Give Me One Reason- Tracy Chapman- 23 May 24

I love this song and you did it great justice. Very impressive! Don’t know how long you have been playing, but I can only dream of being able to do that one of these days. As others have said, it is very impressive doing the Rythm then changing to lead and back to Rythm again. Top notch! Keep up the great work?

1 Like

Awesome! Really enjoyed your playing.
But on a more technical level, how did you manage to separate her singing and the drums completely from the guitar playing in the song, and overdub your playing into it so it sounds like you are her guitar player(s)? It seems to be with some software and/or hardware that I have no idea of its existence. How did you produce that?
Great job. Great song. Well done.

1 Like

What a great tune, well played sir :grin:

1 Like

Hello Ed. Thanks for the listen, and the kind words

Re separating/compiling it all.
There are various apps that can separate individual components of a song - eg. vocals, drums,bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, piano, synth etc.
I use one called Moises, a very popular and high quality app that does the job flawlessly. I use the paid app as I use it alot, but the cost is negligible really, over a year. So you can basically generate a high quality mp3 using any combination of instruments, vocals etc you like.
Being a guitar player, I’ll naturally be removing the guitar parts, and ‘steppin in’ in its place. In this song, I left in the vocals. In others, I’ll take them out and sing as well. Whichever way you like.

Then put your custom mp3 in a DAW (I use Reaper), play along with the track with my guitar parts. Next, synch/mix in the video, and you’re done. Essentially the same as being part of the band.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Well that was pretty awesome. This is one of those songs I must have heard 100 times, and didn’t know the name of it or who it was by.

Nice playing. A couple of minor flubs but who cares about that unless you’re a session musician. Loved the mixing in rhythm and lead.

Also, watching this made me think of something I see with almost all blues licks that I reckon might be absolutely key to the blues sound and I saw you doing a lot. The slides back down the fretboard at the end of a lick. I don’t remember any lessons where it’s specifically talked about but it’s in SO much blues and you did it great in your vid.

Wow! That was brilliant, Shane. Some nifty little licks in there and you fairly moved up and down that fretboard with total ease. Nice changing between rhythm and lead as well.

You never fail to impress me with what you put out. :ok_hand: :clap:

Hi Shane ,
:sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :boom: :dizzy:
Wow Don’t mention the flubs! and too much reverb ?..tsss … I remember well that I started this song about 2 years ago and was proud that I could play along so quickly … only no one told me that the fills and the solo was also part of it …A guy named Eric C did that in my video …Well S Clayw… can also do this trick :joy: :clap: :sunglasses: :clap:
I better get back to the practice table…

Absolutely fantastic to start the day with … or not actually because the music doesn’t get any better today I’m sure, :grimacing: :blush:

Thank you :man_bowing: :bouquet:

1 Like

That was great Shane, outstanding playing!
I don’t think there is a lot more to a perfect state.

Three things stood out for me:

1. Your picking with both pick and fingers 2 and 3 is very interesting.
    Since you combined both rhythm and melody, you needed a pick for the latter part, so I understand why this makes sense.
  2. I do think your version with both parts together is more difficult to play and constant jumping from one to another is not easy and natural.
    Was this intentional to challenge yourself? Why not two separate tracks for rhythm and melody?
  3. The voice and other individual parts are so clear in your backing track. I struggle to find good backing tracks online and I think you just show me the way with Moises. I will try it. :slight_smile:

Hey Boris,

Thanks for your input, and comments.

Yeah, hybrid picking is pretty much an essential skill to learn I reckon. I started awhile ago, and things are much more automatic now. Really opens up your options, and provides more tone variation.

To be honest, I like the idea of playing a song in one go. More challenging sometimes, but it pushes me to upskill constantly. Alot more fun too. Also, I couldn’t be bothered with compiling everything post performance. Thats not as much satisfaction for me. Occasionally I have, but its not the norm for me so far.

Yep, Moises is the go. I believe the free version is pretty much fully functional from memory, but limited in how many songs you can process. Try it out, without committing…see what you think…

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who took the time to listen; for the kind comments, and the feedback. Much appreciated.
Sorry I havent replied to everyone.

Its a great tune, and alot can be learnt from it.

Cheers, Shane

4 Likes

Really good job love it man. Always a pleasure to hear you play.

1 Like

Thanks for the post Shane, I had forgotten how cooool and groovy this song is and your rendition is really good and has the vibe. Thanks also for the notes - I had never realised that this was a 12-bar blues song (although there is a video floating around with Tracy + Eric Clapton that should have given it away), let alone this nifty trick with the b7 in the base line. So classy. I’ve just put this song at the top of my “play next” list.

1 Like

Tremendous Shane. Do love to watch you play.

1 Like

Thanks for that steer Mari. Fantastic version.

2 Likes

Good choice! I was watching her play this with thoughts to learn it a couple weeks ago. I looked thru my catalog of music and found that my wife bought this CD a long time ago. :slight_smile:

that sounded pretty good. The reverb was high, but not annoyingly high. Mixing the rhythm and lead looked like a challenge with the long distance to get from one to the other.
Also, thanks for the play notes. I have those marked to study later.
:+1:

1 Like

Shane,
Nice work, sounded great on this end. Nice blend in fitting into the backing track!

LB

1 Like

Oh my, very nice Shane, I like that.

I hadn’t heard it before , so thank you for that too. :slight_smile:

:clap:

R

1 Like

Always good to hear Tracy being played. I need to explore more of her work. I first heard “Give me one Reason” probably in 1985 or ‘86, while Tracy played in the local college pub (for $1…). Many of her well known songs predate her official career. She was amazing even then, as a college kid. I didn’t appreciate just how good (and special) she was at guitar, but I had a girlfriend at the time who was a budding guitar player and was a huge Tracy fan. Tracy was a year ahead of me and in the same class as the girlfriend. I only knew her through her performances, however.

1 Like

Wow, Shane! This is phenomenal. You’ve set the bar high for us new folks, and I love it.

1 Like

That sounds really good! I hope to learn how to use a pick and fingers at the same time… Also loved the theory insights - putting the P in PMT :slight_smile:

1 Like