Favorite Guitar Related YouTube Channels?

Michael Palmisano, Darrell Braun, Rick Beato, BrejaToneWorks and StewMac

1 Like

:rofl:
You make me laugh out loudā€¦ Yes really if something irritates me (like this) but I want to be very clear (and not hurt people who donā€™t see it the same way) I can easily say 4x (?)as much about it with many more examples why this is actually not right :roll_eyes:ā€¦, so count yourself lucky :rofl:

What? If this is actually a rule, then I would like to say something bad about it: itā€™s absurd. Are we in kindergarten? (My mom told me if you canā€™t say anything nice about somebody, donā€™t say anything at all. But that was a long time ago and I think Iā€™ve outgrown that lesson.)

Can I say something negative about a piece of gear? Are we allowed to say that a concert we saw sucked?

If you think a youtube guitar teacher is a poor teacher, you should absolutely say so. If that is against the rules, then you should argue that the rule be changed.

1 Like

Hi @jjw Ho, have a calming glass of water :blush:
It is one of Justinā€™s rules that we donā€™t diss, speak bad of other teachers hereā€¦that kind of stuff /thing ā€¦not piece of gear stuffā€¦dutchman trying english is always tricky :blush:.
Greetings

1 Like

Iā€™m just borrowing a comparison from Toby ( sorry if itā€™s not appropriate @TheMadman_tobyjenner
then I remove it)ā€¦weā€™re in the best restaurant in the worldā€¦and the boss of the restaurant is in the table behind us,all the food is good and goes very well together,but I still remember that I had something tastier potatoes as a side dish somewhere elseā€¦and Iā€™m going to say that out loudā€¦

thatā€™s what I meant by ā€œthe inappropriate feelingā€ I wrote earlierā€¦

Indeed, I had a cup of tea and am calmer :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a look at the rules for the community here: Community Etiquette and Rules

I donā€™t see the rule you mention, unless you mean this:

• No personal attacks

I think a reasoned critique of a youtube teacher, even if very negative, should not be construed as a personal attack. But, maybe there are additional rules posted elsewhere.

Ok, this list will probably be only useful for Metalheads, but (even if theyā€™re above (sometimes way above) my level) I like watching song specific lessons for the Metal bands I love, so Iā€™m going to recommend a few teachers which arenā€™t too well known (as everybody should know Carl Brownā€™s GuitarLessons365 already):

Tim Holman: His song lessons are among the best Iā€™ve seen in Youtube. He has song lessons for several bands, and heā€™s on a mission to teach all Metallica songs starting from their first album, too bad heā€™s hasnā€™t been releasing too many lessons lately, and only covered the first 2 albums so far (and one song from MoP).
RomanOva: A bit too theory heavy for my taste, but also excellent. Heā€™s in the same mission as Tim for Metallica, and already ahead of him, even while mixing it with a similar mission for Dream Theater (starting from their second album).
metaldude: Has already covered most of Metallicaā€™s discography (even including St. Anger) alongside with much of Slayer, and stuff several other bands such as Megadeth, Judas Priest, Exodus and a few othersā€¦
Lucas Francesco lessons: Apart from doing most of Iron Maidenā€™s Senjutsu when it was released, he creates lessons for lots of bands, and seems to be doing it in a kinda alphabetic order, so lots of the songs he teaches start by A, or a digit, or a symbol such as ā€¦ or (

I have a few more (including some non-english ones), but these should be a good starting point.

Actually, a reasonable and intelligent restaurant owner would probably want to hear the honest opinion of his patrons. I bet Justin would, too.

I donā€™t check alot, I only check these 3 now and then

SammyG aka SamuraiGuitarist
Paul Davids
Ola Englund

1 Like

:smile:
I Heard that an read that from Justin ā€¦apparently not in the rules there ā€¦but I hope the mods will confirm because Iā€™m not going to look it all upā€¦
Greetings

Weā€™re a Community, not a cult :smiley:

There is room to discuss about -other- teachers and platforms.
As long at it remains civil of course :smiley:

Itā€™s all in the context of sharing knowledge and broadening our view.
Though, we donā€™t support deliberate promotion in order to drive traffic elsewhere.

