Fixed verses growth mindset

Found this on a government health social media posting and thought it might give some here encouragement. When it all seems a bit hard, whether at the beginning or just on a new song / technique, keep in mind the growth mindset

14 Likes

Itā€™s a good framework for thinking. My kidā€™s school is pretty big with this kind of stuff, they seem to talk about it every year.

2 Likes

@jkahn

As do we, JK :grin: At risk of poor form, I can reference my own reflections on this topic in my Learning Log: DavidP's Learning Log - #25 by DavidP

2 Likes

I like thisā¤ļø and saved it for a good reminder. Thanks.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing ā€œFixedā€ about that mindset, it is clearly broken.

5 Likes

This reminds me of my teacher in Wing Chun (self defense martial art): Whenever I said ā€œI canā€™t do thisā€ he replied with ā€œyetā€ and looked at me until I said ā€œI canā€™t do this yetā€ - and then heā€™d remind me to simply keep practicing.

Now, could somebody please remind me of this when I get frustrated that I canā€™t get that C chord right ā€¦ I mean, I canā€™t get it right yet? :joy:

3 Likes

With pleasure, Sarah. Iā€™m a big fan of that ā€˜yetā€™ ā€¦ make frequent use of it. I try make the sentence positive ā€¦ Iā€™ve not yet got the C chord right.

3 Likes

Inspiring, thanks for sharing

Still negative :thinking:
Try ā€œIā€™m on the way to getting it rightā€ :smiley:

1 Like

@brianlarsen

This is worth thinking about, Brian.

My understanding is that the brain doesnā€™t process ā€˜notā€™ very well. For example, how often if you say to yourself ā€˜Do not forget to buy bread and milk on the way homeā€™ and find yourself walking in the front door having forgotten, rather than remembered. Or telling a child not to touch the fragile ornament and shortly afterā€¦crash. Whereas telling the child to keep the hands off is more effective.

So applying that, the use of ā€˜not yetā€™ works OK for me in terms of being processed as something will still get right.

But hey oh, I am not a neuroscientist so may be way off track in this being an effective use of ā€˜yetā€™

Of course your suggestion is a good pattern.

Haha, I was about to send you a pm, so as not to clog the post with ridiculous semantics, when I realised semantics is precisely what this post is about :rofl:

Sounds plausible to me

Yup. Youā€™ve avoided the negative ā€˜notā€™. Thatā€™s what I was suggesting with my post above. Get rid of the word not in your sentence.

Is a negative statement

Aw, man! Now Iā€™ve lost count of how many angels were dancing on the head of that pin and have to start over :roll_eyes:
Maybe Iā€™ll just go back to trying to get that C chord sorted :wink:
Your Mierenneuker, etc.

3 Likes

How about this:

One day Iā€™ll get the C chord right.

(Iā€™ve kept several expletives out of that sentence that I grumbled very loudly yesterday - but I kept remembering this conversation soā€¦ One day! One day Iā€™ll get it just right!)

thinking of the only fools and horses lineā€¦ ā€œthis time next year weā€™ll be millionairesā€

How aboutā€¦ tomorrow I will get the C chord rightā€¦ and just keep saying that until the sentence becomesā€¦ today I got the C chord right.

Ah, Iā€™m someone who doesnā€™t do well with too much pressure (and as Iā€™m a perfectionist the pressure comes from myself, which is really not the best thing). How about: Someday soon, Iā€™ll get the C chord right, it might even be today.

Without the expletives of course :wink:

How much practice time do you waste talking about it instead of playing? :roll_eyes:ā€¦come on ā€¦play :sunglasses:
Greetings,

1 Like