We'll start off looking at our general technique for bending and vibrato, which comes from forearm rotation.
View the full lesson at justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/general-techniques-seth-001
We'll start off looking at our general technique for bending and vibrato, which comes from forearm rotation.
View the full lesson at justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/general-techniques-seth-001
Thanks Seth and hi to anyone who is using this course. I’ve not tried using my first finger to bend before and it certainly needs to develop a callous in the right place! That said, it’s really making me aware of my technique. Would you use this finger for anything other than a half tone bend, in reality?
No I wouldn’t. I think the most useful part of practicing those is how it teaches the technique properly for the hand and then the other fingers can follow.
Turns out, I needed all the technique fixes that were in this lesson!
But I especially noticed how I would always splay my fingers, making the index finger weaker, and I always wondered why sometimes it felt like I was grinding into the wood. Turns out I was pushing too much into the fingerboard instead of moving the string up/down across the fret.
Thanks for the great technique adjustments, Seth!
![]()
So glad you’re already seeing some improvement!
I definitely find index vibrato the hardest, but keeping my fingers together and loosening up my thumb instead of curling it over SRV style helps. What’s the hardest is when you do a bend to an index vibrato because your thumb is in the wrong spot for the vibrato if you’re curling it over baseball style for the bend
One thing you don’t talke about isn’t rh general that could be useful is amp and gear settings for good technique. I often practice on a clean tone or sometimes not even plugged in but probably not ideal for vibrato training.
I do think sustain is easier if plugged in with a bit of overdrive (nothing extreme) but I do a ton of practice unplugged as well - I think if you can make it sound good then, it’ll sound great plugged in.
I was rapt to learn that one finger per fret is incorrect. I thought that was what I was meant to be doing but I couldn’t and consequently felt like a fraud and it put me off doing bends. Now I’m back into giving it a go again. Thanks heaps Seth!