Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio

Both have two inputs. The 2i2 offers a little more options as you can have two mics if you want to have one for vocal and one for guitar say.

The 2i2 has two inputs which can take either XLR or 1/4" jack.

The Solo has only one XLR which can also take a 1/4") and one 1/4" jack only.

If you are only ever going to use one mic and one guitar input the Solo serves that purpose.

2i2

Solo

After my sound debacle in the OM, I have been increasing my research on the 2i2. I was hoping the USB mics I had would see me through, but ready to abandon that idea. My question is are people happy with the Mic that comes with the studio version? It is an area that I know very little about, so looking for people with first hand experience. Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil, I have the 2i2 Studio kit and I’m pretty happy with the mic so far.

1 Like

Thanks, it sounded good too. Glad you are happy with it, my use will be guitar, not sure it will ever get to singing, although I don’t want it to be limiting.

1 Like

It is a great piece of kit, Phil and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one. I used the mic that came with mine on Saturday night. I don’t hear what other hear but I’ve not heard anyone say anything about sound issues.

1 Like

Phil,

Firstly, I started with the kit and agree with all the other endorsements. It served my needs well.

That said, depending on needs and budget availability you may get better mileage buying individual items, the 2i2 AI, a mic, and headphones.

WRT mic, if your acoustic guitar is an electro-acoustic and you plan to play and sing together to make either AVOYP recordings or OM performance then a dynamic vocal mic may be a better option. I won’t go into the details unless you are interested.

WRT headphones, this is depending again on what you plan to do. You may or may not need the headphones that come with the kit. If you have adequate headphones (or better than built-in laptop speakers) already and just want to perhaps monitor as you are playing or listen back to a recording then probably good enough. If you want to get more into mixing and producing in a DAW, then probably worth buying headphones from a company that focuses on headphones, both comfort wise and quality (I recently made this upgrade from the Focusrite HPs)

1 Like

For those having the scarlett studio microphone package, which microphone stand did you buy?

I got a Hercules stand Mathieu, it was about £50 but I can’t see it on their website any more. I do like the stand though, it does the job I bought it for

1 Like

I bought two…. The first was a dud :joy:.

This is the good one I bought: PSA1+ | Premium Professional Studio Arm | RØDE

Fastens to my desk and I can just grab it and move between sitting and standing. I didn’t want a giant floor standing one.

1 Like

Hey Phil, bit harsh to cal it a debacle and I think the bigger issue was Zoom!!

On the Scarlett mic, and despite me recent comments elsewhere, it’s good to get going with especially if you’re using it mainly to record the acoustic.

As for a stand, I’m using a anglepoise style boom arm that came with a Marantz USB mic which I actually don’t like as I’m finding limitations on how I can position it, I’d highly recommend a proper stand.

Either way, the 2i2 studio kit is a very solid investment and worth every penny imo.

1 Like

@SgtColon @jkahn @Notter Thanks, I will look into those recommandations. I can’t wait to receive my scarlett. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I’ve been reading the post and it is very informative, thank you.

I’m finally starting to accept the need of an AI, primarily for recording/producing. I believe I’m going with the studio pack, my only question is about the mic, being a condenser one, would it be possible to record electric and vocals at the same time with the mic not grabbing too much noise?

1 Like

I’d say no. I recorded electric and vocals and could hear the strummed acoustic sound of electric guitar strings pretty clearly through the mic. Didn’t sound great, I ended up recording a separate vocal track.

Hey Kevin,

Much better off with a dynamic mic if using a single one for guitar and vocals together. Works well with my Focusrite.

Cheers, Shane

Well… It’s over for these pros :sunglasses:
Now I only need a dynamic microphone and I’ll be set for years (or a month at least).

6 Likes

@sclay

Shane, I would suggest a condensor if using a single mic.

The benefit of the dynamic is less sensitivity and if a vocal mic would help reject ambient sound, including the guitar, when positioned to sing into it. It is the right mic when you want to record two tracks and reduce guitar bleed onto the vocal track when either recording the guitar with built-in electronics or a second mic.

I suppose if one positions the dynamic appropriately in terms of distance and position relative to the mouth and guitar, it would work fine.

But I think the extra sensitivity of the condensor would produce a better guitar sound and again if well positioned relative to mouth and guitar (perhaps upside down, level with the mouth, and a slight angle to the guitar) then you would be able to find a good balance between the singing and the guitar sound for a single track recording.

1 Like

@KevinKevan

Enjoy Kevin

Happy New Gear Day Kevin !
:sunglasses:

Cheers! All set up and sounding good. I’m curious, do you usually connect the guitar into the AI or the amp, and that to the AI?
My idea was to use some Amp simulation plugin to fool around but of course, latency :frowning:
I’ve only been able to record the totally dry signal from the guitar and then apply the tone effects/amp things.

1 Like

Kevin

When I am using my Berringer AIs I go GTR → AMP/POD → AI → PC/DAW/OBS/ZOOM
But if your using an amp sim and FX in a DAW GTR DI → AI - DAW

:sunglasses:

1 Like