For UK Folks: Practice Acoustic wanted to buy, rent, or borrow

Hello UK Friends! I’m a US resident planning to visit the UK (Lake District) for a couple months starting mid-September 2022. I’d like to keep up my practicing during my holiday, but for various reasons I’m not able to bring my own guitar. I’d like to explore options to enable me to keep going during the trip, and would welcome your suggestions. Here are some of my ideas:

Idea #1–Buy a starter guitar in the UK, then sell at the end of the trip. Something like a Yamaha FS800, FG800, F310 or equivalent from other brands. I’m sure there are reasonable options on Ebay or equivalent, or perhaps somebody has one they’d like to sell?? I would try to resell for about 10-20% less upon leaving, and this difference would be worth it to keep up my practice. Suggestions on how to quickly sell at the end of the trip are appreciated.

Idea #2–Rent a guitar from somewhere for my trip. Not sure where I would do this, any suggestions? Anybody want to rent one they have lying around?

Idea #3–Borrow from someone and return to them at the end of the trip. Anybody feel particularly gracious and want to let me use theirs for a couple months?

I’m guessing option #1 is the most practical and predictable, but welcome your ideas. Thanks in advance

I’d go for buying something affordable yet playable.
That is more fun when you’re there; going into a shop and picking something up, testing a few guitars! :smiley:

1 Like

I’d go for option #3, Bob :wink:
You can borrow my Fender C60 if you like.
I believe instruments should lead interesting lives, just like their caretakers :smiley:
I don’t know much about this one’s heritage. My daughter found it in a skip (dumpster) in Edinburgh and brought it home when to me. It cleaned up nicely, but could do with another string change.
I asked how it felt about a trip to the Lake District and it said it was feeling a bit neglected of late and that a holiday might be something to look forward to.
You’d have to pick it up from West Kirby, Merseyside, but it’s not all that far and you might as well see Liverpool while you’re at it. I have no idea what my plans or schedule will be then, but message me if you want more details.
Here’s a clip (mobile phone recording) if you want to see/hear it
Cheers, Brian

7 Likes

Hey @brianlarsen that’s very kind of you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Not me, @LievenDV, this guitar seems to have a mind of its own :rofl:

2 Likes

Top man Brian.
Vibes to you.
Vibrations to the Johnny Cash Dumpster.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

What a jolly good egg you are sir !

Hi Brian. Thanks for your kind offer. Unfortunately, I will not have a car while we are in Cumbria and will be limited to public transportation (one of the reasons I will not be bringing my own guitar). We will stay in Ambleside and we do have friends where packages can be shipped. Could it be an option to ship in a case or box?

I know beggars should not be choosers, but how is the action on this guitar? As a new student, something that is quite playable, and I’ll sacrifice some should quality for good action.

Best regards, Bryan Hill

1 Like

It might be worth giving Promenade Music a call in Kendal. They do music instrument hire ( generally for events ). Whether they’ll do it for individuals and ship not sure >> PM Hire - Hire of PA Systems, Digital Pianos, Amplification, Drum Kits . Kendal will be your largest main town but still a reasonable distance away, particularly if only using public transport.

Public Transport - buses - not too bad in the Lakes but it’ll take you a while to get places.

Howdy, and thanks for the suggestion. I’ll contact the folks in Kendal. We’re pretty adept at using the bus system in the Lakes, we go there for a few months every year, with exception of 2020-2021 due to Covid. Bus from Ambleside to Kendal is an easy journey.

Best regards, Bryan Hill

1 Like

My guitar is gently weeping because I told her she can’t go to the lake district on holidays :disappointed_relieved:
She doesn’t have any suitable travelling clothes and I also made her doubt her ‘action’.
She’s sitting in the corner sulking now.
I hope you’re happy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like