Function idea: practice random chord generator

Maybe an interesting feature to practice chord changes: from a list of chords choose the ones you want to practice (not only 2 but way more), speed you want to practice at (full notes, half notes, quarter notes etc). BPM should be adjustable
The generator then creates randomly a list from those chords.
Visualization can be like in the song practice

That would help me a lot as a beginner to not always practice the same or only 2 chord changes

Just an idea

Martin

Hello Martin,

One thing to think about is that you want to focus on chord changes that you are likely to encounter. Some chord changes aren’t essential to practice. As you progress through the course you will start to practice chord changes that you encounter through the songs that you are learning to play. The chord changes that Justin has covers in the course are the ones that he considers the most important for a beginner guitar player.

Best wishes,

James

1 Like

Hi James,
Thanks for the quick feedback. I fully understand the rationale. I was just thinking to get more automatism into any chord changes not just the usual ones would help with dexterity and eliminate the risk of forgetting an important cord change

You reason of course is very valid.

Cheers
Martin

1 Like

I think that the way to look at it is that Justin has designed this course to enable you to learn to play in the best time possible, of course everyone learns at different rates so there is going to be a pretty wide variation in the time to complete your current module, but if the course is followed faithfully you result will be the best it can be for you.
If this doesn’t concern you then go ahead, it’s not difficult to randomise anything really - just use a random number generator and allocate a chord to a number then use the random number generator to output random numbers between the numbers you have allocated to chords.
Here’s a RNG - http://www.randomnumbergenerator.com/

I’ve honestly thought about writing a simple spreadsheet to do just that. Enter a list of chord changes, click a button and a random result is spit out. Yeah, you should be practicing chords and changes in songs you’re learning, but that could mean you have a dozen or more to go through every practice. Randomizing the list means you won’t unintentionally favor the easiest at the expense of the hardest when you pick a handful to focus on each practice.

You could do the same for songs, styles, techniques etc. the help you vary your practice and stay out of a rut.

A while back I found an Android app that is designed to detect and count chord changes. It has preloaded groups of chords and also allows you to create your own customized group. Please see screenshots below. I’m betting there is a similar app for iOS.

Also, Harmony City is an educational app that is designed to detect chords as you play songs. You can look up songs and see which chords are involved.

I have found that the chord detection technology (in the apps I’ve seen) is only so accurate.

This is funny reading this thread as it rings a bell with me.

My eldest son has been really supportive of my learning, unlike my youngest who sticks his fingers in his ears :joy:

I will strum a pattern on a metronome and he calls out chords that he knows I’ve learned and I play them. I get not all chord transitions are worth practicing, but it’s a fun little activity to get my fingers moving.

1 Like

Justin’s One Minute Changes app can be set to random mode, and you can add your own chords - works great for this purpose.

2 Likes

This made me laugh a lot Zed. You’re sure to succeed with a fan group like this :smiling_face:

1 Like

I had no idea this was possible! Cheers!

I had no idea. That is good to know! Thanks.

Apps are a wonderful thing, becoming more sophisticated, and providing many different approaches to learning; in this case, chord changes.
However, I feel there’s a still a lot to be said for the written word. The tactile nature of writing it down, together with its permanence, I think is a great aid to learning.
From early on, I’ve always had 2 pages of all the main keys, with the 7 basic chords in each key listed below, along with some basic common progressions for each. Now, depending on where you’re at, you may not know all the chords yet. Thats fine. Having them written down in front of you breeds familiarity, and will give you a leg up when you come to learning that chord. You will have some basic understanding about where it ‘fits’, and be better equipped when it comes to more advanced chords.
As I said, there’s many approaches. This is just the way I’ve been doing it. Below is a screenshot of an example

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great responses and idea.

I actually did the excel spreadsheet solution but was not really happy with it as I didn’t figure out how to make it give me a new cord every x seconds.
Justin’s chord change app would be great if it would not stay with the same two chords for60 seconds but the random function is nice indeed. I am sure to use that

Rock on and thanks again

Martin