Faith Legacy vs Martin D10E

@vanian No worries at all and above all have fun while choosing, it shouldnā€™t be an unhappily stressful decision!

I hear you with feeling awkward if youā€™re testing in an open space but how else are you meant to know? The store staff will have seen and heard everything, donā€™t forget that!! One piece of advice I took from a YouTube channel I subscribe to is to have a written list of things youā€™re comfortable playing while youā€™re testing an instrument, do a mix of songs, scales, riffs, licks, chord change exercises etc. It really helps when youā€™re the proverbial rabbit in the headlights in store and your mind goes blank. I think I used 3 or 4 relatively basic songs, some barre chord changes to see how they felt, couple of runs of scales and the obligatory Wish You Were Here intro (No Stairway obviously, not that Iā€™ve learned it anyway!). A decent guitar store will not mind if youā€™re there for ages, they will want you to be happy with you purchase too.

Definitely look forward to hearing your experience, do share how you get on :+1:

Yes @Notter , itā€™s a nice problem to have in a way. And it gives me an excuse to read up on lots of different guitar goodness, and an excuse to watch lots of guitar based YouTubes :slight_smile:
Iā€™m a bit of an introvert at the best of times, so sampling in the shop is always a bit awkward but must be done, and Iā€™m sure many of us feel that way :slight_smile: Iā€™ll go prepared next time, try a couple of thingsā€¦and hopefully the acoustic room will be empty :stuck_out_tongue: At least itā€™s not an electric where everyone in the whole store hearsā€¦

If I do get one I will, Iā€™ll let you know which and how it is :slight_smile: Whatā€™s the betting I come back with something completely different, or not at all? :slight_smile:

I saw some of your songs here, youā€™re doing great and I saw your Faith Bloodmoon in action too. All the best!

Certainly donā€™t rule it out!!

Thanks for checking out some of my songs, appreciated!

@vanian sound like you have most of the bases covered with you collection :slightly_smiling_face:
Had to run into Calgary today so I stopped by my favorite music store to try out the D10e unfortunately they didnā€™t have one in stock. They did have a D12e and to played nice and sounded good. Donā€™t know how it compares the the D10e. They donā€™t carry Faith guitars so still canā€™t help there.
Then I played a D18, D28 and an OO18 the OO18 was the winner out of the 3 but Iā€™m not a dred fan so donā€™t take my word for it.

Then I when over to the Gibson side of the acoustic room and played a J45, Hummingbird, J185, L00 standard. L00 studio and a G00 natural. The J45 and Hummingbird were killer. But they are about the same size as Dreds and my shoulder canā€™t play big guitar anymore so I spent most of the time playing the L00 studio. It keeps saying ā€œtake me home with you.ā€ but sadly i put it back on the wall.

Hope you have as much fun finding your new guitar as I did trying to find you a new guitar. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@stitch oo, some nice ones there. Is the ā€œOOā€ range a bit smaller than a dread? I think they might have a D10e in my office city but itā€™s a bit far and I only go once a week, maybe Iā€™ll see next week. I think Faith are harder to get over there and in the US, but not sure.
I heard the J45 is a great one but im pretty sure itā€™s on the expensive side. :slight_smile: I quite fancied the G45 which is I assume a budget version of it, but alas no electronics on it. I think it has a sound hole at the top, which i thought was interesting too. And I love the hummingbirdā€™s look but again out of my price range, so I havenā€™t tried it :slight_smile: I was excited to try the Epiphone copy of the hummingbird but was disappointed with itā€™s sound a bit. I wonder how the main Gibson one is, sounds like you liked it. They look great. Letā€™s face it, weā€™d get them all if we could.
Going into a guitar shop is like a kid going into a candy store sometimes. Some nice instruments you got your hands on there!!

The G series do have a sound hole on the top I really did notice any difference in volume between the G00 and the L00 studio which is also Walnut back and sides.

The one I played has a $5000 CND price tag on it. Little out of my price range.

I planned to just pop in and see if they had a D10e there and was there for over an hour.

The OO body style is almost as big ad a Dred but the waist is a lot smaller so it sits lower when playing it sitting down. I think thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t hurt my shoulder.
Hereā€™s a size chart that shows most of the body shapes and sizes.

1 Like

@stitch So there was a difference with the top sound hole on the G45? If so, i wonder why itā€™s not more common, it seems a great idea. Though it does look a bit odd :slight_smile:

Woah, that Hummingbird is expensive! Definitely out of my price range. For that price it had better be a whole lot better than the Epiphone version I tried :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s very nice of you to go to check for a D10E, thanks a lot. But Iā€™m glad it wasnā€™t a wasted trip and you had fun with the other guitars. I wonder why the D10E doesnā€™t seem so popular or available as much. I didnā€™t see too many reviews and itā€™s not in my local (big) shop.

The OO is probably a nice shape. I donā€™t know if im right but as far as I can see, that kind of shape would give the depth of a dreadnaught with a punchier tone on the trebles, at least thatā€™s the impression i get. So thatā€™s probably a good shape.

