Going fully wireless - IEM

Iā€™m thinking about going fully wireless for the guitar setup at home.

Doing a wireless guitar cable seems straightforward, with loads of options available. Eg boss or Line6.

Headphones is a different story. Bluetooth has lag, so thatā€™s out. It must be as close to zero latency as possible. Ideally Iā€™d like a well balanced sound and to plug in to either the amp or AI so I was thinking in ear monitors.

Most of the ones I can find online seem either wired or commercial systems.

Any recommendations for a good wireless IEM or headphone system for home use?

1 Like

Hi JK,
Yesterday I wanted to buy the line 6 G10 ii from Thomann (Germany) or Bax or another store in the Netherlands, ā€¦ Justin is very enthusiastic about it, and many people with him ā€¦ so after some thinkingā€¦ ā€¦unfortunately, not available here anymoreā€¦Iā€™ll keep looking after the weekend, but let me know when/if you order the line 6 and have it in your home,ā€¦good luck
Greetings

1 Like

Not available, wow. Maybe theyā€™ll get some in soon. Shops here seem to have them in stock but I havenā€™t decided which one to get yet.

Months and with some it says permanent and sometimes until further notice :grimacing:
called two stores where the site said available, ā€¦ but it was also sold out thereā€¦

Big world problems are nothing to it. :roll_eyes:ā€¦Lucky Iā€™m going to the Dutch coast in a hourā€¦ again for a day and a half (spent someoneā€™s birthday last week), eat, chat and ??? ā€¦but now with 12 male friends :milk_glass: :woozy_face:ā€¦so Iā€™ll talk to you a little later ā€¦Have a nice weekend,
Greetings

1 Like

I just got the Boss Wl-20 this week after reading I think it was one of @Majik posts. The build quality seems good and from initial run with them they seemed good. Iā€™ve still to try them out on the acoustic. The only thing there is no docking station, I think it was the next model up that comes with docking station. Keiths probably a good bet to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Wireless IEMs for performance use arenā€™t really a thing outside of professional setups.

All performance wireless IEM systems I have seen have a receiver pack designed to clip to a belt and you have to plug standard wired IEMs into them locally, so they are not totally wire-free like Bluetooth ear-buds would be.

Iā€™ve not used it, but about the smallest, cheapest brand name system I have seen is the Xvive U4, which is around Ā£250.

There are some interesting ā€œno brandā€ units on Amazon for less which may work, like the Mamkoes V5S which is just over Ā£100.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the WL50. The nice thing about that is itā€™s designed to work well on a pedal board.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

How about the Boss Waza air headphones

1 Like

Boss WL options seem decent, Iā€™d get a docking station one though. I think Iā€™m actually going to choose between Line6 G10 or G10S for the guitar wireless as theyā€™re both in stock at a few music stores near me. G10S looks like it would probably last me forever so might just go that one.

Bummer, thatā€™s as I thought it might have been from what I was finding when googling. The Xvive U4 is available near me, and looks decent, itā€™s small, not a giant expensive box as so many look like. 5ms latency is good. Still has that belt clip thing. Iā€™m wondering if that might become a PITA for a home setup.

The no brander on Amazon you linked, if you zoom into the picture theyā€™ve drawn their product on the DJ :smiley:. Limited marketing budget!

The Waza Air look pretty awesome and I did some research on them a while ago. Theyā€™re good for jamming by yourself. Unfortunately thereā€™s no way to record what you play (unless you mic the speaker cups) and you canā€™t get other inputs into them, like from my Scarlett.

After @Majikā€™s post I broadened my search a little bit to studio headphones and not wireless IEMs and found these: TMA-2 Studio Wireless+ | AIAIAI. Theyā€™re fully wireless with 16ms latency designed for use in studios. Something like that might be the go. Apparently wired headphones are around 5-10ms latency so 16ms seems pretty good.

I already have a Astro A50 gaming headset which is supposed to be low latency. Pretty hard to find specific values on it though. The most specific figure I found was 12ms from rtings.com. I feel like they canā€™t be comparing apples to apples though as their wired headsets are all 0ms latency. Makes me think I should experiment with these before buying a different headset though.

