GNS June month songs

Hello guys, it’s me back with another AVOYP; this time with a Nightwish song called Ocean Soul from way back in time when Tarja was still their lead-singer. It’s my interpretation of a song based on the chords on ultimate-guitar.

I was debating whether or not I should post this, because, first of, half the song I decided to arpeggiate* (and, I don’t know, for my ears it sounds okey, but, maybe somebody has different ideas on how to arpeggiate chords) to not sound boring, and instead of Bm use B7 (cause I’m learning open dominant 7th chords) (and, if you listen closely, you could here dead notes at first while going to the B7 chord from D major chord). So, it’s kind of like an experimentation.

• Regarding chord arpeggiation, I used a simple template of a base note, the third string from the base note, the second string from the base note, and then the three highest strings from the highest to the lowest. So, for, example, Em would be 6-4-5-1-2-3 for D would be 4-2-3-1-2-3 etc.
5 Likes

So, I’m back with another song… stripped down version of Over the Hills and Far Away (Nightwish cover of Gary Moore’s song); don’t worry, this time I ain’t singing; I’ve speared you the ear-bleeding :smiley: However, the song starts I believe in 2:11 mark (because I do a lot of talking in the vid, which I don’t normally do, about why I’ve chosen this and the specific play style of it). And any observations are welcome, as always, because even though it may not seem that I do not heed valuable advices, I do, it’s just takes a lot of time to sink them in so to speak when learning on your own; and especially when you don’t have that much of a time.

2 Likes

Nice job on both of those Aurimas. Over the hills had some pretty fast chord changes in there, which you did great with and I thought you arpeggiation in Ocean soul sounded really good. A nice way to mix it up.

1 Like

So, as I’ve wrote in my learning log, I’m trying out the tabs for The Crow, the Owl and the Dove. So far, it’s just a free-flow thing (and that works for the theme song, but not for the verses though; so, yeah, as I’ve mentioned, once I memorize all of the passages gonna try with 60 BPM, 70 BPM etc. and increase it up to 90 BPM eventually). This is still a work in progress, but here’s how it sounds now [side note, phone recorder is trash, might have to increase volume):

EDIT: played the song through memory, so there are parts were I mucked it up :smiley:

Hi Aurimus,

you do an amazing job with finger picking. I think the B7 works just fine here. Keep working on B minor and one day it will just click and you will play it no problem. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

1 Like

Thank you. B minor, as well as G, A and Cm barre chords are in the near future to learn :slight_smile:

Okey, I did “The Crow, the Owl and the Dove” today in 90 BPM. In fact, it made me realize that I was doing that song in that speed all along, but the metronome also made me speed up the verse progression so it’s not as much disjointed as before (it is, at places kinda disjointed, because I sometimes kept forgetting what I should do after specific segment, but, IMO, it’s better than the previous track). So, this is take two of the song:

So, I actually today recorded three or four songs (because I had that much time), but decided to upload only one to not clutter this whole thing and to not seem as I’m spamming. The songs I recorded were re-record of Bon Jovi’s These Days (without any stops to change chords, as was the first upload), Guns N’ Roses Sweet Child O’mine re-record (but with the merry-go-round intro, however, down the neck, because on my acoustic it’s cumbersome to play anything higher than the tenth fret, maybe on electric I will try the original Slash merry-go-round intro) and Nightwish The Islander. And, well, since the last three songs this month was Nightwish, so, I thought it would be nice to end it for now with them as well.

I picked the simplified (campfire song) version of the song with capo on the third fret with chords used: Em, Em9, C, D and G. The strumming pattern for verses was D-DUDU and for choruses simple down strums on the syllables (kinda like Marco is playing in the original version).

3 Likes

That was a really nice melody. Thanks for sharing nice job!

1 Like

Hello Aurimas, I think you make really good progress :clap::+1::smiley:. Your strumming was very consistent and the chords sounded clear. I like the change of the strumming pattern. It makes the melody more interesting.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

I enjoyed that Aurimas. It’s really great to be able to follow your progress and to see how you have improved over time.

Sweet child o mine, you say? That will be a good one to see.

1 Like

I was debating whether I should add Guns N’ Roses Sweet Child O’mine with the merry-go-round intro melody (but done differently, up the neck via D chord shape) or something else, and decided to upload something else. I don’t think I ever did any camp-fire-song type of Robbie Williams repertoire (yah, even he is not safe from butchering his music from me :D), and I decided to go with “No Regrets”. The chords used were: Am, Am7, G, G6, Fmaj7, F, Em, E, D/F# and E7. The strumming pattern was your simple D-DU-UD-DUDU, however, when there was transitions from Am to Am7, G to G6 etc., I decide to incorporate them in to the bar and use them as embellishments on the DUDU in order to create some sort of melodic rhythm at times.