Folk Fingerstyle Patterns Part 1

Thanks for this…
There is only one way of writing musical notes - it includes the note, the length of the note and the way it should be played (soft, loud, staccato etc). The way it is written here does not follow this convention and is of no use for working out the timing. The bass notes as played by Justin are not all quarter notes (crotchets) - some are half notes (quavers). If a pattern is 1 2&3& 4 it’s 1 crotchet (a bass note), 4 quavers (bass note, treble note, base note, treble note) and 1 crotchet (the final bass note). If the pattern is 1 2 3&4 it’s 2 crotchets, 2 quavers and 1 crotchet.
As you say, the way to go is to play it using the timing in the video rather than looking at the notes here.

1 Like

It made absolute sense as soon as I read your reply! I think I might be starting to get the hang of it!! Thank you to everyone who’s helped!!

1 Like

OK so have just about got patterns #1 to #4 learnt and changing between them so looking for songs to try them on.
Used the filter in Justin’s songs for finger style, but it seem to come up with songs way above these simple patterns with tricky chords and fast changes. I am working on a few songs that have specific patterns such as Wonderful Tonight and Leaving on a Jet plane.
Has anybody got any suggestions for some songs with simple chords that I can use these basic patterns on.
Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael (@MAT1953)

Not sure about songs with those specific patterns but if I recall correctly Dust in the Wind is pretty much pattern 1 with an additional note at the end of the bars. @TheMadman_tobyjenner will remember more clearly than me as he’s currently working on the song and my minds gone hazy as I’ve got other patterns running through it at the moment.

2 Likes

Sounds about right James, though I’d not looked at the Grade 5 module for a while.
In Dust the open G is played on 4+

JG Pattern 1

Dust

In respect of the original question, I’ve not gone digging for specific songs for the Grade 5 patterns, as I am working my way back up there. But I have gone through my Songbook applying the earlier 4:4 patterns just to see what works and adjusting to suit.

However I am sure I made a song list somewhere a few years ago, back when these patterns where part of the old technique lesson set. So I’ll share if I can find them.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi @MAT1953 , I would suggest trying them on any folky-type song that is in 4:4 time. Knockin’ on Heavens Door comes to mind, many of the early Dylan songs might work. Wonderful Tonight also sounds good fingerpicked. I think Justin teaches it with a specific pattern (not one of these), but you could try to play these over those chords (the usual 4 chords in the key of G).

3 Likes

@Socio
Thanks James that looks like a possible one.

I have heard it mentioned in the community before but when I listened to it I have absolutely no recollection of the it, given when it was released in the late 70’s. Doesn’t seem to have made the uk charts as far as I can tell.

Turning to the song, had a look at the tabs and you say very like pattern #1 and #3 with a few variations but played at double time. The chord sequence is quite involved but basically because the melody is being within it.

Using Lieven phrases I could “make a song my own/build it up in layers” I think I could make a simplified version work.

Michael

2 Likes

Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner
You have done what I did and compared the two, and a James says there is a note on 4+
I did think about trying some patterns on my song book but it is not that extensive hence I asked the question.
Michael

2 Likes

John @jjw
I will have a look at Knocking on Heavens Door, already know the words as I did it with my singing teacher.
Wonderful Tonight - Justin teaches it with a specific pattern, bass note only played once in a bar. I am learning Justin’s version and at just about at the point of combining playing and singing, so wouldn’t want to confuse things with a different.
Thanks though for the suggestions.
Michael

1 Like

I just about got these 2(4) patterns. I noticed that sometimes I forget and use the 2nd finger for playing also the G string instead of 1st finger. It feels more natural to me, but I guest I would need to overcome this (probably what is called “bad habbit”?)
Also sometimes my thumb, when it goes from A to D string (while A still ringing), hits the A string and it creates an unpleasent buzz. I helps if I rotate my palm “outwards” when fingerpicking.
Have to sort these two out and when I will also be able to fluidly change between both patterns while also chaning chords, I will be able to move on to the next lession.

1 Like

Hi @bk2 , many players use non-standard finger assignments and most teachers (that I’ve seen) will say to do whatever feels best and natural. Lots of old-timers (and some not so old) use only 2 (or even 1) finger to play all 3 treble strings.

However, after playing many years with only two fingers for the treble strings, I recently switched to the standard assignment of one finger per treble string. I’m finding this better, because I never have to decide or think about which finger plays which treble string. That definitely makes things easier.

2 Likes

The notes played with fingers in Pattern 1 last for 1 & 2 then & 3 then & 4 & respectively.

Other patterns can be interpreted in a similar manner.
:slight_smile: