Grade 1 Feedback Please!

Help me improve this course and get the chance to a video meeting with me. :)

View the full lesson at Grade 1 Feedback Please! | JustinGuitar

2 Likes

This has been an awesome start, thank you Justin!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve played guitar off-and-on for 55 years and taken lessons from time-to-time. This course has filled in so many voids for me and has been more inspiring than any of the other courses or books. I bought the app and am using the web site as well to look up questions I have. Iā€™ve gone through Grade 1 and plan to do a little more practice before starting Grade 2. I think my actual skill level is somewhere beyond Grade 1, but not very far. Iā€™ve never stuck with guitar for very long before getting distracted. Your lessons are inspiring and motivating for me. Iā€™m practicing more and feeling more confident about my progress. I donā€™t have any suggestions right now. Thank you for your approach and effort. Really enjoying the guitar now!

8 Likes

Welcome to the community Jim. There are lot of people here with
similar stories

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing guitar for 34 years, by ear and all self taught. I just wish your courses had been available when I started. Excellent beyond measure. keep it up. I will be going through every course you do - and the paid ones - I feel bad not paying you for the free ones - I will be donating, you deserve it. Truly exceptional body of work Justin. thankyou.

6 Likes

When you say learn by memory five songs before moving on , are you expecting that we should also be able to sing and memorise the words along with the chords?

1 Like

I hope not, itā€™ll be a very long time for me to do that and with my singing Iā€™ll get lynched beforehandā€¦

4 Likes

Justin, Jimā€™s words sum up what I would say. I suggest your site regularly for anyone willing to listen. But I honesty believe what you have here is really what the internet was designed to be - a place of learning. If thereā€™s a better site for any kind of instruction, I havenā€™t found it yet. Pearl Jam is where your voice is - maybe Dave Mathews Band as well. Cheers and thanks to you and all of your crew.

2 Likes

I am so excited for whatā€™s in store in the later grades. I was blown away by the content packed in this grade. This year marks two years of me playing guitar and about a month with JustinGuitar. And Iā€™ve learnt more in this month than two years watching youtube videos. And to whoever is reading this, godspeed to you on your journey.

6 Likes

Hey,

Iā€™m a 36 years old guy from Denmark who loves music and trying to learn to play guitarā€¦ or wait a minute, I actually play guitar now thanks to you Justin :slight_smile: before I started on this amazing guitar journey I saw I do not know how many guitar lessons online without being able to play an entire song, but now itā€™s running

You are super good at explaining how to and cutting it out in cardboard (danish expression :wink: ) so even I understand it. I want to highlight finger stretching exercise, it helps a lot on my stiff fingers and makes me faster to switch between the chords, and the trick with the G chord I take it well enough with the little finger on 1 string 3 finger on 2 string and 1 finger on 6 string and muting 5 string with 1 finger not quite as you explained it but think it falls naturally and sounds super good

Thank you for you and your team :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cheers Rob, Iā€™ll set my bar slightly lower, and try to memorise the chord patterns of five songs before progressing to Beginners Stage 2.

2 Likes

Hi Robin,

After memorizing how to play and sing 5 songs myself wondering the same thing you are asking about, I can guarantee Justin does not expect you to memorize how to play and sing five songs completely.

Butā€¦ itā€™s your journey, not Justinā€™s journey. If you diverge from or add to a prescribed program you only have something to gain and nothing to lose.

In the middle of the Grade 1 studies I memorized how to play a few songs and then discovered that I wanted to sing, so I started singing. And the first song that I sung was not one in Justinā€™s program but rather an old blues standard. I found this process so exciting and rewarding that I started learning how to sing many of the songs in Justinā€™s Grade 1 studies. And now Iā€™m even circling back and learning some of the complexities in these songs like the key changes in ā€œI Walk The Lineā€. I have also started transcribing some songs that I really like and that I havenā€™t been able to find written out anywhere.

And to anyone wondering how much time you should spend on Grade 1ā€¦ how does 4 years sound to you? :laughing:

7 Likes

Justin,

Grade 1 is very good. As in my post above I think you can spend a lot of time with just this material and never even ā€œgraduateā€. I think you may be able to do a bit more on strumming or rhythm in general, especially on how to practice effectively to get your rhythm more precise. Aside from that I think the material in Grade 1 is great.

-Dan

2 Likes

Hi folks just a reminder this is JustinGuitar not JustinSingsGuitar. Yes you need to be able to play 5 songs but singing is optional not mandatory. You just need to play the songs.

Simples

7 Likes

Hello @Someland welcome to the Community.

Great feedback, it sounds like youā€™re getting somewhere and having fun.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Hi Dan, Thanks for the supportive comments.
This is the second crack at Justinā€™s beginners course. I progressed to the first session of the intermediate stage of his original course and I found it just too difficult at that stage.
I decided to review from the beginning and just take my time. Like you I wanted to play and sing, but trying memorise the chord progressions I found big challenge the first time round and moved on, probably too soon.
I was late to the guitar and in a hurry.
I am going to slow things down and enjoy the journey. Cheers

5 Likes

That sums up a lot of us, I think. Why are we always in such a hurry, anyway?!

1 Like

I also struggled to remember chord progressions and lyrics, Robin. In the end I just used song sheets. And then to my surprise last year, suddenly I found myself more able to learn and play from memory. That was in my fifth year since starting with Justin.

4 Likes

Good on you for that self reflection Robin. It is a life long activity not a short term race. :slight_smile:

Having a lot of fun with this. After a few false starts with guitar over the years, this is the longest I have played consistently. I attribute that to the quality of this course and the way it invites you in. I especially enjoyed the song lessons that started with a simple version and added a little spice if you were up for it - much fun!

4 Likes