So, tonight i had a bit of good/bad news. Before guitar started to be my main hobby, I was quite a big PC gamer. Now I donā€™t know if youā€™ve heard of Google Stadia, itā€™s like an online game store like Netflix. Apparently it wasnā€™t very popular, and mocked, but I really liked it - i was their niche customer - and had invested in quite a lot of games over past few years, and the games were usually leaning on the expensive side to purchase since they were hosted on Google. However, I just found out theyā€™re totally shutting down the service in Januaryā€¦ At first i was rather annoyed to say the least, as I say Iā€™d bought rather a lot of games on there. Not to mention the time spent and loss of progress etc.
But the big upside is, reading through their announcement they are going to refund everything anyone ever purchased on it. So I will get all my money back in full. Which is going to be a rather nice windfall and effectively will cover the full cost of the guitar. So I think that means i will definitely be buying one, and come January will get it paid back :slight_smile: Thatā€™s a nice stroke of luck for a change, and I prefer playing guitar than games these days so it suits me :slight_smile:

ā€¦but that Hummingbird you saw would still definitely be way out of my budget :wink:

2 Likes

Oh nice, thats lucky! Shame Stadia is getting dumped but thats google for youā€¦

Indeed. I think I must have been the only person who was sure they wouldnā€™t dump it. I thought if they close it they would at least keep it open for the existing content, I would have thought they could have just kept the servers running. They did say before that if it shut they would refund but I didnā€™t really believe it. But looks certain they will. I probably wouldnā€™t have played those games, so in a way itā€™s a good thing and I can get a fancier guitar instead, nothing lost. :slight_smile:
Just darn, lost all that progress in Assassinā€™s Creed :wink:
And ā€¦lesson learned, donā€™t invest in Google again. And control my game purchasingā€¦in future, but that came at just the right time for me at least didnā€™t it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This really made me chuckle Rick. :grinning:

2 Likes

Right! :joy:
I now kinda feel compelled to do some sort of time-share of it with you all - the postage would be killer though :slight_smile:
It wonā€™t be my guitar, itā€™ll be ours, okay? Maybe Iā€™ll let you name it or something.

3 Likes

I hadnā€™t heard about stadia being pulled, Iā€™m not wholly surprised if Iā€™m honest.

Well thereā€™s a silver lining if ever I saw one! Go get testing! :rofl:

You could call it ā€œRickā€™s Pickā€

Itā€™s got to be a sign right? Fate is saying ā€œyou must buy oneā€. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Superb!
Though surely he deserves more than just the pick?.. If Iā€™d been asking about guitar picks, then maybe.

:rofl: Any excuse to go play new guitars for and hour is fine by me.

Itā€™s always a good thing when unexpected money knocks on your door.

I think on my next trip into the city Iā€™ll try an find a Faith guitar Dealer. Iā€™ve read a lot of good things about them but have never had the opportunity to play one. My mother always said you have to have Faith now I understand what she meant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I could tell my wife Iā€™m just doing what my mother told me.

Hereā€™s a pic of the L00 Studio. It has Walnut back and sides so had a really nice sound.

I never name guitars. They donā€™t come when you call them so I see no point.

They didnā€™t have a G45 in stock the one I played was a G00 a lot smaller body guitar. If you look at the picture I posted the J45 is on the Top right and the J185 is on the top left. the G00 is bottom right and the L00 Rosewood bottom left

Thatā€™s a handsome instrument too, and Iā€™m rather partial to sunbursts, my Yamaha has it.
Even if i couldnā€™t play a guitar Iā€™d still want one, I like looking at them :slight_smile:

Youā€™ll have to let us know if you find a dealer and try them, I wonder what youā€™d think of them.

Is Rosewood nice for back and sides also?

See, your mother knew what she was talking about. Even her advice was to push us to the check out the Faith rangeā€¦

This is what separates Martin people from Gibson people. Most Martinā€™s are Rosewood Back and sides. Most Gibsonā€™s are Mahogany back and sides. Rosewood has lots of over tones and is louder. Mahogany is softer, more focused and when you dig in has that Gibson growl.

Singers with strong sing voices like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Neil Young like Martinā€™s. Singers like James Taylor, Jackson Brown and Emmylou Harris like Gibson because they complement their voice not over power them. For my style of playing I prefer Gibson all thou I do have a buddy who has a Mahogany Top, back and sides Martin that I really like and play it every time we jam together.

Another thing for personal taste I guess :slight_smile:
I think I donā€™t mind so much, if itā€™s acoustic Iā€™ll probably like it :slight_smile:

When it comes to learning or playing, I try things i wouldnā€™t normally listen to, just because itā€™s fun to try it, most of it sounds good to me.
Strangely they didnā€™t seem to have much in the Gibson range at my store, more Taylors it seemed from the big brands.
Whatā€™s your tastes to play or hear?