Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input Dave. You’ve been doing this for a while, so I apprecaiate your advice. However, I just prefer the dynamic mics. I have found so far, they produce a good balanced sound, are easier to work with, and pretty much eliminate any bleed between the sources. Of course I’m still somewhat a novice in this area, so continue to experiment with both dynamic and condenser.
Hope your recovery is on the continual improve mate.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

I’ve done both, they both work, depends what gear you have I think. These days I go guitar → amp → line out to AI though because my amp has good cab simulation and I’d rather just use the amp for effects.

The latency can be imperceptibly small, here’s the Focusrite guide on setting buffer size which is the main thing that controls latency: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004120965-Sample-Rate-Bit-Depth-Buffer-Size-Explained. Short summary, set it as low as it will go without audio glitches. I have mine on 64. Can’t hear latency at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input guys.
I’ll try to lower the buffer thingy, since I’m very much interested in exploring some vintage amps on the DAW and would be amazing to play around with it with no latency.
Regarding the mics, I’ll get a dynamic at some point for gigs so it’ll be interesting to try it on the AI, especially while playing electric!

You will never get “no latency”. You can minimise the latency and it boils down to how much is acceptable for you.

Different people have different tolerance for latency.

Bear in mind that sound travelling through air has latency. 20ms latency is equivalent to standing about 20 ft away from your amp.

Cheers,

Keith

@sclay Thanks Shane. Just sharing my own experience to add further perspectives, food for thought. I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules and what you say makes sense. If works and sounds good then it is good.

Agreed, which is why I would also use a dynamic for my vocal when playing and singing with the recording (or stream) being 2 channels, one for guitar and one for vocal.

In context, I think Kevin was initially asking about using a single mic, a one channel deal. At least that was what I thought until subsequent questions asked that suggest otherwise :grin:

Appreciate that, better day by day. I am back at work, feeling good, although not yet 100%.

1 Like

Kevin, are you talking electric or acoustic? May follow a different approach depending on that answer, and the amp you have.

I suspect you’ll need a dynamic if playing the electric, even if listening to the electric being played gtr->amp->AI through the AI direct monitor. Reason for that being the condensor likely to pick up pick on string noise in a distracting kind of way, @TheMadman_tobyjenner would probably have thoughts based on his OM setup.

For sure a condenser will pick up the “acoustic” sound of the electric, as if you were playing un-amped. It happened some of my early OMs and something I quickly rectified with a Shure SM58 LC. And I still have to careful if I use a Hollow Body.

Yes, you can do a bit of minimisation by positioning the mic so that the cardioid is directed away from the guitar, a little bit of string slap will still get through now and then though. I’ve been experimenting with putting my mic so that the cardioid is facing upwards, and with the stand positioned relative to me so that I’m looking slightly left (towards my fretting hand) to be able to sing into it when I’m playing and that helps reduce string noise from my electric even further.

I found that this makes for much less string noise.

2 Likes

This is pure genius, I tried it last night with the website to play along on my electric during an exercise with Justin and it worked perfectly. I cannot believe that I didn’t think of it before!

It also gives me a way to play silently in the evenings and mornings. Top marks :grin:

(And happy anniversay to Mr and Mrs @sclay)