I agree that Justin is one of a kind in his combo of being clear, board, beginner focused, professional and low on the clickbait factor (perhaps the Mike Dawes video, that had a high clickbait factor :D). We all look for certain things and for some J is the absolute #1, for others he is one of the many. I take pride in being part in what makes JustinGuitar one of a kind. :smiley:

5 Likes

no youā€™re missing my pointā€¦ this isnā€™t going to make Justin a better cookā€¦
and more ā€¦but I see lieven thinks differentā€¦but Justin himself prefers not to criticize other you-tube teachers hereā€¦
Greetingsā€¦

Edit: @Socio hi ā€¦I donā€™t feel like making any more posts so Iā€™ll just comment hereā€¦this isnā€™t the video Iā€™m referring toā€¦it was somewhere else and much clearerā€¦but it doesnā€™t matterā€¦ .I should have stopped after my first postā€¦that was clearly written enoughā€¦
Greetingsā€¦

Those sound like some fine potatoes, where did you have them? The sensie did say on another post that links can be posted as it is good for him to see what his students like and what they want/need which is understandable.

I think he said on that same post that he doesnā€™t like speaking badly of other teachers unless itā€™s dangerous which is understandable as he wouldnā€™t want any of his students picking up bad habits.

Yeah, none of us wants this to become a flaminā€™ and bashinā€™ of others but there is nog hard lines censorship here. Thatā€™s why I say weā€™re not a cult.

Some conversations better take their course for a short while to release tension instead of slamming the hammer on it.

Besides, @DavidP @Richard_close2u are always close to steer the conversation :wink:

4 Likes

I watch a couple of other youtubers that provide content that Justin doesnā€™t:

SammyG (general guitar culture) and David Hamburger (acoustic blues instruction)

Hereā€™s a plug for Justin: his song tutorials are the best on youtube, by far, in my opinion. Heā€™s better than Marty because 1) he sings a demo version (which is a huge benefit, imo) and 2) he goes into more detail. He also counts out the timing of difficult parts, something that Marty and many other youtube teachers do not do. This is crucial for learning lead parts, at least for me.

His catalog is huge and if you go to the site, the song search options are great.

Of course, the guitar instruction stuff is great, too, but he really is alone in offering comprehensive instruction free on youtube (I think), so no competition to compare to, really. Heā€™s obviously the best in that area.

1 Like

Hi Roland! Glad to see your question sparks some interesting debates xD

I have been thinking about it lately too. To learn a thing well I got to learn from the best. So that might be the reason why I only pay attention to Andy Mckee and Mike Dawes vids, listen to their thoughts and play style on guitar. Well I tried to look around the materials for Kotaro Oshio, not many and they are Japanese T.T

Might try to explore others in the future, but I think I ought to master whatever that is available to me right now =)

I dip in and out of various channels including those already mentioned: Paul Davidā€™s, That Pedal Show, Andertons, Music is Win, and some of the reaction videos from the likes of The Charismatic Voice, Julia Nikon and, of course, Rick Beato (as well as his other videos).

Also Produce Like A Proā€™s bands/songs/albums that changed music videos are great, along with some of the other videos.

I also enjoy The Studio Rats (who do a weekly live stream) and who have some interesting gear reviews and tips and tricks.

And my latest guilty pleasure watch is Justin Hawkins Rides Again.

Cheers,

Keith

This is so trueā€¦ I hate youtubes suggestions!! I know what I typed in the search box and that is what Iā€™m looking for, if they canā€™t show me that I would rather it not show anything. But at the end of the day iā€™ts all about money and itā€™s what we have to put up with.

Dave

I think many of the channels I watch have already been covered but Iā€™ll mention some of my favourites anywayā€¦

Frog Leap Studios - Leo does some cool covers of well known songs, usually in a metal style
Mary Spender - Sheā€™s a singer / songwriter / guitarist who covers a variety of music related topics. Her music isnā€™t necessarily my thing but itā€™s good to see different styles
Andertons TV - well we can dream a bit about all of the gear we canā€™t afford!
Normanā€™s Rare Guitars - itā€™s funny that I watch these as I have no ambitions to own an old guitar, I just find it interesting

smaat. I get less commercials by a direct link follow to U-toob and Iā€™ll suffer some that way. But I go via Duck Duck Go browser (non-profit, no-tracker) to sus things out. If I like, then I will log in to Ewe-TooB and go from there.

Tell them NOTHING !

2 Likes