Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) Cover

I’m trying to keep up my one cover a week output! I learnt this song from a Justin lesson. The picking of individual strings is untidy in places. I also shortened the instrumental because it sounds a bit boring without the string section.

I sang this song for my primary school leaver’s assembly. My friend was on guitar and I just sang…

For what’s it’s worth, it was worth all the while.

Let me know what you think if you get chance to listen :smiley:

CYPGMB

18 Likes

Sounded really nice - thanks for recording and sharing! Lovely dynamics. Definitely inspired me to give it a go. :grinning:

1 Like

You have great music taste buddy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It was great seeing this as I’m practicing this song right now, very tough to sing and keep the picking pattern at te same time.

Nice rhythm and the vocals are top notch as always, I loved that you did it a little slower than the original, it felt a lot more intimate.

Not much else to add, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi well done sounded great! I’ve learnt it by playing a picking pattern like Justin has taught first and then jumping on good old strumming to make it a bit more dynamic, your version was more subtle and definitely pleasant in its own way :slight_smile: all the best.

1 Like

Great work as always! I’m trying to do a cover once a week as well.

2 Likes

Excellent, Iain. Very worth while listen.

1 Like

Great stuff, keep them coming. It’s a song I’ve played for quite a few years now.

1 Like

Well played Iain. I didn’t notice any untidiness, but that is well above my level of playing so I can’t offer any real critique. Just really enjoyed watching/listening to your playing and singing. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to next weeks cover :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Polished, sounding good as always, Iain.

So what do you do for challenge, to push your development as a guitar player on (if anything) cause you you’ve got this play and sing down!

Have you done any local OMs yet?

1 Like

@DavidP I quite like to expand my repertoire even if it doesn’t necessarily improve my technique. However, you’re right that the only way to get better on any instrument is to start stretching yourself and experimenting. I have been learning Everything Reminds Me Of Her by Elliott Smith but it’s some way off at the moment, I’m also trying to learn Falling Slowly which is good for fingerstyle playing.

I’ve been really inspired by @KevinKevan to start writing my own songs… watch this space!

I haven’t played any Open Mics. I was in a band as a singer when I was younger and we played quite a lot around Sheffield so I have experienced playing to an audience :smiley:
Thanks for listening everyone!

2 Likes

Another great AVoYP Iain. Yes I’ve always thought your vocal was too good to be an ‘amateur’. :smiley:

1 Like

Very well done CYP. Awesome guitar and vocals!

1 Like

@sairfingers and @Bytron08 thank you for listening, appreciate your kind words!

That sounded great. Both the vocal and guitar playing is really really good.

1 Like

Iain

Well that one was another one played with feeling and panache. I must have missed the untidy bit where was that. Dynamics were well applied and it was a nice take on the song and I think it really suited your vocals. Keep them coming.:sunglasses:

1 Like

As usual, well played and well sung. :slight_smile: I liked the dynamics and the accents you put into the guitar playing. Sounded great.

1 Like

Amazing live performance, vocals and guitar playing were just great, I especially liked the vocals!
Thanks for sharing

Mike

1 Like

That was wonderful! Great technique, feeling, and vocals to boot.

1 Like

@tRONd Thanks for listening :blush:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner debatable whether it was untidy but I was aiming for the b-string on first upstroke but on a few occasions I was hitting the e or hitting the g. The g just sounds a bit duller but the e string doesn’t sound too clever.

@J.W.C thanks so much for listening. I do try to concentrate on dynamics a fair bit during my recordings because they would be a bit lacklustre otherwise! It’s good to know that I’ve been successful and folk are enjoying it :blush:

@MikeSebastianP Thanks for listening! Vocal take is fairly high up the pecking order so that’s great.

@TheCluelessLuthier Thank you! Good to know it ticked the right boxes :grin:

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

1 Like

Really great sounding!! I’ll add my appreciation for your vocals! Your performance inspired me, such a great tune

1 Like