Going fully wireless - IEM

So far Iā€™ve found the WL-20 to have been a good purchase. To me they are built really well as with all other Boss purchases that I have made (Katana 100 Mk2, RC-500, DB-90). So I felt reassured that they would be a decent purchase that along with @Majik review of them. Enjoy ditching those cables and have lots of wireless fun. Iā€™ve still to try them out on the acoustic. I think Keith said they worked reasonably well when heā€™s tried them out on acoustic in the past.

Range is supposed to be 15m.

Iā€™ve charged and tried the Boss WL-20 now. Tone is good. Stability is not. Enough interference to be annoying. The amp is next to my desk. If Iā€™m right in front of the amp, with line of sight, around 2-3m, itā€™s fine.

If Iā€™m at my PC - about 2m away, but not line of sight for the boss dongle, it has breakups in the sound. Not really what I was expecting.

Iā€™m going to try some moving stuff in the room this week - the amp, try to get line of sight and also move a wireless mesh satellite thatā€™s close by to see if thatā€™s interfering (most of my wireless is 5ghz but you never know).

Iā€™ve not had any problems with stability or interference. There was something in the manual about a setting up process if you had interference issues.

I did that a few times. That process is meant to find clear wireless spectrum from what I gather. Same problem. Iā€™ll fiddle and see if it works, just annoying it was not a flawless plug and play.

Hi JK,
hey, thatā€™s a shame to readā€¦a false start,ā€¦it should work properly after 10sec,ā€¦good luck and i :crossed_fingers:ā€¦

1 Like

That is annoying. FWIW I have had some issues with the G10T on my THR10ii.

The problem is that wireless is subject to interference. And the wireless spectrum used by all unlicensed devices is the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands.

By ā€œunlicensedā€ I mean any wireless transmitter which doesnā€™t require you to buy a licence to operate it. The 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands are, in most countries, designated as ā€œunlicensed spectrumā€ so you can operate equipment in these bands without a license.

The problem is, everything then uses these bands and they get congested. WiFi, Bluetooth, DECT phones, wireless baby monitors, wireless smart devices, etc. all compete for this spectrum.

And, yes, wireless guitar systems too.

And because they all share the same airwaves, to one device, all other transmitters are ā€œinterferenceā€.

Itā€™s an unfortunate situation, but thereā€™s often very little you can do about it. In my case I improved the reliability by moving my amp to another location which was further away from the WiFi router. YMMV.

Itā€™s one of the main reasons I laid cat5e cable all over my house 20 years ago.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Oh,ā€¦I have just read a lot of negative reviews about malfunctions with this system from Bossā€¦line 6 I have not read yet ā€¦in my house (would come?)the system also comes between the wifi router and computerā€¦grommmā€¦

1 Like

I have a line6 G10, a katana air and a wl-50. Only the line6 was plug and play and interference free. Both Boss systems suffer interference and require moving around or playing in a different position, just moving the guitar 10 or 20 degrees can introduce the interference. I do have lots of smart home wifi devices.

My G10 is within a metre of my main router and never suffers interference. YMMV.

1 Like

Success!

Iā€™ve moved the wifi box to the other side of the room and the Boss WL-20 is much better. Was able to get at least 5m range with no dropouts with line of sight. A couple of drop outs when not line of sight as I havenā€™t moved the amp yet, but I suspect with moving the amp a bit those may be rectified too.

Also tried fully wireless - with the headphones too. And itā€™s great! No noticeable delay. Thatā€™s with the line out of my amp connected to my Scarlett, and headphones plugged into the Scarlett. Monitoring through Ableton sounds better than direct monitoring - not sure why that is, will need to research it.

3 Likes