Furniture Setup

Does anyone have any setup tips for stools / chairs / just stand up you lazy get / when spending crazy hours practising.

Finding myself slouched on the sofa, head always looking over to fretting hand, not doing my neck and spine any favours.

Iā€™m trying to make a conscience effort to practice without looking over but is there any kit, Iā€™m thinking leaning stools or anything I could look into?

1 Like

I use a no arms office chair as shown in photo enclosed, usually not cross legged more often with a Guitar foot stool. Another alternative instead of the foot stool is to have a strap on your guitar but if you do make sure you have strap locks!

Yeah, Iā€™ve got the strap and grolsh washers. Took it off because gets in the way for a quick ā€˜pick up and playā€™.

Suppose it would be better practicing with strap so that playing while standing is less of a transition.

Cheers Darrell

1 Like

Yeah, I use those washers as well, not off Grolsch bottles though, you can get them from Am4z0n.

1 Like

@DarrellW I hope those come with beer :scream:

1 Like

Nope, itā€™s more me, I only drink real ale - sadly Lager to me is like šŸˆā€ā¬› P :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

From someone who has been learning a while then sitting down is probably the easiest to start withā€¦something that provides you a little support would be recommended (so you donā€™t slouch) and probably something without arms if you are using a single chair. Sitting down will provide you some support for the guitar on your legs and at this early stage itā€™ll be easier for you to see the fret board as itā€™ll be a bit closer.

When you first stand up to play it feels very different BUT it doesnā€™t take that long (a couple of sessions) before it feels quite normal.

Some like a very low footstool or rest to raise their right leg slightly.

1 Like

If I am lazy or having a very quick noodle Iā€™ll sit on the edge of the office chair, so the arms are not in the way but for general practice, I picked this up a store but its a bit of a hard ass for long sessions.

However, I now try and do 60% of practice standing up and all songs once I have the fundamentals under my fingers. It was very odd and awkward to start with but as Jason said doesnā€™t take long to adapt and I am now able to play some solo/impro work standing as well.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, think more standing will be in order if I get serious about the singingā€¦ā€¦

Cheers Jason, some of the guitar seats I have seen have a foot bar but you canā€™t have one side higher than the other Iā€™ve seen a few suggestions for a doctors stool which has a small back rest on, that may work with a foot stool.

Dave

On the stool in my pic I have it on its lowest setting, one foot on the rest, the other on the floor. As you can see it has a back rest, for people with very small backs. :rofl:

2 Likes

Might be worth checking out something like this >> Hercules FS100B Guitar Stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00724YJN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_YJEB92G95XHNF056C8V6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like