Grade 1 Ear Training Test

You ready to level up? Only when you've been testing yourself for a bit and are ready to make the grade!

View the full lesson at Grade 1 Ear Training Test | JustinGuitar

Hey Justin. I love you. Things are becoming confusing in the site for me that started with the earlier version. I’m looking for ear training for all the intermediate foundations

1 Like

Hello @Richords and welcome to the Community.
Do you mean this: Ear Training Exercises (F1) | JustinGuitar.com

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Awesome lesson. Learning intervals are helping a lot to find melodies in different places on the fretboard

1 Like

I need more work. But I have a novel way of working with this.
I start here. This site gives a good way to hear random 4th, 5th, and 8th (I’m sure there are other sites like this out there). Then I play one of the intervals and try to replicated it on the guitar (note and interval). I play with this for my daily 15 minutes (“la - LA”), and then call it a day.
Come back the next day and take the test. However, instead of writing down the interval, I attempt to find the root note on the guitar - and then the interval that Justin plays.
Pro: Immediate feedback. Pro: I’m not memorizing the answers. Pro: Reinforces and tests ability to find notes on the fretboard by ear (and name them). Pro: Reinforces and tests ability to find intervals on the fretboard by ear (and name the notes). Con: :thinking: Not following instructions to the letter? Yeah - that’s actually a feature with me. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You recommend doing ear training before moving on to grade two, but I feel like I may have missed something in between because I am totally lost here.

Hi Kelli, I think Justin suggests starting ear training at the end of Grade 1. I’ve started the course during Grade 2, and it really helps me listen to music more attentively. You’re not expected to complete the entire course before moving on.

Can you give some specifics about feeling lost? What is it that isn’t clear? Maybe with that info folks can help you over this hurdle.

I did complete grade one before starting ear training, but I just don’t get the octaves I guess and perfect fifths and all. It just feels over my head. Maybe I should just start over.

It might be helpful to review the lesson Understanding Musical Notes in Grade 1 Module 5 and Intervals on the Guitar Neck from Ear Training Reference before starting over.

Hello Kelli.
Misty Blue! What a great song.

Don’t worry too much about the names of the intervals if you don’t understand them at this point. You can learn about that in the theory course if you want to.

The ear training course is about hearing the difference between notes. It’s a very useful skill but it can take time for your ears to develop.
Follow the course, play and listen to the intervals, your musical ear will develop over how ever long it takes.

If you are happy with Grade1, then I would move onto beginner Grade2 and keep doing a few minutes of ear training alongside.

1 Like