Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio

If anyone in the UK was contemplating getting one, PMT have them on sale at the moment.

They were recently on sale in South-East Asia too. I snagged 1 from Malaysia for USD115, but it made me wonder if they have the 4th gen coming soon.

For those thinking of cheap-ing out on your first Audio Interface, donā€™t - Iā€™m replacing an M-Audio M Track Solo that I bought earlier this year for $40. Itā€™s really just a mediocre product overall (average audio quality, prone to electrical interference, inconsistent latency, hissing sounds at higher gains, and bugs out Ableton and Rocksmith with crackling sounds after awhile, even at 192 buffer size).

But also donā€™t pay more than you need to.

Even at its discounted price, the Focusrite is still more expensive than the Behringer U-phoria UMC204HD.

In a recent video, the Behringer was measured to be a better device than the Focusrite.

The UMC204HD is around $112 USD (S$149) at Swee Lee in Singapore.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I just checked Swee Lee in Malaysia and the UMC204HD is 360 MYR which is about $80 USD.

Next time I pop over to visit my Brother-in-law I might pick one up.

Cheers,

Keith

Better is debatable because Iā€™ve watched and read reviews that have the Scarlett ahead in audio quality. So for the small-ish price difference I went with something more reputable and seemingly fewer quality control issues, especially after my scarring experience with a couple of recent musical purchases where I cheap-ed out too much.

By the way I also bought the Behringer SL75 (which is a clone of the Shure SM57) and have been very pleased with it. Itā€™s USD20ish compared to the SM57 that goes for USD100ā€¦

Of course - everyone has a different perspective on cost-performance ratios.

Just in the process of starting to look at my recent present 2i2. Michaelā€™s NGearD Getting things registered, software set up and looking at videos, not tried to plug anything in yet.

In terms of my acoustic got a choice, do I use a cable as all the videos seems to show this or could I use my wireless transmitter, as I have both.

Does the wireless transmitter create undesirable latency or is there something else to be concerned about.

Havenā€™t used either so far, as not got to that stage yet.

Michael :question:

It shouldnā€™t. They are designed for low latency. And, as far as the audio interface is concerned, it should look like a guitar cable.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Keith @Majik
Thanks for quick response and answer.
Michael

1 Like

I see there is a 4th Gen just come out , typical when I have just got a 3rd Gen
Michael

Sods law Michael, always the way !

1 Like

not like you would want auto gain or clip safe anyway when @DavidP gives you plenty of tips and advice for setting up to record :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

There will come a time when I can follow you nerds with this kind of conversation :grimacing:ā€¦ next year I think/hope/believe :sunglasses:
:grin:

3 Likes

4th gen looks. A nice improvement but nothing enough to be worth the upgrade if you have one already

2 Likes

Yeah, I bought a 3rd Gen 4i4 earlier this year, which has been great for me, so donā€™t feel the need to upgrade myself, but if anyone is contemplating a new purchase, this is a good overview of the 4th Genā€™s features from Sweetwater:

Great news, just about to buy one but local stores were out of stock. Although the Gen4 bumps the price by another $80 :scream:

1 Like

Might have to stop following this thread as all it might do is upset me. :frowning:
In reality I have enough problems working out what all the adjustments do on 3rd Gen never mind all the new features in the 4th Gen.
Craig @CD02 just checked with a well known online retailer in the uk and price increase around 80GBP. Quite a hike in price.
Michael

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a ā€œnoā€ from me then, unless they can demonstrate significantly better technical capability (e.g. lower noise floor in real-world tests).

As it stands, having positive experience of the Behringer UMC204HD in the past, and seeing reviews that place it above the 3rd Gen Focusrite gear based on technical characteristic and VFM, thatā€™s probably where my money will go in the future.

Cheers,

Keith

It is a tough pill to swallow at $319 instead of $235. (Although the Gen 3 is still available atm) The YouTube reviews do talk favourably about the Gen 4 and itā€™s improvements but at my level Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll really benefit from any such improvement :roll_eyes:
I did look at the Behringer Keith, I just find it hard to go past what seems to be a really popular product in the Focusrite and there are many on here that are also very happy :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yep. Knew they were going to release the 4th gen with some of the discounted prices I was seeing when I bought mine few months back. I guess feel less bad since theyā€™ve bumped up the price and that somewhat preserves my Gen3ā€™s value if I ever decide to sell it.

Behringer got bad press for quality decades ago but it really is way in the past. All Iā€™d say is that the Focusrite marketing is just more in your face, so they always bubble to the top.
Behringer ? More bangs for your bucks. Yet to be disappointed and thatā€™s amps and AI.

:sunglasses:

1 Like