GNS - February 2023 - Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication [Acoustic]

Hello, all. So, it’s been quite a while since I posted anything here. Decided to record a fresh take of Californication. Simplified a song for myself a bit: a part of the riff, a part of simple strumming pattern + solo, and, well, this is it.

6 Likes

Well played, Aurimas! It is clear how much effort you’ve put into this. It (literally) sounds like you are progressing nicely.

Also a great song choice.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Very nice Aurimas, great spin on a classic song. :clap::clap:

1 Like

Nice job Aurimas and instantly recognizable from the intro riff. Well done :+1:!

1 Like

Good job on the playing Aurimas, I liked especially the intro riff and the thumb strumming which sounded really smooth and nice :blush:

1 Like

Well done, Aurimas. I especially like the steady strumming and the intro riff. And that you didn’t shy away from playing the solo. This doesn’t look easy. Congratulations :clap::+1::smiley:.

1 Like

Hey Aurimas, simplying a more complicated song and keeping the essence of it is a good idea as you progress. There’s definitely lots of improvement here from some of your earlier stuff.

As others haven’t pointed anything out yet, I’ll let you know the biggest gap that stood out to me as your timing and rhythm. Chord work looked and sounded good, strumming was relaxed. However the song didn’t flow as it should (even in a simplified version). Some of the timing needs a bit of work, however you slipped between 4/4 and 3/4 quite a bit, whereas the song is entirely in 4/4.

I’m not sure what your knowledge on rhythm is like. 4/4 means 4 quarter notes per bar, 3/4 means 3 quarter notes per bar. If you tap your foot on the beat with a constant rhythm, when you entered the pre-chorus section, where the chords change once per bar, there are only 3 taps between chord changes with your playing, when there should be 4. The intro is one “chord” (each half of the riff is over a chord) per bar, the chorus is 2 chords per bar.

I hope this helps a bit. If you’re struggling with timing, I’d suggest tapping your foot but also playing along to a guitar pro, the album, or the JG app backing track to really get the timing down.

1 Like

Thank you for the feed-back, much appreciate it. Some explanation regarding: 4/4 and 3/4 timing. It was deliberate on my part, I was aware what I was doing. Since I strum the chords while following my voice-line, somewhere in the past, I noticed that the ending of the pre-chorus and chorus strumming is simply too long for my voice, so I did 3/4 instead of 4/4. Maybe, it was a mistake, but, yes, I’m aware that the original was full 4/4 timing.

You’re progressing nicely on your guitar adventure Aurimas and that was a different take on a classic. Well done.