I think I might get the wireless guitar cable first to see how that goes while I figure this headset thing out.

If you just wanted to use the waza air for monitoring then just plug the wireless Tx into the Scarlett output, youā€™ll all get any other inputs to the waza airs. You wouldnā€™t be recording the waza air output, merely monitoring it but you could record all Scarlett inputs and you could do that wirelessly two with the G10 for example

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen this stated before and I donā€™t believe it to be true.

I would say wired headphones are pretty darn close to 0ms latency. In fact wired headphones should actually have a slightly lower latency than speakers.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

An option Iā€™ll look into. On first glance Iā€™d be concerned the Waza Air processes the signal through its virtual amp circuitry rather than just monitoring. But I havenā€™t researched it enough. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thatā€™s what I thought too. And must be true when talking about signal based on speed of electricity in copper.

I suppose the drivers take time to moveā€¦ but so do drivers in wireless headphones of course.

Iā€™m going to take wired as 0ms in comparisons as Iā€™m sure wireless latency numbers are measuring wireless time, not sound time.

Thanks Keith

1 Like

You could turn the Waza Air processing off by disabling all effects, or set it to a completely clean amp with no effects.

But that would turn them into really, really expensive wireless headphones.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Indeed it would Keith but only when wanting to go wireless and record. You could also use them for full capability in practice mode when recording isnā€™t required. So multi functional :+1:

1 Like

That is true Greg. I must admit I was briefly tempted with them myself, but I would want to try them first. And I already have a Pocket GT which has some similar capabilities.

In conjunction with some IEMs or headphones, thatā€™s good enough for me. Not wireless, but very portable.

I just wish there was some sort of belt clip for the Pocket GT.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Almost there with this setup. Seems like I may have had half the equipment already. The Astro A50s have a line in. With an EQ profile to make them behave more similarly to a studio headset, they seem decent and I canā€™t hear any lag.

I went to the local music shop today and the owner recommended the Boss WL-20 over the Line 6 as well. They had the G10S in stock but he reckoned it wasnā€™t worth paying the extra. So Iā€™ve got a WL-20 now, on charge, waiting to give it a go.

3 Likes

Hi Jk,
I have to pay more for the Boss here than the line 6 ā€¦ and it replaces a 3 meter cord it says ā€¦ I think thatā€™s not a too weak signal ā€¦ unfortunately for me not the solution yet ā€¦ Iā€™m looking very quietly furtherā€¦
Greetings and have fun with yours :sunglasses:

Edit:matter of better searching and I have found the same price in any caseā€¦and that of 3 meters range it says ā€˜emulates a cable of 3 metersā€™ ā€¦Sounds like a disease, but I have to do that too itā€™s something I donā€™t know about apparentlyā€¦I will wait patiently for your experiences with this system,ā€¦thanks in advance for that :wink: :grin:ā€¦

Edit 2: Iā€™ve found it allā€¦this one will be on my wish listā€¦if there is a lack of line 6 though, if it still shows up somewhere before itā€™s my turn (birthday gift) then i still buy it :smiling_face:

Yes, the 3m isnā€™t the range. The range of the WL20/50 is around the same (and, in my experience, better than) the Line 6 G10.

The Boss WL-20 emulates a real guitar cable of 3m.

What does this mean and why would you want this?

Real guitar cables have capacitance which acts as a filter and cause the higher frequencies to be reduced. If you remove this, your guitar will sound more trebley. Emulating the cable makes it sound more normal.

Edit: the Line 6 G10 also does this emulation of a 3m cable.

The Boss WL-50 allows you to switch this off completely, or to set it to ā€œshortā€ (3m) or ā€œlongā€ (6m).

Note that the Line 6 G10S has a similar switching capability.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks Keith,
I had just found out but for the sake of completeness very well that this is there now,ā€¦there will probably be more thinking ā€œhelp, only 3 meters???ā€, and that they will not read any further and do without anythings go furtherā€¦The docking station of the line 6 and then for the same price as the wl-20 appeals to me a little more and works just a little easier,ā€¦but well, thatā€™s a luxury problem i hopeā€¦
Greetings,Rogier