Free Fallin' by Tom Petty Lesson

Learn to play Free Fallin' by Tom Petty on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Free Fallin' by Tom Petty | JustinGuitar

As a beginner in Grade 2, how proficient should we be at all 3 different types of strumming patterns before moving on to next module? I feel like it is much more difficult than Brown Eyed Girl.

Another random question as well. My end goal is learning fingerstyle. How much time should I spend learning the strumming patterns with a pick?

1 Like

@smg0385 I myself am starting grade 2 after a year. Thatā€™s probably slower than most people but my personal mindset is different than others. Having said that, I feel very comfortable with different strumming patterns.

I think the trick is to do what you need to do to stay engaged in improving, but if it becomes too much of a chore, then move on. Youā€™ll know what youā€™ll want to improve.

If you like how youā€™re playing with the current strumming pattern, then move on. If you want to learn a new one, then you can work at it. Itā€™s all up to us.

I wish us both luck in grad 2.

1 Like

Itā€™s a little frustrating that the chords given here differ from the lesson as Justin teaches it. Yes, you can transpose the chords to match his key, but the TAB is still missing the root chord in the second bar of the two bar sequence.

Makes me lose some faith in the authoritativeness of these TABs. Harumph.

1 Like

Iā€™m commenting on the TAB posted in the subscription TAB feature of JustinGuitar.com

1 Like

Must admit the TAB has me scratching my head. I suspect itā€™s the technically correct version from the original publisher. Technically correct sheet music is not always the easiest to play or even what Tom Petty wouldā€™ve played himself. I had this problem with a Bob Dylan songbook I had years ago.

The chords page and Justinā€™s strumming pattern sounds close enough for me so I will go with that.

1 Like

@smg0385
Iā€™m a little late catching on to the questions for this song lesson - apologies.
The strumming patterns (multiple) are not a prerequisite for moving to another module.
Justin here, like in many of the ā€˜beginnerā€™ songs, presents varying levels of difficulty with which a song can be played and learned. these songs can stay with you and be songs you return to as you develop your skills, enabling you to enhance how you play them.
Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

@Mick

The TABs are produced by the music copyright holders in many cases. A long term project that Justin writes about in the TAB Intro / FAQ is to align all TABs with his actual teaching, where they differ.
I have just skimmed the TAB for this and it is complex - four separate guitar parts tabbed out. That is great if you want to play in a band or record multiple layers or pick a part and play along with the original.
The way Justin teaches it is designed for a single guitar to incorporate the key, recognisable elements. Towards the end of the lesson Justin does present two other options / two other parts that you can play also.

Hope that helps or at least gives a satisfactory explanation for your query.

2 Likes

@chris_m Go with Justinā€™s lesson if you are looking for a one-guitar stand alone version.
See my response to Mick.

1 Like

D U D D U D
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

D D D U D D U D
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

Trying to learn this strumming pattern. Would someone familiar with the lesson mind penciling in the chords below the strums. Iā€™ve got most of them but Iā€™m not positive about some of the faster changes. Thank you.

PS If you watch the video at 50% speed itā€™s like taking a lesson from drunk Justin.

2 Likes

I tried to enter spaces to make the strum directions line up with the strum counts, but it got reformatted. If you just put the chords below the direction letters Iā€™ll figure it out.

1 Like

@wdperkins
The basic strum taught for the intro and in the counting chapter of the video lesson is:

And here is the fuller rhythm. Note the chords are in the exact same bar positions.

I hope that helps.

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m approaching a year into learning and have been surprised by the challenges of the right hand. It hadnā€™t occurred to me. Particularly when I try to add singing, any kind of non-trivial strumming pattern just seems to wander off.

2 Likes

I canā€™t find the chord progression for free fallin without a capo under the song tab of our L9 song list. ls it D, G, Asus2?

Iā€™m really enjoying these practice alongs. Itā€™s been helpful. Big thanks for putting these together!

1 Like

D G Asus4. Heā€™s playing it with the same chord shapes as the song with out the capo

2 Likes

IDK why, but the 16th strumming on this song is SO hard for me. Granted, Iā€™m only in module 1 of grade 2 and I know this is ā€œintermediateā€ stuff, but I was able to nail the Wonderwall 16th strumming with much less difficulty. I think itā€™s the fact that the tempo to this song is so much slower and thereā€™s less actual strumming happening with each up and down movement of the hand. Iā€™m getting better with each practice, but definitely not progressing as fast as I did with Wonderwall. Iā€™m enjoying the challenge, though.

2 Likes

Oh crap, this is FAR too complicated for me. I thought I got here at the right time but clearly I am no where near itā€¦ ITs taken me an hour to realise and get to these versions of D, G, G, A (thingy).
And the strumming is so far beyond me, might as well be asking me to perform complex max whilst making me juggle flaming chainsaws and simultaneously hitting me over the head repeatedly with a plank of woodā€¦

And breatheā€¦ This guitar malarky is by FAR the most complicated and difficult thing I have ever tried, which is ridiculous if you know about all the other things I can do.
Iā€™m currently halfway through Grade 2 Mod 8ā€¦
Luckily, Iā€™ve never quit anything in my lifeā€¦

3 Likes

Please provide chord diagrams for the 2nd guitar part that Justin discusses with the capo at the 1st fret from 15:16 - 16:42 of the video. While Justin mentions the chord names, itā€™s difficult for me to understand the fingering that heā€™s using.

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched the video several times, but Iā€™m still not understanding the relevance or the meaning of the e+aā€¦
Can someone explain it even more simply for me please?

1 Like

For counting 16th notes, there are four syllables for each beat. So, beat one would be spoken ā€œone-eee-and-uhā€, or 1e+a. A full measure would be one-eee-and-uh, two-eee-and-uh, three-eee-and-uh, four-eee-and-uh.

You might have a look here: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/ups-to-the-all-down-b2-906

2 Likes