First Finger A Chord

@jjw @adi_mrok thanks for the responses.

1 Like

@stitch Ahhh, thanks for that! I didnā€™t know that before. I also asked myself about the advantages to play the mini barre, when Iā€™m playing open chords.

Have to try that out compairing acoustic and electric!

3 Likes

How would you upstrum on this?

1 Like

Just as normal I would have thought Charles as you are muting the high E.

1 Like

Maybe on acoustic it would sound better or plugged into an amp but hitting the muted high E on my electric sounds pretty bad

1 Like

If it really bothers not fretting the high E , then you can play another A on the fifth fret of the high E string with your pinky

1 Like

@cckelly21 I also have issues with the upstrums using the Mini A barre. Upstrums sound not very pleasant on acoustic and electric. Even if my finger is placed correctly and I mute the first string, I get kind of a scratchy tone. Awful. Havenā€™t found a solution yet.

1 Like

Try aiming for the middle strings on the upstrum, I find it sounds pretty good. It takes a bit of practice, because we usually hit the top 2 or 3 strings for the upstrum.

BTW, if you are playing an electric unplugged, Iā€™m not surprised you donā€™t like the sound of the muted string, simply because the other strings are about the same volume. On an acoustic or plugged-in electric, the muted string is much quieter than than the other strings.

2 Likes

itā€™s been 10 days since Iā€™ve started practicing this and G string is still giving me trouble, is it supposed be hard?

1 Like

@sharath_chandra what kind of trouble is the G string giving you? Not sounding clearly?

1 Like

The string is most likely sitting in the crease of you finger. Try either rolling your finger over towards the nut or flattening it out more. Minor adjustment can make big differences.

2 Likes

itā€™s muted and if i try pressing a lot harder it is making an okish sound

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t have to press hard. You probably need to make adjustments in the position of your index finger, as @stitch suggests.

1 Like

If you use the first finger barre for A,fast tempo rock n roll(ADE)ā€¦locking at you Mr Holly . ā€¦become much easier to play.

1 Like

ā€œ That said Iā€™m struggling to get any context from the lesson or trying it in songs where I can see it would be advantageous to use it.ā€

@myall_blues Murray, I will admit that I didnā€™t spend too much time on the one finger A chord the first time through grade 2, but during my consolidation, I discovered that this is useful when used with the A/C# chord (@Richard_close2u mentioned above) that is covered in module 14.

I found that using the A/C# chord with D in the song Dance the Night Away sounds especially good.

2 Likes