Good acoustic songs with picking (using a pick)

Hi peeps!

I am currently looking for songs recommendations which involves a lot of picking (with a pick!). I am quite proficient with fingerstyle but I am pretty sloppy with using a pick since I’ve never really dedicated an extended period of time to learning to use the pick. I am wondering if there are any acoustic guitar songs that use a lot of picking. Some songs I am working through includes Paint it Black, Californication, as well as Behind Blue Eyes.

Any recommendations will be helpful for me

• Martin
1 Like

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd to name but one of theirs for starters. Nice pattern as well !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a few ideas (songs that I play, or at least pretend to play):

Songs that have some riffage or melody picked out, but also have strumming:

• Needle and the Damage Done
  • Hey, Hey, My, My (or maybe it’s My, My, Hey, Hey)
  • Ripple
  • Friend of the Devil
  • Kodachrome

Songs that have a basic picking pattern played with a pick:

• Wonderful Tonight

Country flatpicking-type songs:

• Wildwood Flower
2 Likes

Hi Martin, I’m not yet proficient with finger style, though I am better with it than I am with a pick. I’ve also been working on my picking…a song to add to your list is Everybody Hurts. Justin’s lesson is finger style, but I’m fairly sure Peter Buck played it with a pick.

1 Like

Good Riddance - Green Day … Justin’s lesson on YT , some hybrid flatpicking.

Billy in the Lowground - Trad … A Bluegrass flatpicking tune that will get your alternate picking accuracy up to speed, (plenty on YT but this one will get you started on basics of the tune).

2 Likes

Here Comes the Sun

2 Likes

Can’t Find My Way Home by Steve Winwood, is a good picking workout, also in dropped D.

2 Likes

Some great suggestions here, I second Good Riddance and Everybody Hurts as good ones and I’ll add Unintended by Muse which also contains a pretty challenging (for me) picked introduction.

1 Like

Good one.

Actually, several of Justin’s lessons of Beatles’ songs involve picking out some melody and strumming, too. Some are played on electric, but I expect they sound pretty good on acoustic, too. Check out: In My Life, I Feel Fine, Day Tripper, Something. Oh, and I completely forgot Norwegian Wood, which is sort of a standard in this style. Check 'em out.

3 Likes

Also: Wish You Were Here

1 Like

Thank you all! I really appreciate you peeps selections and will definitely look into them!
I will focus on getting Californication down first!