Fretboard Oil

I am looking for a good fretboard oil as I am about to change my strings for the first time and want to treat the fretboard at the same time. Suggestions?

2 Likes

Cant go wrong with Dunlop 65. Fair price and does a good clean job. Easy with the applicator. Ive been using it for about 3 years.

Cheers,
Shane

4 Likes

This is what I use

3 Likes

Thank you!

I use music nomad f-one oil

2 Likes

Lots of foot options. I use McKnight fretboard conditioner. It is all natural home made by a very experienced luthier, and in case you get too close to your guitar, it is “food grade”!

I think you need to email them about it.
https://mcknightguitars.com/

I use plain old lemon oil intended for furniture and wood surfaces.

I use Dunlop 65, like sclay. Easy to apply thanks to an applicator, very yield. Didn’t try anything else so far, but I’m satisfied.

Plus one for the music nomad thing.
I also use the Crimson Guitars one which I think I like a little better but if you’re not in the UK it might not worth the money.

I use a product by D’Addario, planet waves, labeled Lemon Oil Cleaner and Conditioner. It was reasonably priced and seems to work well.
A little goes a long way.

Remember, not all fretboards need oiling. I know the Maple neck of my electric doesn’t have to be oiled.

I use lemon oil too.

2 Likes

Correct as Stefan said. I have some kind of fake wood called richlite or something on the fingerboard. Does not need oil… but i use lemon oil, but that is mostly because the nice smell :rofl:

Also you DO NOT clean a fret board with oil. You clean the fret board first then apply very little oil. if you oil a dirty fret board you’re just pushing the dirt into the wood.

2 Likes

That’s what I use.

2 Likes

I use Dunlop 65 lemon oil and I am satisfied with that.

1 Like

You guys oil your fretboards?

Personally I’d only do that if the finish was fading.

2 Likes

How can you get your fingers so fast over that freboard without the oil JK???
Imagine how fast you could be if you oiled it!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

:joy:

I use this stuff called Finger Ease sometimes if there is too much finger grease on my strings and neck, I used it to use windex but I think this is probably better.

No oiling fretboard though, don’t want to break the speed limit :joy:

1 Like

On a rosewood fretboard - thats not finished.

1 Like

That went over my head Shane

1 Like