Finger pain and burning sensation

Hi all,

I’ve been playing for a few months. After I developed callouses I went through a pain free period, however I’ve recently been experiencing tenderness and a burning sensation in my finger tips. Is this normal? Should I stop practicing?

1 Like

I tend to find my fingertips cycle quite a lot depending on how much I play and what I play.

I could strum basic open chords for days but some of the finger picking / heavy bending on acoustic still puts a lot of pressure on them

So as you progress your asking more of those fingers generally

2 Likes

I remember feeling this in the first few months of my playing. Although I’m not a doctor, I suggest taking a day off and letting the tenderness and burning reduce. Your fingertips react to the tenderness and burning sensation by building thicker callouses. You may want to consider reducing your daily practice time a bit to allow your fingers to catch-up to your enthusiasm :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Am not sure I can reduce my practice time :laughing: I’ve absolutely caught the bug! I guess I’ll try lol

3 Likes

Hi Samuel :slightly_smiling_face:,

I can very much relate to this. Normally, I don’t have any problems with finger pain, but this week I started a new module and have been so motivated that I practiced more than usual. And now… sore finger tips :see_no_evil:.

1 Like

Depends how bad it is and what kind of pain.

Sounds like you’re beyond the newbie pain when building calluses. I’ve found that as I do new things I get different finger sensations. Eg when first barreing new calluses form and new pain. Now I’ve started bending it’s more burning and new feelings

Judge if it’s damage pain or a new sensation. Like the pain of an injury or pain of a tough workout at the gym. Injury stuff, manage it. Good pain, don’t worry about it.

3 Likes

Muted strumming practice.

I feel like I went through a couple
Of phases of finger pain in the process.

1 Like

Keep on playing.
When there is pain, stop. Then try again later, when pain gets in the picture, stop again.
Just do this routine.

Remember, when pain starts, stop and rest.
This will ensure the full development of your callus, and the continued progression of your playing.

Haver fun.

2 Likes

Hi Rene,

If I had done that I still wouldn’t play 1 song after 3 years of practice, What JK says makes more sense…it depends on the type and reason of the pain…
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/how-to-minimize-finger-pain-b1-113
I hope all of this helps @mmameatboy
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Yep, very normal. Well at least for myself. I’m only 2 months in and there are many days that I feel the tips have actually split.
I found using just a hand cream to soften the callouses yet still retaining them worked for me but it still occurs.

1 Like