Flying drones - video footage & chat etc

@tony Thanks for noticing and asking Tony. Do you fly drones also? I’d love to see your videos if so. I hope to get out to do some winter flying, but here’s a video I made in the fall.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting your drone video. Really beautiful scenery. My passion has long been FPV. Here’s a couple of my videos, the first is the older analog technology with the backing track generated by a family friend, the second is the dji fpv model which was used to film a muso’s new retirement abode and has her song in the background.

Flying through the BBQ in HD

Colleen’s new home

2 Likes

@tony great FPV videos, I’d love to be able to try that one day. I have a Mavic Air 2 so it’s not FPV compatible, but maybe one day.

2 Likes

Thanks. I flew RC planes for a decade before taking up FPV. It’s crazy immersive. When I first started fly FPV (Stands for First Person View, there’s a video camera that transmits to goggles worn by the pilot, so when I was flying, I saw exactly what you saw in the video), I would fly sitting in a camp chair and still found myself ducking when I flew the drone under a branch 100 metres away. The DJI FPV makes it so easy to learn and fly FPV.

2 Likes

Have to join in the party :joy:
Great flying from both of you! Some really nice scenery.
Mine are done with a DJI Mavic mini (sub 250gm model) I got this one to avoid the complicated regulations imposed on us in the UK now!
These flights were to show trees that were in a condition that needed attention by our local council to avoid possible property damage. We have a neighbourhood group that I am a member of so I offered my ability to do what was required.

And

The difference in season is explained by the flying conditions needed for such a light model, too much wind and there’s no chance of a safe flight!
Anyway, it was a success, we have had assurances that the work is on the urgent to do list!

1 Like

Thanks for posting Darrell, you got pretty close to those trees in places, and you can definitely see the potential for significant damage if a major storm took out a few of those trees!

We have similar ‘complicated regulations’ in Canada, so when I got my drone it took me awhile to decide between the Mini and the MA2. What actually ultimately sold me is my mistaken belief that the MA2 was FPV compatible. It’s actually not, but I’m glad I got the MA2 anyway, it’s really solid in very windy conditions. Last summer I was out at our local flying field on a particularly windy day and had my drone just sitting in the sky 40 or 50 feet up while I was talking to some guy, then he let his RC plane loose and just about took me out several times for the lack of control he had in the wind. Meanwhile, my drone was just sitting nicely barely being touched by the wind :laughing: There are also a ton of restrictions re no flying drones in city parks, provincial parks, etc, regardless of size, so the Mini wouldn’t have eliminated all the restrictions for me anyway. But even with all the regulations - I love flying my drone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I bought the AIR2s I was hoping it would be fpv compatible based on the rumours of the time. I’m struggling a bit with inspiration to use the Air2s in that I’m really hooked on the immersive FPV experience and flying through the visuals on my iPhone just isn’t the same. I just purchased an extension cable so I can try it with my Ipad instead.

@tony I hear you, but I do love going flying at my family’s camp, up the river, down the road, up the hill, using my iPhone. FPV in that setting would be amazing but, while I may bend the VLOS rules, if I were flying FPV by our restrictive regulations I would always need someone else there. FPV therefore remains a dream. For now. I did try to take my drone out today to get some winter shots but it was just too cold, -15 and windy. I may have to wait until March to get my winter shots!

1 Like

I have no idea about drones but all your shots look amazing guys!

2 Likes

Thank you Luka - it is definitely a fun hobby!

Yeah, it’s a great hobby and sometimes it can be put to good use. I’ve surveyed my own and two neighbours roofs to look for any damage and inspect the guttering. We all needed our guttering cleaned out and my one neighbour needed some flashing done!

2 Likes

Hi Mari, I have a drone and do a little flying but it’s getting quite restrictive on where you can fly in the UK officially…here’s a little video a year or so ago

2 Likes

@Rossco01 Lovely scenery and great cinematography Jason! Looks like a beautiful day to be flying. Yes we have so many restrictions too it really impacts where you can ‘officially’ go. There’s one guy locally on Instagram who flies all sorts of places that don’t look like places he can legally fly, but I prefer being able to relax, and not looking over my shoulder, so I generally just go flying on private property.

Yep Mari it’s a bit restrictive and I’m also very cautious of flying over too much forestry just in case I lose the signal…the drone has return home but you never know. In theory we cannot fly within 50 metres of anything! I do live in a forestry area so will be looking for other spots to fly from in the spring/summer.

1 Like

Hello Mari,
I’m waiting… :sunglasses:…although I’m afraid the drone will freeze over there… :grimacing:

1 Like

Looks like a nice place to fly Jason, I occasionally get to do a bit on the river Severn near Stourport, it’s quite nice down by the Marina.

Still too cold for me to fly Rogier. It’s getting closer to zero but then when the temps go up it snows!

It’s nice that it’s less (ridiculously) cold,…but when it snows, it only gets more beautiful, I would say after the snow, then immediately go outside,…you would say here in the Netherlands…5 minutes of snow, and it really goes off, then an hour is already a lot of snow ,
at least you live in a very beautiful area, I am impressed by so much beauty…

1 Like

Yes it’s a lovely area we live in. Monmouth is about 25 minutes from me but I literally live in the middle of Forest of Dean.

Ooo, another lucky one,… a few more years of savings and we will also go into a big green environment… :sunglasses: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: