Grade 1 Feedback Please!

Hi Justin. Your courses are basic and complete for a beginner. Your explanations are easy to understand. I appreciate

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent and still improving method for learning guitar (and music).
I donā€™t know if it is natural or well thought out, but you break down the steps to learning very well. If someone finds your instruction to basic they are able to move on. If not they continue to work on the skillset until they are ready to move on. You also have mixed learning basic skills with fun that keeps me coming back.
I do think there is some room from clean up of previous attempts at building your courses. The references to the color system are distracting.
I would like to see the theory and ear training integrated into the courses a bit more.
Iā€™ll definitely be coming back for more and contributing financially.
Would also love to see some way to get some formal feedback.

Thanks to Justin and the team.

2 Likes

Easily one of the best online guitar course on the internet, I would recommend beginners to purchase Justin Guitar app, especially when learning from Justin himself.

3 Likes

Iā€™m now a Grade 1 graduate and used Justinā€™s Lessons & Songs app to get to this point, along with some prior, basic, music theory knowledge. Since there doesnā€™t seem to be a way (yet) to integrate the website lessons and the app lessons, In hindsight, I think I should have used the website more as I progressed through the lessons. I will be doing that with Grade 2. Taking this course has been a very positive experience. Like so many others have expressed, Justinā€™s approach to the lessons, pacing, encouragement, resources etc. are greatly appreciated and well received. And the songs app truly has made all the difference in keeping me going and measuring my progress.

Seeing Nitsujā€™s journey is invaluable! I also smile every time I see Justin wearing his cap with each lesson greetingā€¦what style! Iā€™m so happy to be on this guitar learning journey in my lade 50ā€™s - .thank you!

3 Likes

Hi all! Just finished Grade 1, Iā€™m still working on learning the 5 songs by memory, although, they turned out to be 7 songs, because my daughter gave 2 extra songs to learn. So far has been a really good ride, very impressed with myself thanks to Justinā€™s amazing ability to make things plain and clear. I will be getting on Grade 2 after a while, but for now, Grade 1 feels like itā€™s more than enough to be able to play casually at a barbeque or whatever. My only concern now is not driving my friends and family crazy with my constant guitar play :slight_smile:
Thank you very much for this!

1 Like

Justin you have litteraly Changed my life !!! I am eternaly greatful to you. :slight_smile: I am from Slovakia, living in Bulgaria now, so when you might be in one of those countries let me know so I can invite you for a beer.

I love music all my life and I never played I am 25 now, in the time span of three months I can already play and I feel confident developing, I love it.

To tell you why your course is great and why you as a person are amazing:
I love your positivity, smile, good vibes and how nicely you can emphasize that fun is important and still keep also the discipline in the course.
I love how the course is structured and I can feel that you have many experiences teaching, means simply you cover it nicely all and you know where people can struggle, so you tell them not to worry it will come just be patient and have fun.
I love the songs that you give us for practicing, many many of them are my super favourites and most of all its a great music.

It is a online course, but you are so open nice person that I feel as if you were in my room practicing with me.

One Big Thank you Justn.

Best regards and lots of love to you Justin, to people who help you with the website and apps to all the people in ours course and also everywhere around the world.

6 Likes

Many thanks for such wonderful feedback - and welcome to the community - recent posters @bradjenkins @pandaGuitarist @Bricker @AJ3876 @ali4Hopeful @Torm3ntor @DavidHanusovsky

1 Like

Hi Justin, Iā€™m a 62 year old second time around learner just coming to the end of Grade1 and making a start on Grade2.
Like everyone else on here I canā€™t praise you enough for your courses. And like many others I previously jumped around the internet looking for something but found nothing that compares to the structure, the simplicity, the method and the pathway of your courses that all builds up into a solid foundation.

Huge Thank You

As a previously frustrated learner its taken me awhile to settle into it. But now Iā€™m seeing the results of my practice Iā€™m much more settled into this way of learning. And I know that the methods Iā€™ve learned in Grade1 will serve me well going forward.

All I could add to Grade1 is something Iā€™ve done with OMC. I do omc with the metronome and all my changes were up to 60 several weeks ago but changes in songs were no where near as good. So I put all the chords for a song into omc. Two chord omc were on autopilot but multi chord omc pulled me off autopilot and changes werenā€™t as good. I left the tempo on 60 and just kept practicing until the changes became good and then in time went back onto autopilot. At that point I then added in open string up strums.
As Iā€™ve gone through this exercise over the last few weeks, chord changes in songs have become much better.

Just my tuppence haā€™penny worth - it works for me.

