Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input Dave. Youā€™ve been doing this for a while, so I apprecaiate your advice. However, I just prefer the dynamic mics. I have found so far, they produce a good balanced sound, are easier to work with, and pretty much eliminate any bleed between the sources. Of course Iā€™m still somewhat a novice in this area, so continue to experiment with both dynamic and condenser.
Hope your recovery is on the continual improve mate.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done both, they both work, depends what gear you have I think. These days I go guitar ā†’ amp ā†’ line out to AI though because my amp has good cab simulation and Iā€™d rather just use the amp for effects.

The latency can be imperceptibly small, hereā€™s the Focusrite guide on setting buffer size which is the main thing that controls latency: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004120965-Sample-Rate-Bit-Depth-Buffer-Size-Explained. Short summary, set it as low as it will go without audio glitches. I have mine on 64. Canā€™t hear latency at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input guys.
Iā€™ll try to lower the buffer thingy, since Iā€™m very much interested in exploring some vintage amps on the DAW and would be amazing to play around with it with no latency.
Regarding the mics, Iā€™ll get a dynamic at some point for gigs so itā€™ll be interesting to try it on the AI, especially while playing electric!

You will never get ā€œno latencyā€. You can minimise the latency and it boils down to how much is acceptable for you.

Different people have different tolerance for latency.

Bear in mind that sound travelling through air has latency. 20ms latency is equivalent to standing about 20 ft away from your amp.

Cheers,

Keith

@sclay Thanks Shane. Just sharing my own experience to add further perspectives, food for thought. I donā€™t think there are any hard and fast rules and what you say makes sense. If works and sounds good then it is good.

Agreed, which is why I would also use a dynamic for my vocal when playing and singing with the recording (or stream) being 2 channels, one for guitar and one for vocal.

In context, I think Kevin was initially asking about using a single mic, a one channel deal. At least that was what I thought until subsequent questions asked that suggest otherwise :grin:

Appreciate that, better day by day. I am back at work, feeling good, although not yet 100%.

1 Like

Kevin, are you talking electric or acoustic? May follow a different approach depending on that answer, and the amp you have.

I suspect youā€™ll need a dynamic if playing the electric, even if listening to the electric being played gtr->amp->AI through the AI direct monitor. Reason for that being the condensor likely to pick up pick on string noise in a distracting kind of way, @TheMadman_tobyjenner would probably have thoughts based on his OM setup.

For sure a condenser will pick up the ā€œacousticā€ sound of the electric, as if you were playing un-amped. It happened some of my early OMs and something I quickly rectified with a Shure SM58 LC. And I still have to careful if I use a Hollow Body.

1 Like

Yes, you can do a bit of minimisation by positioning the mic so that the cardioid is directed away from the guitar, a little bit of string slap will still get through now and then though. Iā€™ve been experimenting with putting my mic so that the cardioid is facing upwards, and with the stand positioned relative to me so that Iā€™m looking slightly left (towards my fretting hand) to be able to sing into it when Iā€™m playing and that helps reduce string noise from my electric even further.

I found that this makes for much less string noise.

2 Likes

This is pure genius, I tried it last night with the website to play along on my electric during an exercise with Justin and it worked perfectly. I cannot believe that I didnā€™t think of it before!

It also gives me a way to play silently in the evenings and mornings. Top marks :grin:

(And happy anniversay to Mr and Mrs @sclay)

OK the 212 is on sale, $299 isnā€™t a big deal financially, itā€™s tempting, using a rocksmith cable now and recent chat on that has me thinking about an upgrade.

Worth it?

Ooh I could also connect the fender gtx up though it too that would be good

1 Like

Iā€™m still using my Gen1 2i2, and it still does everything I want it to, so Iā€™d certainly recommend it.

I have been tempted to upgrade to a 4i4, but Iā€™ve got no real need to other than getting something newer.

1 Like

Press that button Rob! You know you want to. :crazy_face:
Had mine for about a year. Has become the centre piece, and workhorse, of my whole setup.
Top quality construction, faultless operation, great company. Focusrite software is pretty good too, and they release some cool freebies every now and then. Plus, plenty of tutorials, tech info around as needed, as its so commonplace.

Have you pressed that button yet? :smile:

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Rob, I guess the key is to understand the use cases. I canā€™t recall but donā€™t think singing is your thing. In which case perhaps the opportunity to connect the amp is sufficient reason to acquire. I assume from your comment that there is no way to connect the amp via a cable into the USB port.

On the other hand, if you use apps in the PC to model pedals, amps, cabinets and the rocksmith cable does the job then perhaps not really needed. And then with the dollars mentally spent, maybe there are other options that would give you more than an AI?

As for 2i2, I have the second gen that has served me well since I began the adventure in early 2018.

2 Likes

There is but afik its much poorer sound than the other outputs

Thanks Rob. Then if recording the amp is something useful then as Shane said, press that button :laughing:

1 Like

There are some times when you might want to record with two microphones. This can be done, typically with two different mics, on both acoustic guitars and amplifiers. These two different tracks are blended in post-processing to give you the best possible sound.

The price differential between a single vs a two microphone input interface is minimal and in this hobby, any chance to future-proof yourself is a chance worth considering. These are my own opinions though and your mileage may vary.

5 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about buying a Scarlett Solo for recording and playing around with a DAW. I have no intention to use multiple instruments or multiple mics, just one from each, so the Solo should be fine for me.

My question is regarding switching on effects on the fly, like I would do with an IRL pedal by stepping on its switch. Is that possible somehow without buying an actual effect pedal?

(I did not want to open a separate thread as the question itself fits here also, 2i2 not being different in this matter.)

2 Likes

you can get foot switches for PC that can control effects depending on your software, the Solo wont do this on its own.

you could record the ā€˜dryā€™ sound and apply the effects afterwards where needed

2 Likes

I meant something like that, that is: a separate pedal that switches in the DAW.
You answered my hidden question too :slight_smile: That is: I can apply effects after the track was recorded.

Do you have an example for such a PC foot switch that does the job? What should I look for?
Is that what they call a midi foot controller?

1 Like

Depends on your setup and software but there are heaps, USB or BT, midi pedals etc, Iā€™ve not used any so no recommendations on specifics

https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-foot-switch/s?k=bluetooth+foot+switch

Often people will record both the wet and dry channels (however the wet is generated) - youā€™ll listen to the wet mostly as a guide, then apply/re-amp the dry to taste later. Its not beginner level stuff but its not that hard afik

2 Likes