Gdim chord

I’ve got a song with a Gdim chord in. Picture below but I cannot get the reach with my little finger. Is there a chord I could substitute it with that is a little easier?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Less of a stretch Stefan, haven’t a Scooby about fingering though. :thinking:

1 Like

Play the Eb on the D string rather than the F#. Bar across all 4 thinner strings

2 Likes

I think I have seen that the m7b5 chord is often used in place of the diminished triad. @Richard_close2u should probably weigh in.

The Gm7b5 would be 3433xx. That’s just Toby’s diagram with the root on the 5th fret moved back to fret 3, giving you the b7.

1 Like

And a whole lot easier to finger :rofl:

2 Likes

For diminished chords I prefer the small version where you only play the thinnest strings.

These voicings sound nice:

X X X 12 11 9 = dim triad
X X X 0 11 9 = dim triad with open g string

1 Like

Looking at the drawing again I got confused as i now see the 2nd fret label though there’s a thick black line for the nut.

What I proposed is a dim7 grip and pretty easy to get under the fingers

1 Like

It will help to know what the overall progression os and the duration of the dim chord also.

1 Like

If it were me, I"d just find a Gdim triad somewhete on the neck, preferably close by, that fit with the song. Theres one right there in the diagram - just the top 3 strings - but I suspect the song needs something a bit lower in overall pitch.

1 Like

If you fret the fourth string three fret back it will still be a Gdim, but with a different chord function as the lowest note, and the grip will be that standard easy movable “zigzag’ (my personal term for it😊) shape.
As the theory overlords tell us, in dim chords consist entirely of 3 semitone intervals which makes them very easy to move around and shift

1 Like

That is rather confusing!

1 Like

Hi Stephan, I use the Justin chord generator when looking for alternative fingering.
Link here: Gdim Chord
Just type in a chord or multiple chords separated by a comma.
Cheers
Dave

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the replies.

@rorystrat Yes, now you’ve pointed that out, it does seem a little odd.

@Richard_close2u The chord progression is Em, Gdim to G. Does that help or do you need a little more?

Thanks Stefan, that helps but is a little scant for an overview of the functional harmony involved - if there is more then that would be great also.