Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) by Green Day Lesson

I’ve been working on Good Riddance for 2 months. I’ve seen the word arpeggio tossed around in the forum but haven’t a clue what they are and am not worrying about them in Module s 8, 9, or 10 as they haven’t come up in the lessons (at least not that I remember). I’ve having a hard enough time learning this in the App with the band track as I cannot get the tempo correct with what sounds like an orchestra playing all over the place.

I’m guessing the song would be easier to learn without arpeggios but either way you do not have to learn the recommended songs. However, it is recommended that whatever songs you do learn use the 3/4 stuck chords so you can get used to them. I’m still having trouble with Em7 and A7sus4. My 3/4 fingers keep sliding away from the fret!

Incidentally, I have not learned to play any of the module 8 songs well yet (though I keep trying) and have moved on to Modules 9 and 10. I did not want to stagnate my learning by being stuck on the songs. I will have these or other pertinent songs learned by the time I have to consolidate Grade 2, however.

1 Like

All it means is Broken Chord or playing individual notes of a chord one at time. Justin isn’t really playing arpeggios in the song he’s picking notes out while strumming. But in reality it doesn’t matter what you call it. It is a good skill to get under your fingers and Justin does a really good job of explaining it at the 4:49 mark Tagged as Picking Pattern on the web site video.

2 Likes

Thanks, @stitch , I’ll check that out. Maybe it will be something for me to play around with on my vacation next week!

1 Like

thanks for that i do not want to get stuck on one module i will have a go but move on

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t think you are expected to be able to play the more complex strumming pattern with the individual picked strings at module 8, picking individual strings whilst strumming isn’t taught until module 17.

I think just being able to play it with the ‘old faithful’ strumming pattern is fine for module 8, it’s a good practice of stuck 3/4 chords too.

In fact I have just had a look at what Justin says about it and it’s only there for the stuck 3/4 not the fancy strumming pattern, you aren’t expected to do that. You don’t have to play all the suggested songs, just pick the ones you like to practice the stuck 3/4 chords.

Good Riddance by Green Day is a pop-rock classic! It uses the 3&4 stuck chords, in combination with picking out notes one at a time while strumming. You’ll learn more about that guitar technique later on.

2 Likes

OK Kim sounds good will try that thanks

Hey @LunaRocket - I’ve recently returned to the forum after an extended break. I also got very very stuck on the ‘stuck 3&4 chords’ and had to eventually move on Module 9 or 10 while still working on them.

Which version of the Good Riddance have you been learning? One of the things that confuses me is that the Justin Guitar app doesn’t use the stuck 3&4 chords from Module 8. Should we changing the official chords from G, C sus2, D and Em to Big G, Cadd9, Dsus4 and Emin7?

Hey @Sound_Bound I was confused by this too. BUT, if you watch enough video online of Billy Joe playing this song, you can see that he is indeed using the the stuck 3&4 chords.

I can play the standard chords in this progression with my eyes closed but I refuse to play this differently than Green Day does…lol. That’s my own perfectionism getting in the way but the way I see it, it’s forcing me to become fluent in stuck 3&4.

*For the record, I don’t like the sound of the Cadd9 as much as I like the sound of a standard C. But this is the way it’s played…

Well done! :clap: AND, I love that you added the little F bit at the beginning. I think you even added a few more words there which everyone here can identify with!

This was actually a very purposeful and strategic inclusion in the original recording so good to see you doing it justice. It’s part of the song. You can’t play it without it! I mean, at least say “Fudge” or something. :rofl:

1 Like