First Recording - Mad World

This is my first time recording myself playing a song. I didn’t have the microphone placed correctly so the guitar overpowers some of the vocals which is probably OK since my singing is still a work in progress.

Welcome any critique. I do realize that my strumming could be better but I am struggling with singing if there are up-strums. Need to work more on that.

16 Likes

That was great first video, well done Craig! I love this song (Gary Jules / Donnie Darko version). It was one of the early songs I learnt. I played old faithful pattern, I think it works better than four down strums. However, it is not perfect. I struggle to find the “proper” pattern for this song. I think no strumming will be perfect with this song/version as it is played on a piano with tones “dancing” up and down making the most important part of the feeling. The closest I got to that feeling on a guitar is to arpeggiate over chords to try to resemble the piano. Singing along is not easy with any song, you are on the right path there.

1 Like

Congrats on the first AVOYP, Craig. The first is the hardest.

You are making good progress. I didn’t pick up anything specific to point out. So just keep doing what you are doing, working on the strumming and the chords, playing songs, songs, songs and making those recordings.

2 Likes

Well done, :clap:

R

1 Like

Craig

Excellent first performance. Good, consistent rhythm and probably a very good voice in the background. Well done.

Brian

1 Like

Well done on your first AVOYP. Very solid performance :slight_smile:

You’ve got good rhythm. It seemed fairly consistent through-out the song. As somebody else mentioned, playing and singing at the same time is very difficult, so well done.

I only have a couple of small suggestions: You could try slowing it down a little, it feels like it’s little bit too fast for mood of the song

Also, try strumming back a bit further so you’re more in the middle of the sound hole. It looks like you’re strumming quite far forward. Strumming more in the middle will give you a deeper, richer sound.

I’ve been working on this song too, so you might get to see my version at some point.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Hi Craig,
This is your first video recording, congratulations because that’s a big thing :partying_face: :sunglasses:

Strumming guitar dynamics with singing is what no one expects in the beginning :blush:, but I already enjoyed listening and watching, you have something very pleasant (warm) in your voice … keep it up the good works :clap: :sunglasses: :clap:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Craig, congratulations that was really good and I would never had know it was your first recording so nice one. :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Craig, Nice job on your first post. Sounded good to my ears. I agree with what DavidP said^^^

1 Like

Thanks everybody!

I’ve made a goal to record myself at least once a month going forward. It will be a good yardstick to measure progress going forward.

Nice first recording, Craig. I’m looking forward to your future recordings and to watching your progress.

1 Like

Well done on posting your first AVoYP Craig. Some good stuff going on there and I look forward to more from you in the future.

1 Like