Feeling of accomplishment?

Love that song talk to angels! Would love to learn that song

1 Like

I also recently played in front of my family a few songs for the first time while they were singing a long and it was a great feeling. I didnā€™t get as nervous as I thought.

Iā€™ve also been practicing ā€œtime of your lifeā€ and ā€œhouse of the rising Sunā€ A LOT lately and I can play them now standing and without looking at my hands. Thatā€™s something that I really wanted to achieve and I put a lot of effort to get where I am now. Still not perfect but better than I couldā€™ve imagined.

6 Likes

Go for it Jeff, itā€™s well worth the effort! :+1:

1 Like

I agree with what others already said this is a very enjoyable and inspiring threadā€¦Iā€™m loving reading each story!

We end up achieving what we put a lot of effort in, we try and we canā€™t, but we keep on trying and little by little we are able to! Isnā€™t this just amazing?!

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of value in life from taking a moment to give yourself a pat on the back for whatever youā€™ve achieved rather than beating yourself down for what you canā€™t (yet) do. Youā€™ve got to enjoy the victories along the way or life can be miserable

5 Likes

Agree! We have a saying that the result is usually sweeter when you had to sweat to reach it!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Well done

2 Likes

These are great stories. What a great thread.

I had a really cool one recently. The Dropkick Murphys have a high tempo song from an early album that is acoustic song called ā€œFar Away Coastā€ It was the first song I was really forced to learn by ear. There are very few live videos unfortunately.

I figured it out. Learned the song from start to finish like how Justin would teach us.

Long story short, My feel good moment was when I got the song down, start to finish correctly, with the flow and feeling right. That moment when my last note rang out and as song playing in the background, its last note played at the exact same time as mine.

Oh Yeah thats what Im talking about.

I felt like I had really acomplished something since I started.

5 Likes

For me it was when I finally managed to get the C and F chords. They took months of practice to get right!!

6 Likes

I wish I had a great example to give, but I donā€™t. And thatā€™s OK. Iā€™m only in my 7th month, so there havenā€™t been many opportunities yet for big achievements.

What I can say is that I have succeeded at making guitar-playing part of my life. I make sure to leave the time and energy for it every day. And even on days when I might not feel like doing it or it ā€œjust doesnā€™t go well,ā€ I still do it and enjoy every minute. At this stage, Iā€™m pretty happy with that.

7 Likes

And you should be happy with that progress for every day you practice is that moment of accomplishment.

3 Likes

Well this is not something to be given for granted, it wasnā€™t for me. Enjoy your time with your guitar, thereā€™s nothing more valuable than that!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great, Jeff! Thanks for sharing this moment with us and opening this thread. Isnā€™t that, what we all dream of? Making others (and ourselves!) happy with our music?
I had a few happy moments myself, once, when I managed singing and playing at the same time, then the same with fingerpicking and singing, at least with my main pattern so far.
What made me really happy most recently, was when my son ripped the door to my music room open and asked me: you can really play THAT song? And it sounds sooo good? Why didnā€™t you tell me earlier, that you can play one of my favourites? It turned out, he only knew a new cover version, never heard the original and we had a little talk about the original artist and original version.
For me, itā€™s often not only about mastering a certain skill, itā€™s more about those precious moments when we realise, that all those invested hours pay off in sending out positive vibes :green_heart:!

6 Likes

Playing and learning solos I would not have thought possible, only a few years back. :sunglasses:

@Richard_close2u @LievenDV @DavidP mods - would this be better off in Just Chatting, as its not exactly a learning log.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll echo that!

4 Likes

Looks like it has been re-tagged Toby

1 Like

Yep I see LDV did the business, thx for checking. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great thread Jeff @Jwaters !!!

So many cool & inspiring stories!!! The only one that I can think of that felt like a breakthrough was revisiting Justinā€™s Grade 2 Blues lesson, playing my own backing track into my new looper pedal and soloing over in with the a minor pentatonic scale!!! I was so thrilled that the improv actually sounded like music!!! (Well, to me at leastšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«)

As an ā€œEndless Beginnerā€ I just was to say Thank you to Justin!!!

Tod

6 Likes

Hey Jeff,

I am just about reaching 8 months in. Not necessarily a HUGE accomplishment I would say or even a big one, but I have a few moments, especially over the weekend, where things just clicked. After months of basically contemplating quitting, and struggling through with difficult concepts, like the F Barre Chord, blues progressions, happy birthday theme, power chords, etc. things just started getting a bit easier to do with time. I looked back this past weekend and though back to when I moved on from grade 1 and what I knew, vs what I do now at the end of grade 2. I thought to myself, man the F chord is sounding decent now and I can change to it that is huge.

Another big one is being invited to play in a band with a guy I know. He was fingerpicking and soling while the band of the drummer and the bassist were going to town and all were plugged into an amp, me I was unplugged so I could play with them, but not worry about having to sound terrible and bring them down. Playing with a piano player I know and her learning from me, like I was from her and now everyone pressuring me to play any time I step out of the house that know about it.

I think even the smaller victories and accomplishments mean as much as the big ones if you stop to count them up. Here is to years of more playing and accomplishments to go!

4 Likes

This is great to hear so many good stories about the success of all of us in the similar journey that we all share. Just maybe one person will read something when they are down and feeling like they canā€™t get anywhere in this journey and realize what we have gone through and now, give them a glimpse of hope

4 Likes