Grade 1 Exam: two songs - Chocolate Jesus and Mad World

Well, here it is: my very first post.

A bit of background: I’ve had a nylon acoustic for about thirty years now, but never taken any course and never learnt anything other than a few simple riffs. End of last year I’ve found Justin Guitar and decided to be serious about it; got a cheap entry-level strat to go along with the acoustic and began practicing - playing the electric with headphones works better for study since I do it at night when the family is resting.

I’ve been at the end of Grade 1 for over two months, basically feeling insecure about posting a recording, so I’ve postponed it. Until today;

Chocolate Jesus: using D_Du_uD_ strumming for the 1st half, and then all down strokes for the second part of the song; tempo feels a bit “insecure” at times.

heckler · Chocolate Jesus

Mad World: this song I can almost sing along the chorus parts without losing my strumming; but not yet ready for sharing, hence no singing here. Same strumming pattern throughout.

heckler · Mad World

Note: I’ve played this while listening along to the Justin Guitar app in “band+vocals” mode (as I usually practice, since it is quite a lot of fun). If I do it without the backing track my tempo does not hold as well, but I can do it too.

That’s it!

Appreciate any feedback, and whether this should be good enough to pass grade 1 :blush:

7 Likes

Hi heckler first of all well done on posting your first recordings! Now you can sit back relax and enjoy the moment of achievement as any next posting will be a piece of cake :wink:

All sounded good enough for me, steady rhythm good changes and no dead notes - I would say crack on and enjoy G2 :wink: all the best

Well done Claudio, it’s a big step posting first recordings. Both of these are musical, with good fretting and timing. I think it’s time to move on and have fun doing it :smiling_face:

Congratulations on your first AVOYP postings Claudio.

I’d say you have nailed grade 1 and are ready to move on to grade 2. Nice steady strumming and clean changes. Well done.

Congrats on the recordings, Claudio, both sounded good … steady rhythm, clean chords, smooth changes and liked the tone of your electric. Have fun with Grade 2 and now you’ve made a first recording, I encourage you to do so more frequently as you work through the modules of grade 2.

Souding good Claudio, very tight in fact, I’d definitely say that’s a pass. Enjoy Grade 2 :slight_smile:

Thank you all for taking the time to listen to this and for the kind words of encouragement. I will certainly be recording more on the months to come and will post here again. Cheers!

Huge step getting first recordings up. It definately adds some pressure when youre recording.

I would hazard a guess that many / most beginners would struggle with tempo for a full song etc without a backing track / beat or metronome to help keep time I know I do. Not somethign to worry about imo.

Well done.

Well done Claudio. A nicely played recording of the 2 songs. Good rhythm with both. Very clean strumming.

Awesome work! Congratulations. And can I just share that as a brand, brand newbie (I’m still strumming only on the 1 and learning the A and D chords) this is super inspiring so thank you for sharing your recordings with us. :slight_smile:

1 Like