Thanks again
:guitar: David

6 Likes

I have also tried learning several times over the years but have usually given up after a short while. Its only since starting on this course that I realised why. In one of the early lessons it explains that with time and practice your fingertips harden and you donā€™t need to press as hard on the fretboard. Nobody had ever told me this before and I wrongly assumed that the finger pain was just something you had to put up with which is one reason I gave up. I also assumed that my left hand was just the wrong shape and size and did not realise that with time your muscles and tendons adapt. Since I started my 1st to 4th finger stretch has increased by over a cm. I also learned that there are usually alternatives for chords that are really hard (For example, in some situations you can get away with the easier the F maj 7 instead of the dreaded F chord). I also found that for some reason I find an F bar chord much easier that the standard F.
All these little tricks are worth highlighting as its so easy to just give up with things that initially feel impossible

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :notes:

1 Like

I was unable to play the first D chord cleanly. I simply could not properly shape my hand and fingers without my ring finger muting the thinnest string. I spent a lot of time on it (20-30 minutes a day; 5-6 times per week for 5 weeks) and tried a lot of angles, pressures and grips. I could not get that thinnest string to ring clearly. Perhaps my fingers are too fat or no longer nimble enough. Whatever the reason, I got completely frustrated and bailed out. Without much yet invested in it (first chord) and nobody to position my fingers for me or correct my problems, I decided it was not fun and not worth the frustration. The idea of getting my fingers correct 60 times in 60 seconds when I couldnā€™t get them right once in 5 weeks convinced me to quit. Not the feedback you hoped to hear but it is my true, extremely-frustrating experience.

1 Like

From not even knowing how to hold a Guitar 3 months back to playing Wonderwall, How to Save a Life and Layla on my electric Guitar, I canā€™t thank you enough Justin! You are a boon for people like me who work 9-10 hours a day and canā€™t afford more time to hire a personal teacher. You gave me the motivation to pick up the Guitar everyday and be patient with the basics first.
Now, looking at my progress, I feel that following your course was the best thing after buying the Guitar that I did.
Now, I am confident enough that I could learn a lot of songs with these 8 open cords in it.

I will definitely buy your course once I feel ready to move on to the next Grade. Canā€™t thank you enough Justin! Lots of Love <3

2 Likes

This a great, iā€™ve just completed grade 1, but i still have some parts to work on.

1 Like

Hi, glad to say that I enjoy your course very much :slight_smile: .
I am an older beginner (57) on guitar who played the ukulele before (started that in early 2020 during COVID19-lockdown). Justinā€™s way of teaching really suits me. I like to have a structure and the practice routines really help. Whatā€™s left now to pass Grade 1 is the five songs to memorize (I had a hard time choosing from the large selection :sweat_smile:) and some ear training.
In any case, I am looking forward to moving on to Grade 2 ā€¦

2 Likes

Brilliant introduction, got me far farther than other courses have before. Wish Iā€™d had this as a kid when I got bought a guitar because unsurprisingly Justin teaching you turns out much better than blind trial and error.

Only thing to mention would be in some of the practice routines the associated videos are different from the actual course content. This is fine of course, just preferred the more in depth nature of say the L6 6:8 and other strumming ones. Although granted, we should be writing down some patterns ourselves and getting our hands dirty.

Thanks so much for this! Well worth the money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have been talking it slowly with some breaks for travel and work, but Iā€™m still so happy with my progress. You have made playing guitar approachable and helped me learn so much already. Thanks a lot Justin!

2 Likes

@BurnsRhythm
@caseyq
@umangjuyal16
@Stephen50
@Chordy65
@frontendross
@MatthewClay

Many thanks for sharing your positive experiences and feedback. I hope you keep on learning and being inspired to practice and play for many years to come.

@Rcorso59 Iā€™m sorry that your frustrations got the better of you. Maybe in time you will come back and start again - and know that there is a community of people here who have been where you are and pushed across / over / under / through the barrier.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

1 Like

I wanted to add my appreciation for the improvements in the new course relative to the classic beginner course, which I completed a few years ago. I love the addition of riffs to the course early on and think that helps with later development. I especially appreciate the breaking up the consolidation into 3 parts (at the end of the grades and not at the end of the beginner course). That was probably my downfall in the classic course. Justin gave a long list of items for consolidation and I was frustrated and quit half-way through the consolidation phase and started the intermediate course too soon. Also the practice assistance is keeping me honest as I have mentioned earlier.

3 Likes

LOL. Wow, I feel a bit dense today. I filled out the comments form for Grade 1 in advance since I am still doing the consolidation and asked for an index to the intro and lesson and advanced topics in the song videos. When I was looking through all the song videos to pick out songs to memorize I noticed the markings or lines in the progress scroll bar at the bottom of the video. ā€œWhat are these?ā€, I said. Then I noticed the Select a chapter button below the video and there was the information that I had requested. I had gone through the entire Grade 1 without noticing. :smile:

2 Likes

I checked a few sample songs and verified that not all of the song video pages have a Select a Chapter index drop down button, so Iā€™m not totally wrong.

1 Like