First AVOYP (Jose Gonzales "Heartbeats" + Jason Isbell "If we were Vampires", Fingerstyle)

Hey there,

I followed the advice to start an audio-/video recording of myself (first time ever). Besides the (expected) awkward experience of hearing my own voice from a speaker, I had to realize that it’s much harder to focus and stay calm when thinking of uploading the video and having a lot of people listening to it… So pulse was high and specially when the song was close to an end, I got another adrenalin push and I messed up some things → be gentle ;).

Besides, I have to say that I don’t possess any recording equipment yet, so it’s just a video from my mobile set to the table (–> strange angle/position/volume mix). Also, I use the capo/tuning quite freely to get the songs to my voices pitch (this will also be true for future recordings, if I dare to upload more). So it’s not a 1 to 1 copy of the original tune.

But, I am proud to finally have made it close to my expectations, so here it is:

Jason Isbell and the 400 “If we were Vampires”:

Jose Gonzalez: “Heartbeats”:

Thanks for listening and sharing your videos!
Best
Kumar

10 Likes

Great playing!
I especially liked the heartbeats version of José Gonzales, really great stuff! :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Ulrich,

Congratulations on posting your first two AVoYPs. Well done finger picking whilst singing is not easy to do and you done it very well.

You have a nice tone to your voice which suits the style of the songs very well and your playing was great.

Bravo… thank you for sharing. You can pour yourself a nice drink to toast your achievement and be proud of what you have accomplished.

1 Like

Super fingerstyle Ulrich. Don’t know either of your songs but a great ‘double’ debut AVoYP. I enjoyed them both. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys! Just celebrating with my second beer :sweat_smile:

Oh yes, what a magnificent first entry to AVOYP.
Your voice and fingers blend really well together and you bring a mellow, hypnotic groove to the songs. Bravo.

1 Like

That was excellent Ulrich! Beautiful playing and vocals. You should be very proud as that was a joy to listen to!!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Really nice work Ulrich or are you Kumar?

AWESOME! Especially loved Heartbeats, that is such an awesome song. Great share.

1 Like

Hey that was a great introduction, well done on the Heartbeats I know for a fact it takes a while to get it under your fingers :laughing: you played it really well, although I do think as part of your progress you can implement some more embellishments which were missing here and there comparing to original which you probably know of :slight_smile: but for now it was great, keep at it!

1 Like

Hi @adi_mrok, thanks for the comment and hint :slight_smile: . You’re totally right regarding the embellishments, that’s something for me to work on (still a bit out of my league while playing and singing a harder finger style song).

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Kumar, they were two excellent songs. Lovely fingerstyle and nice singing to boot.

With quality like that I’m not sure why you were nervous but hopefully the nerves will ease now that the first posting is out of the way.

1 Like

Hi Ulrich, this was awsome. Two beautiful, gentle songs, played well and your voice fits perfectly. Congrats! Seeing forward to hearing more…

1 Like

Hi Ulrich,
Congratulations on your first video…and what a one :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…Good to see and hear that you are no beginner :sunglasses:…I wish you lots of fun on your further guitar journey,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks,

Heartbeats is such a great song and you really did a good version of it; what tuning did you use here? It didn’t go into my live set because of the different tuning ^^

1 Like

Hi @roger_holland, thanks for the feedback!

For “Heartbeats” I tuned down the 2nd string by one semitone and the 6th string down by a full tone. I belief this is the normal tuning for this song, except that in the original song a capo is used on the first fret that I skipped to better match my voice.

1 Like

@batwoman: Ulrich is my real name (or Uli for short) but I know that this is quite hard to use when you are not a German speaker ;).

1 Like

Excellent performances on both of the songs, very nice indeed and a treat to listen to!
Well done for your first AVOP Ulrich, it’s fairly obvious that you’re not a beginner!

1 Like

Hi Ulrich, great playing! Motivated me to spend more time learning finger style. I particularly liked “If we were Vampires” I think the song choices fitted your playing style, and voice very well. The AVOYP and open mike sessions also allow us to discover new songs and I didn’t know these songs before.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Ulrich, bravo.

Both songs sounded fabulous and showcased some mighty fine ability to play, plus finger-pick and sing. I also really enjoyed your voice, the tone and phrasing.

Nothing wrong with making recordings with a phone. The balance was pretty good, which I’d say is aided by playing a nylon string and finger-picking which would not be as loud as say a strummed steel string. All I’d suggest for future would be to figure out a way to position the phone up a little higher and further back so we can see head and whole guitar. Just somehow more satisfying to see your face as well as the guitar (though I know that can be even more of a stretch to have one’s face in shot).

Also nothing wrong with using a capo and changing a songs key. That’s a smart move. Also nothing wrong in simplifying if necessary, or even interpreting and playing the song in your own way. In fact some would encourage that, rather than trying to mimic the original note for note.

So one or two too many apologies, I think. You can be well pleased, proud and satisfied with your performance and sharing. And I will be most disappointed if you don’t share more as you progress.

Thanks for clearing up the question about your profile name, avatar, sign-off. Ulrich it is, unless you far prefer Uli, neither of which seem to tricky as far as I am concerned, despite my not being a speaker of German. After all we all know how to pronounce the surname of Metallica’s drummer which I assume is the same as for your name :grin:

1 Like