. You were completely in a zone and timing was spotless, well done and this is a great OM material to me. All the best

1 Like

Nice work Mark

If you can get an original copy of the song, there are apps that can change the pitch to play along with. I use these all the time.

Specifically Perfect Tempo in my case for iPhone.

You have a fantastic sense of timing, no need for a click track. :robot:

1 Like

@twistor59 @DavidP @Nuraan.S @SILVIA - Folks thank you all for your kind comments and listening time

@Helen0609 the persistence certainly will bring success, good luck with your fingerstyle practice and thank you for taking the time to listen!

@adi_mrok Cheers to you, a live OM is ticking in the back of my mind for a goal in 2023 so let’s see (shame I “wasted” it on an AVOYP rather than a community OM :wink: :rofl: )

@liaty - Thanks Dave, I’ll check that out!

2 Likes

Lovely performance Mark. Great vocal, steady clean fingerpicking and your timing seemed spot on to me. Well done.

1 Like