GNS - August 2022 - Nighwish - Deep Silent Complete plus Within Temptation - Ice Queen

So, didn’t think that I’ll be back so quick, because after my vacation-trip to Turkey I contracted some COVID and for about a week was not in a mood to record anything, but, inspiration took me, and decided to do a little interpretation of Deep Silent Complete on acoustic. Mind you, the original’s music is totally different (night and day, you can say), but I pretty much liked what I’ve created. Also, it was a good song to practice F chord changes on :wink:

Chords used: F Em Am Dm C G/B F/C A

plus

Within Temptation - Ice Queen: GNS - August 2022 - Nighwish - Deep Silent Complete plus Within Temptation - Ice Queen - #5 by GNS

5 Likes

Hi Aurimas
Good steady thumb strumming technique on show there and your chords were pretty clean too.

You need to change your posture. From the angle of your shoulders I’d guess you’re leaning your right elbow on your knee or on a chair arm. If that’s the case then you must get out of that habit ASAP. Also try to get your guitar a bit more flat against your body. You’re angling it so you can look at the fretboard. That’s a bad habit too.
I’ve said right elbow. Are you left handed? If not then you need to change your camera settings and it’s your left elbow you have to lift. :smiley:

I’d also advise shortening your video. That one was more than 5 minutes long!

1 Like

Hey, sair, regarding posture, well, I can’t change it while sitting on an office chair, if I sit upright and get the guitar flat against my body, the guitar’s body bangs on the elbows of the office chair and the desk in front of it is the only good place to put my phone for video-recordings, so… No worries, I do normal postures while sitting on a sofa.

You are coming along nicely Aurimas. That F chord is looking good.

Some great advice there from @sairfingers break those bad habits before they become to ingrained.

So, before I delve into power chords, I wanted to record one last acoustic song, and decided to go with a simplified Within Temptation’s “Ice Queen” (which is about winter). Decided to use different strumming patterns for verses, bridge and choruses. Verses have D-DUDU, bridges strumming are following my voice lines (in other words, the strumming follows syllables), so it varies (but it usually is DDD-DD), and choruses uses D-DUDU-DU (or D-UDU-D when needed) strumming pattern.

Chords used: Am F Dm C G

Soundcloud link: https://on.soundcloud.com/iJvp

3 Likes

Nice job Aurimas. I don’t know the song but enjoyed your version. Keep it up!:+1:

1 Like

Hi Aurimas, I don’t k ow the song but you’ve come up with a good, strong rhythm, I think. Guitar tone nice on the recording too.

1 Like

Hi Aurimas,

I do like some Within Temptation - though The Heart of Everything album in particular.

Nice stripped own version. Good strumming workout.

Digger

1 Like

Your guitar playing is noticeably improving. Well done.

1 Like

I agree with JK, your improvements are great.

Enjoy the power chords Aurimas.

1 Like

Well done, Aurimas, sounded good and shows steady progress.