Finally bit the bullet - Line 6 Pod Go en route to Normanie!

Hi Toby,
living towards something nice should also be a party in itself … now you can celebrate a little longer what will come later to play with …something with ‘on the the road you (see) learn the most’… :roll_eyes:

.Please don’t hate me now :laughing:

Good luck with waiting :saluting_face:
greetings

2 Likes

Boooooo…a whole weekend to wait! Plenty of time to get all your research done in advance though I suppose so you can shred from the word go as soon as Mr UPS has gone!!

1 Like

Thought you were suggesting some Canned Heat ! Got enough of that at the moment. :rofl:

1 Like

Mark

I have a shed load of reviews and tutorials to look at between, practice and playing sessions. Trouble is they are making me want it even more. But it will be worth the wait.

But the heat is making me melt when concentrating on anything, making it twice as hard (another song title there !). So maybe just some free form noodling will suffice.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

A song reference right up my street Toby! Love the Crowes :wink:. In fact going to see them in the Autumn at Brixton :+1:

Cool, have a few on my advanced to play list :smile:

1 Like

Thought this might be of interest to some folks.

I’d lined up a number of tutorials to watch in the few days I would be waiting for UPS to arrive and now find I have a few more. So after @Kasper kindly wrote his Line6 PodGo - Pros and cons I decided to do a little more digging and came across our friend Henning at EytschPi42. Some of you from the old forum may remember him, from the mixing competition some of us entered a couple of years back, as Henning was one of the judges. Yes he was the mad German !!

Not wishing to clutter up Kasper’s thread, I decided to drop the 5 videos in here. Titles are self explanatory but the main reason for the post was :

a) what do the available factory pre-sets sound like, before you start tweaking. There are supposed to be 128 but Henning seems to have only presented 26 banks of 4 ie 104 or maybe I missed something. Especially as I thought there were more Bass pre-sets ? I am sure @Rossco01 or @Kasper will verify.

b) following from Kasper’s thread, how does the sound quality compare across the POD and the 2 Helix packages.

So being way too hot to play or practice yesterday evening, I cracked a few beers and spent a couple of hours being suitably impressed. :wink:

Is this a Mini Helix or what? Line6 Pod Go Review Part 1/5

Line6 PodGo - All the Presets - Part 2/5

What’s better? PodGo or HX Stomp? Part 3/5

Can the Line6 PodGo compete with the Helix? Big Shootout! Part 4/5

PodGo VS the real REVV amps - Part 5/5

Found the last 2 very interesting and can see why Kasper only uses the POD Go for backup, as the Helix is an amazing piece of kit, that must be a great tool for gigging. Not something this old boy is likely to do but…if it ever happened I still think the POD would be more than enough for me. :smile: The last video just emphasises just how good the Line 6 modelling is.

I would suggest caution watching the “all” pre-set video. I’ve started making a note of some of the kit/blocks that I will likely to use, to build some initial pre-set of my own. So I will be watching that one again - more notes and to see if I missed the 26 absent pre-sets.

And finally after @brianlarsen made this comment on Kasper’s post, I just had to tag him here.

Because we can ! :rofl: Video 2 is for you Brian, go put the kettle on :tea:

Roll on Tuesday !!

1 Like

Do you believe in Santa and the Christmas creep ?
Juts made a brew and look who turned up on the drive !!

Happy weekend peeps.

5 Likes

And clearly a happy weekend ahead for you Toby, what a nice surprise for a Friday.
Enjoy!!!

There are 128 factory preset slots but only 120 presets. They may have left some gaps for “future” ones. BTW it’s not overly intuitive how you switch between factory and user presets. In preset select mode just press the upper knob and then you can select.

As I said factory presets are not too bad but as always depend on the guitar you’re using.

Btw you’ll probably get pulled into the snapshot or preset wormhole at some point… personally I never use snapshots not sure there is a good reason for them BUT lots really do

Helix has lots of nice options particularly for pro player but the cost is very high and the actual footprint of the device is significantly larger.

The biggest “deficiency” that some raise is the number of blocks you can assign fx too… but honestly for most instances not a problem.

Well now the box is here I’ll guess I’ll find out for myself. Factory/user, yes I see you have to toggle between folders from one of the tuts I saw. I think it may be a sink hole rather than wormhole 120 pre-sets, 6 different electric styles and then there’s the basses ! Just as well I did not get round to changing the pups on one of the Washburn’s.
Going to be a Bob Marley weekend. :jamaica: :rofl: :sunglasses:
I may be gone some time. :rofl:

Haha, I’m not biting, monsieur!
The last time I presented perfectly formed anti-GAS arguments why we don’t need more guitars, I ended up with a new one the following week :roll_eyes:
I use 3 to 4 of the 5 preset slots on my THR. Another 120+ would be overkill…
But thank you for the reminder on the mad German. I didn’t realise he judged a competition. I watched a couple of his reviews in the past and found him very entertaining :grinning:

Toby just a friendly thought that you may want to cover your address and mobile number in case some unwanted trolls get a hold of this pic :wink:

1 Like

Happy days, Toby. I shall be watching out for a Madman’s Diary first impression recordings on Monday morning.

Ta Adi fixed !! Hopefully it will be just the groupie who have seen it, Yeah in my dreams. :rofl:

David

You’ll be running out of wishes my friend. Having a little rhythm fest but decided to dig out my old Classic Beginners Course practice schedule, which has most of the BSB 1 songs listed, well the ones I liked playing. So going to settle on a hand full of them and see what’s what. Maybe some random impro tomorrow to check the lead tones out.

Gone through about 24 so far, most are good to great but there are few that are a bit iffy that will fettling. So yep, happy a a pig in :poop:

Cheshire Cat

1 Like

Weekend Interim report.

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE !! They need a friggin health warning !!

Spent about 2 1/2 hours yesterday afternoon exploring the pre-set banks and close to 3 hours in the evening. Played a load of songs I’ve not touched in years, some Blues noodling and a bit of NYLSB. This morning I have a sore forearm tendon left elbow and my face is sore from grinning like an idiot for hours on end. You have been warned !!!
Should add that was 5 1/2 hours with Cherry the LP, which might explain the arm being sore !!

OK Serious stuff - focused mainly of rhythm tones, going through the pre-sets and turning FX on and off, hence going back over a load of old songs, that haven’t featured in my singing and playing journey and just rocked the house down. Skipped the Bass pre-sets for now.

So as Jason pointed out there 120 factory pre-sets from the get go. When I got my Mustang III I did a similar exercise and went through all of the 100 pre-sets to find 99% were pants and would need tweaking or replacing. They were all replaced, nuff said.

What a contrast with the POD GO !! I would say there might have been 6 or 7 that did not float my boat but most of them were OTT in the chorus and delay departments but most just need a change of FX pedal to calm them down. So a really good starting point IMHO !

Today, my additional cables arrived, so I’ll be looking at how it sits with both my audio interfaces and subsequently OBS and Reaper. And I’ll also play around with creating a couple of Madman Pre-sets.

Hopefully, the 'brufen will have kicked in by this evening and it will be time for more experiments.

Man this a serious piece of kit and really does not break the bank - just the body. :rofl:

5 Likes

Not on Sabbath, bloody Sabbath :roll_eyes: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Nice Toby!!
Can’t wait to see / hear what you produce with it! :+1: