Faith Legacy vs Martin D10E

Ok, day after new guitar dayā€¦

It has a lovely warm tone and am happy with it. Iā€™d say if anything it sounds nicer strumming than on fingerpicking, but still good with eitherā€¦
Itā€™s not as easy to play as I expected, the wider neck and string spacing doesnā€™t seem to make much difference - Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because the strings are 12s rather than my usual 11s, I guess the differnce wouldnā€™t make a difference really. And my barre chords are a bit harder to do on it, needing a bit more pressure, maybe again because of the 12s and maybe the action is slightly higher than my usual. But Iā€™ve been playing it an hour or two and Iā€™m adapting to it so I think itā€™s ok and will try to stay with 12s for the tone - just a case of getting used to it.
But the quality is good, everything looks good and smooth. And itā€™s nice to have a hard case finally, my first one. I thought I wouldnā€™t like the lack of fret markers on the fingerboard, I guess i never really look at them anyway as I havenā€™t noticed the lack of them, with the side markers being the one we look at mainly.
Well I hope the tread has helped anyone else considering these guitars :slight_smile:

And for the Martins, I read they generally ship with high actions - and it makes sense, some people like it high and itā€™s easier to lower it than higher it later :slight_smile: So Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be great too. Though Iā€™m happy with the extra perks on the Faith.

3 Likes

Nice looking guitar. Looks like a keeper.
After youā€™ve has it for a month or so and itā€™s acclimated to your home environment you might want to take it in for a set up.

Trying 11s it wonā€™t hurt the guitar or you can get lower tension 12s. I put 12 on all my 24 3/4 scale guitars and 11s one my 25 1/2 scale. What is the scale length on your Faith?

1 Like

Thank you @stitch hope so yes.
Iā€™m getting more used to it, it has a different feel to my usual so I think i need a little more time with it to settle in. Good idea, to give it a month to see if I adapt to it or if I think I need a setup/string change.
Sounds sensible to me :slight_smile: Im on 11s on my usual so I would probably feel more comfortable with 11s but Iā€™ll see if i can get used to 12s for the tone. Iā€™ve got a supply of 11s for my other, but no 12s yet :slight_smile:
I think itā€™s a 25.5" scale, is that more suited to 11s? Iā€™m not so up on scale lengths. Overall itā€™s pretty good, just need to get used to it Iā€™m making more mistakes on this one, mainly my barre chords were fine on my Yahama but need a bit more effort on this one. And strangely feels less finger space rather than more (i.e. touching the strings a little more), maybe iā€™m angling the fingers less slightly and if the strings are higher they might be easier to touch my fretting fingers.
Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

@vanian realy pleased for you chap, not that you bought a Faith, but that you properly test played a shortlist and that you landed on what you liked the most, itā€™s gotta be the way!

She looks fantastic and I hope you continue to take massive pleasure from playing it every day.

Hopefully weā€™ll all get to experience that from you in an AVOYP at some point?

Congrats and above all happy NGD!!

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say more suited itā€™s just my preference Iā€™ve played Gibson guitars all my life and they are mostly 24 3/4 and I like 12 on them so the few 25 1/2 scale guitars I have I use 11ā€™s to keep the feel simpler.

Thanks @Notter, worth doing it properly for something for the long term. And Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be spending more of my time on this one, I got the guitar bug and putting more and more time into it. Never thought Iā€™d even be able to play one, but just shows anyone can do it if they want to. Not that Iā€™m at AVOYP levels yet :slight_smile: And even if i were, i suffer from the Press Record - Lose Ability syndrome :slight_smile: Like when you want to show a friend what you can do, and every note suddently becomes a bum note :slight_smile:

@stitch I might whack 11s on when string change time comes, I can always put 12s back on if so. Just worried if it would need fiddling with if changing the guage, not so confident with the truss rod and such :slight_smile: Or if it loses volume maybe with lighter strings.

At least the buying journey had a conclusion :slight_smile: And had great advice here along the way, thanks.

1 Like

@vanian
Iā€™ve been playing guitar since 1975 and never worried about guitar as much as the inernet generation does. If you get string buzz then adjust the truss rod if not donā€™t worry about it. If thereā€™s a problem fix it if not let it lie.

1 Like

Ah good old RBS, we all have it but as with everything the more we do the better it gets. Never completely disappears but keep at ir.

Regardless itā€™s great youā€™ve got the guitar bug and now an instrument that that begs you to pick up and play when you see it. Iā€™m sure your playing will kick on nicely! Keep us posted on how you get on and have slot of fun!

Happy NGD, Vanian, wish you much joy with the new guitar.

FWIW Iā€™ve watched a few videos about string gauge on an acoustic and spoke with people in-store when getting new strings, and my understanding is that the tonal difference and even playability between 11s and 12s is not going to be that significant.

You may find that there are a combination of factors on the new guitar that are influencing, such as action, scale length, nut width, neck shape, neck radius. I am a relatively experienced beginner, so may be incorrect and perhaps some of those factors may be more or less significant.

As @stitch suggested, a setup in a few months is probably a worthwhile investment. I was satisfied with how my acoustic played off-the-shelf and even more so when I did get around to a setup done by a luthier.

You have been playing guitar slightly longer than I have been breathing air! So I will most certainly take your advice on board. The string spacing and the guage are still throwing me a bit this morning but Iā€™ll stick with it and Iā€™m sure will get used to it, if not, Iā€™ll swapsie those strings to see. The action seems not bad looking again, if itā€™s high itā€™s only slightly.

But now Iā€™m doing that thing where Iā€™m keeping it in the case to keep it nice n safe, but we all know sooner rather than later itā€™ll be on a guitar stand where I can grab it any time. Bumps and knocks are inevitible, and character - but for a little while Iā€™m on the honeymoon period so looking after her.

Thanks mate. Iā€™ve avoided messing with the truss rod, but if iā€™m gonna be a proper guitarist I guess i should try know how to do those things :slight_smile: Well in theory I have a good idea but in praticeā€¦eek. I guess after a while Iā€™ll be used to playing it, just like when we first start itā€™s clumsy but we do it ok :slight_smile:
And after a month see if a setup is necessary. I took my Yamaha APX for a set up, they agreed it needed one, but when it came back I canā€™t say i noticed too much difference, probably because i was inexperienced then :slight_smile: And they lost my gig bag tooā€¦grrr :slight_smile: