Fender micro plug in amp

I am waitingā€¦to assess it fully.
Using it as an interface isnā€™t the main reason it could be useful to me. Thatā€™s because itā€™s a contender to be a useful, quieter practice amp with amp modelling and effects. After that why not play with it and see if those attributes can be played and/or recorded on the computer?

There is a benefit to connecting the micro via a 2i2. I have a little 3 way switch on the input of one of the 2i2 input channels so I can switch that input between the micro or my pod go, if I select the micro I can record, listen to it via the 2i2 headphone jack or via my monitors and BT stream backing tracks etc from any device or from youtube via PC.

1 Like

Hi, Lovely practice amp, I use it most days. Yes you can plug it straight into the computer via USB and record from it.
Have fun. :wink:

1 Like

Not what I was thinking of but the ideas from @TonyHS & @Gregba are interesting.

Do check out the Nux MP3 as well.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Iā€™ve watched Captain Anderton (and his first mate) review the Mustang Micro and NUX MP3 separately and at first listen the NUX sounds more appealing. Iā€™ll talk to the shop.

Iā€™d look at some other reviews and comparisons too.

I like Andertons but I wouldnt call them impartial.

1 Like

I own both the NuX MP3 Pro and the Thomann DNAfx GiT Mobile, which is the closest analog to the Fender Micro in terms of feature set and usage outside of having the actual Fender amp, and in my opinion, the advantages offered over the Mustang Micro by a product like the NuX amp are insurmountable by any detectable tonal differences.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone with the NUX. It was relatively cheap and I was impatient for something. Iā€™ve been very slow getting to grips with playing electric guitar and finding it very much harder then I anticipated.
My early thoughts are that the NUX is a useful tool for me, allowing near silent practice. Knowing nothing of amps and their attributes Iā€™m overwhelmed with the options available in the mobile app and apparently on the device. I expect it to be enough for me indefinitely.

The Mighty Plug is great. Which one did you get? (MP-2 or MP-3?)

My advice is, as it is with many of these units, to replace the factory presets as they are pretty unusable.

Thereā€™s a couple of approaches to doing this:

1. Use the Mighty Amp (or Mightier Amp) app to turn off or tone down things like delays and modulations on the factory presets, and then save them.

2. Use the App to create new presets from scratch: turn everything off except the amp and then play with amp models and settings until you find ones you like.

3. Find presets you like online (Mighty Patches is a good resource) and replace the factory patches with them.

Personally, I typically end up with 3 or 4 patches I use regularly. These tend to be a couple of variations of clean guitar (different amp types) plus a crunch which is usually one of the clean patches but with either the amp gain turned up, or a gain pedal (boost or overdrive) in the front. And, finally, a higher gain tone for lead stuff which is often similar to the crunch, but with higher gain.

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

MP-3.
Thanks for the suggestions!

If itā€™s any use, here are some of my patches. Iā€™m mostly using these on my G&L S-Type, with single-coils, but I have the tone rolled off a bit.

Iā€™ve also used these on my Revstar with P90s.

You may need to tweak the EQ on them depending on the guitar you have.

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

Thatā€™s brilliant, Keith. Itā€™s going to take a while to get up to speed with how to use these. Iā€™m using an Epi 335 & Yamaha PAC1511MS.