Good RIddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day

Really good Mark, fingerpicking while singing is so difficult. The concentration required is huge and you did a great job. The thumb strum worked well too for that song. Good to see you back on AVoYP.

1 Like

That was great Mark. Yup, strumming without a pick takes some getting used to mate. I thought it came across really well. There are quite a few ways to strum without a pick. Each way will have an impact on the dynamics. Good work on the changes from picking to strumming to picking. All done whilst singing, well done fella.

1 Like

Awesome job! I love that song, and you did it justice. Not an easy one for me to sing as it’s above my range. I thought your finger picking looked pretty solid. Mine still has a ways to go….

1 Like

Hi Mark, that was great! Vocals and guitar worked really well together. All sounding good to me! Nice job! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks James, that change back to picking from strumming at the end of the song was the hardest bit to get sorted with good timing. I’m not sure I’ll end doing much thumb strumming but useful to have in the kit bag I suppose.
I’ll drop you a line to pick up our convo at the back end of the year. Hope you’re doing wel mate :+1:

@Traveler @nzmetal thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

I thought It was lovely, good playing honestly. :slight_smile:

R.

1 Like

Seems like you have played a fair deal guitar for the last months Mark, even if you have not been on the forum much lately…
sounded really nice. And what a stunner that acoustic of yours!!!

1 Like

Superb playing Mark. I enjoyed the singing too.

That is not an easy one to cover. Picking and singing, also not easy. So bravo!

Thumb strumming sounded good to me.

1 Like

Awesome work Mark, combining a lot of things here - fingerpicking, strumming and singing. The only thing missing is that you’re supposed to say the F-bomb after the 2nd false start, just like in the album version :slight_smile: I always play that little false start too whenever I do this one, but I cut it out the only time that I recorded it ages ago.

Your thumb strumming sounded nice and even throughout to me. Since I hardly ever use a plectrum, what I do sometimes is change from the skin of my thumb to the nail of 1 or 2 of my other fingers for specific strums to help mix it up a bit if it suits the song. That’s just a side note in case you want to explore more things without a pick.
But I thought your cover was very solid :+1:

I really enjoyed this . Thanks for sharing. What guitar do you have i really like the sound?

@Dro_1 Hey Sandro, thank you for the listen and appreciate the comments! I internalised the F-bomb to protect any sensitive forum ears :rofl: Nice insight on thumb strumming and how you mix it up in your playing, I’ll keep that in mind for the next song I go down that route for. Hope you’re doing well :slight_smile:

@DminorDame Appreciate the listen and feedback Kierra!! The guitar is a Faith - Blood Moon Series - Venus Cut. I’ve had it about 7 or 8 months now and I love it more and more each day / play!

This one is up there with the best of Green Day’s songs (imho); nicely picked and smooth transitioning in and out of strumming.
No point asking me anything about strumming … :hear_no_evil: … it is most definitely my nadir and at best, WIP.
Well played, Mark … :clap:

1 Like

Great playing Mark and I thought your vocals were superb :wave:t3: :smiley:

1 Like