Free Fallin' by Tom Petty Lesson

@chris_m Go with Justin’s lesson if you are looking for a one-guitar stand alone version.
See my response to Mick.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

1 Like

D U D D U D
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

D D D U D D U D
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

Trying to learn this strumming pattern. Would someone familiar with the lesson mind penciling in the chords below the strums. I’ve got most of them but I’m not positive about some of the faster changes. Thank you.

PS If you watch the video at 50% speed it’s like taking a lesson from drunk Justin.

2 Likes

I tried to enter spaces to make the strum directions line up with the strum counts, but it got reformatted. If you just put the chords below the direction letters I’ll figure it out.

1 Like

@wdperkins
The basic strum taught for the intro and in the counting chapter of the video lesson is:

And here is the fuller rhythm. Note the chords are in the exact same bar positions.

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m approaching a year into learning and have been surprised by the challenges of the right hand. It hadn’t occurred to me. Particularly when I try to add singing, any kind of non-trivial strumming pattern just seems to wander off.

2 Likes

I can’t find the chord progression for free fallin without a capo under the song tab of our L9 song list. ls it D, G, Asus2?

I’m really enjoying these practice alongs. It’s been helpful. Big thanks for putting these together!

1 Like

D G Asus4. He’s playing it with the same chord shapes as the song with out the capo

2 Likes

IDK why, but the 16th strumming on this song is SO hard for me. Granted, I’m only in module 1 of grade 2 and I know this is “intermediate” stuff, but I was able to nail the Wonderwall 16th strumming with much less difficulty. I think it’s the fact that the tempo to this song is so much slower and there’s less actual strumming happening with each up and down movement of the hand. I’m getting better with each practice, but definitely not progressing as fast as I did with Wonderwall. I’m enjoying the challenge, though.

2 Likes

Oh crap, this is FAR too complicated for me. I thought I got here at the right time but clearly I am no where near it… ITs taken me an hour to realise and get to these versions of D, G, G, A (thingy).
And the strumming is so far beyond me, might as well be asking me to perform complex max whilst making me juggle flaming chainsaws and simultaneously hitting me over the head repeatedly with a plank of wood…

And breathe… This guitar malarky is by FAR the most complicated and difficult thing I have ever tried, which is ridiculous if you know about all the other things I can do.
I’m currently halfway through Grade 2 Mod 8…
Luckily, I’ve never quit anything in my life…

3 Likes

Please provide chord diagrams for the 2nd guitar part that Justin discusses with the capo at the 1st fret from 15:16 - 16:42 of the video. While Justin mentions the chord names, it’s difficult for me to understand the fingering that he’s using.

1 Like

I’ve watched the video several times, but I’m still not understanding the relevance or the meaning of the e+a…
Can someone explain it even more simply for me please?

1 Like

For counting 16th notes, there are four syllables for each beat. So, beat one would be spoken “one-eee-and-uh”, or 1e+a. A full measure would be one-eee-and-uh, two-eee-and-uh, three-eee-and-uh, four-eee-and-uh.

You might have a look here: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/ups-to-the-all-down-b2-906

2 Likes

Ahhhh excellent, thank you.
Glad it wasn’t just me being thick, it was something I hadn’t come across before.
Thanks again

1 Like

@Richard_close2u
I am pretty late to this comment here. Haha. But I have been wondering the same so far in my journey. Do I need to know all the strumming patterns before I can fully move on from a module? I give all the strumming patterns a try at least a few times and try my best to work them out. But how crucial is for instance moving on knowing the “easiest” pattern and moving on from there?
Hopefully my question makes sense, I just want to make sure i’m not moving to far ahead in a sense.

1 Like

See my answer here: Free Fallin' by Tom Petty Lesson - #7 by Richard_close2u

learning the above had a problem moving from the A to B power chord so changed the fingering use fingers 234 to form the E then move fingers 34 to form the A then slide fingers 34 down and use finger 1 on the B works a treat.

Hi John,
If you have a question specifically about a lesson, you can ask your question in the topic that concerns it, this makes it easier for people to answer your question if necessary, and it keeps things a little clearer.
You can find these topics by clicking on ‘Discussion’ next to the learn more button …and scroll further down and you will find 'view full discussion…
Hope this helps, :smiley:
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/free-fallin-by-tom-petty-lesson/3383
Kind regards,Rogier

The first power chord shown in the diagram should be an F5 (F and C), with fretting for the fifth (C) on the 3rd fret of the A string, not the second fret.

Boy, @jwilbanks and @Shodan summarised my experience perfectly. I’m finding this very simple strumming pattern absurdly difficult to implement. I had Wonderwall and Wish You Were Here down pretty solidly after a few days but haven’t much to show on Free Fallin’ after two weeks. I’ve slowed it down to 40 bpm and can eventually get the pattern on muted strings (most of the time). I can even do that while playing the D chord, but add the chord changes, and it all falls apart. I call that progress. Maybe today I’ll get the D to G worked into it.

My other issue is these three chords require enough of a shift of my hand that I often inadvertently bend the B string, making the D chord sound a bit off. Then, the Asus4 often doesn’t sound great because of the index/middle fingers crossing awkwardly. I sometimes wonder if reversing them might end up being easier.

This song is a great teacher of many lessons.

2 Likes

This is certainly one of those songs that I feel it’s good to get the basic version down then keep working on it and improving it as time goes forward. Justin’s demonstration of working on song dynamics was tremendous and I’m really going to focus on it once I get the basics down.