First Jam session šŸ˜ƒ

So, itā€™s all go here at the moment for me and Ziggy.

New guitar on Friday and this Thursday (2 days time) Iā€™ve got another actual human being coming to my house to play guitar with me!

Iā€™m just after any general advice/ideas really as Iā€™ve never done this before. Iā€™ve seen the lessons on it in the grade 2 course, plus, though Iā€™ve not met him yet I teach his mum piano and there are no ā€œsafetyā€ issues to worry about.

We have chosen 3 songs to look at, shared the chords etc. I have purchased snacks (very important I feel). Anything else I need to know? Itā€™s quite funny, he used to play bass in a band, I used to sing in a duo and now weā€™re both playing guitar. I kind of figured if nothing else I can sing and he can play chords but thatā€™s kind of not the point :slightly_smiling_face:.

At the moment we both think the other one is going to be better at playing but we really donā€™t know ā€˜til we meet!

6 Likes

Hi Liz,
Donā€™t overthink too much, usually the beginning is a bit difficult ( i did it only once ā€¦so why usually ā€¦:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ),ā€¦but itā€™s fun of courseā€¦so have fun and enjoy.
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

There are no hard rules other than to enjoy it. If you both play the same chords in the same positions it will still be fineā€¦however it might be an idea to think about each of you playing chords in different positions (if you are able to) e.g. one play open chords, the other barre chords or triads. Another way to approach is for one to strum and the other pick out single notes of the chords OR maybe you or them can try and little improvisation whilst the other plays the chords.

If he can play bass (and is willing to) get him to bring it along as thatā€™ll add more funā€¦a guitar and bass combination will really work wellā€¦even if he doesnā€™t one approach might be for him to play the bass notes on his guitar whilst you strum the chords.

2 Likes

Thanks. The songs weā€™ve chosen all have little riffs and arpeggiated bits so Iā€™m hoping we can manage to do different things. There are also a few instrumental bits and Iā€™m fairly happy improvising with the minor pentatonic over chords even if he isnā€™t.

Iā€™m just hoping heā€™s not way more advanced than me and will be bored, time will tell.

1 Like

Ooo how nice!
No real advice, just have fun and enjoy it, at this stage you donā€™t really need any seriousness whatsoever, if itā€™s going to it will develop on its own; good luck, enjoyšŸ‘

Cheers Darrell, Iā€™m excited and a bit scared at the same time. Pretty standard in music I think!

1 Like

Good for you Liz, finding someone local to me is something I really want to do to help with my progression now so Iā€™ll be really interested to hear how it goes for you.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it!!

Indeed, whatā€™s music without a little fear!! :wink:

1 Like

Sure, I will report back. I found this guy by just telling everyone I see that Iā€™m Looking for someone to play with, eventually someone knows someone!

1 Like

Enjoy it, Liz, and look forward to an update post the event.

1 Like

Wow great news Liz and a wonderful opportunity. If heā€™s more advanced than you so much the better, as it will speed your development if it works out. And as others have said using different chord shapes and voicing etc. Donā€™t over think it at this stage and just enjoy it.
Been a long time since I had that opportunity but it was a good experience back in the day.
Have fun !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

That sounds perfect Liz. Food is always good :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Never played with another person yet, so I cannot give any advice other than to enjoy the experience and please report back on how you get on.