Free Fallin' by Tom Petty Lesson

Ahhhh excellent, thank you.
Glad it wasn’t just me being thick, it was something I hadn’t come across before.
Thanks again

1 Like

@Richard_close2u
I am pretty late to this comment here. Haha. But I have been wondering the same so far in my journey. Do I need to know all the strumming patterns before I can fully move on from a module? I give all the strumming patterns a try at least a few times and try my best to work them out. But how crucial is for instance moving on knowing the “easiest” pattern and moving on from there?
Hopefully my question makes sense, I just want to make sure i’m not moving to far ahead in a sense.

1 Like

See my answer here: Free Fallin' by Tom Petty Lesson - #7 by Richard_close2u

learning the above had a problem moving from the A to B power chord so changed the fingering use fingers 234 to form the E then move fingers 34 to form the A then slide fingers 34 down and use finger 1 on the B works a treat.

Hi John,
If you have a question specifically about a lesson, you can ask your question in the topic that concerns it, this makes it easier for people to answer your question if necessary, and it keeps things a little clearer.
You can find these topics by clicking on ‘Discussion’ next to the learn more button …and scroll further down and you will find 'view full discussion…
Hope this helps, :smiley:
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/free-fallin-by-tom-petty-lesson/3383
Kind regards,Rogier

The first power chord shown in the diagram should be an F5 (F and C), with fretting for the fifth (C) on the 3rd fret of the A string, not the second fret.

Boy, @jwilbanks and @Shodan summarised my experience perfectly. I’m finding this very simple strumming pattern absurdly difficult to implement. I had Wonderwall and Wish You Were Here down pretty solidly after a few days but haven’t much to show on Free Fallin’ after two weeks. I’ve slowed it down to 40 bpm and can eventually get the pattern on muted strings (most of the time). I can even do that while playing the D chord, but add the chord changes, and it all falls apart. I call that progress. Maybe today I’ll get the D to G worked into it.

My other issue is these three chords require enough of a shift of my hand that I often inadvertently bend the B string, making the D chord sound a bit off. Then, the Asus4 often doesn’t sound great because of the index/middle fingers crossing awkwardly. I sometimes wonder if reversing them might end up being easier.

This song is a great teacher of many lessons.

2 Likes

This is certainly one of those songs that I feel it’s good to get the basic version down then keep working on it and improving it as time goes forward. Justin’s demonstration of working on song dynamics was tremendous and I’m really going to focus on it once I get the basics down.