Frog_Legs joining the Clan

Hello and greetings from the Deep South, USA. I began my guitar journey as a young teenager back in 1976. Back then I had a really poor classical acoustic guitar. The neck was warped, but that didn’t really matter. The strings were set so high above the frets, buzzing was never a problem. I did manage to learn a few basic chords and a couple of intro riffs.

Then for the next 25 years, life got in the way. During that time of other more pressing demands, the old guitar sat neglected and unused. It eventually disappeared during one move or another.

About 10 years back, I started working with a couple of guys (from across the country) who had spent their early years first learning to play then eventually making a living as musicians. We would get together occasionally and when the work was done they would play. Every now and then, I’d grab a guitar and fumble through something remembered from my youth.

It wasn’t long before I’d purchase a new guitar and started the return to my true roots. That would be porch music. We’d play old mining songs, campfire stuff, etc. Now I had the bug and a serious case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) to boot. Time still wasn’t on my side. I’ve stayed stuck at barely getting through a couple of songs before hitting the limits of my repertoire.

At 59 years old and four hand surgeries later, the guitar has become my rehab program. These days I’m a semi-retired drilling consultant for civil work. I’ve finally got the time to try and really up my game and I decided to go back to basics. I’m working on fundamentals, theory and try to unlearn some of my bad habits.

As I’ve told my wife, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

9 Likes

Welcome aboard! Dig it. I used to go with a gal that had frog_legs… Good times… Ribbit. :frog:

I like your story and look forward to hearing you play some of that porch/mining/campfire music.

1 Like

Hi and welcome,have fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Good to hear your story. Back in my late teens I remember dating a young woman from Harrisville Arkansas. Geez that brought back a memory or two. I’m relatively recently retired and enjoy the extra time it gives me to play guitar.

1 Like

Hello FL and welcome to our community :slight_smile:

I’m sure Justin’s course will help you get to where you want to be.

1 Like

Hello Frog_Legs, Welcome and nice to have you here :hugs:.
It’s great that you’ve come back to your roots.
Starting the course right from the beginning, is a good decision. Unlearning some bad habits and learning new tricks, is definitely worth it.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend :smiley:.

1 Like

Welcome @Frog_Legs

Justin should soon have some of those bad habits in check :slightly_smiling_face:

… sometimes those are the things that make us unique though so make sure to keep it real …

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to JustinGuitar and the community. Thanks for such a back story.

That is exactly the right approach and attitude. Be prepared for frustrations and to need to apply some patience.
If you need any help or support just ask.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

Welcome frogs_legs.

R.

1 Like

Welcome onboard! :blush:

Big thumbs up from my part :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:
Stick to your story, that’s the greatest resource you have :blush::100::blush:

1 Like